1. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Blog platform recommendations wanted

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by erebh, Nov 3, 2013.

Ok for all the current bloggers, what platform do you use and why?
    Is it free or do you pay?
    Did you buy your own domain and hosting package or is it all included in some package?
    What features do you use such as videos, feedback, etc?
    Anything else you'd like to add?

I want to get into blogging and have looked at wordpress, joomla, tumblr etc but don't know where to start - any feedback is appreciated.

2. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I've had a blog on blogspot (with .blogspot.com in the domain name) as well as .com purchased through GoDaddy and hosted by blogspot and I can recommend them both. You open a blog there, then in the settings it offers you to buy your own domain, and the link takes you to a GoDaddy site. They also have instructions on how to redirect .blogspot to your domain in the CPanel. It's a bit nerve-wracking to do but it's actually very straightforward with step-by-step instructions, and if you run into trouble, you can ask for help on a blogger forum.

I have a .net on Wordpress also, for my photo site, and it's ten times more expensive, but you get some extra customisations and features. I can't say that I prefer it, but I have it all uploaded there with a custom theme, so I can't be bothered to change now. But my recommendation is for the .blogspot or custom domain through them, they're really cheap and user-friendly.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    erebh likes this.
  3. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Wordpress is great, and it's the one I use, but if you want your own domain i.e. not "cdsajhsdu.wordpress.com", then you will have to pay.

4. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

I also have a wordpress blog and recommend it. However, I use it mainly for a hobby (sharing poetry) and don't really use it for social networking or promotion purposes.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I have a wordpress blog, but after a few entries, I decided I'm just not a blogger.

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Wordpress. @T.Trian and I blog quite a lot. It's mostly for rants and self-reflection on the writing process, and has served us pretty well so far.

7. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I recommend Wordpress as well. You can use their software on your own domain and installation (more plugins/features), or use it on wordpress.com (might be better for networking with other bloggers). I can't speak for the free hosted solution on Wordpress.com, but the software itself is top-notch.

Really though, I think it really depends on what you're going to blog about. I've personally always viewed Wordpress.com as more serious blogging, and Tumblr and more casual. Never was a fan of Blogspot. But that's just me. I think each one has it's own "feel" - if you will - which could be important.

I would steer clear of Joomla, it's mostly used for larger websites and not blogging. I haven't used it in years but I remember it seeming very clunky and difficult to customize.