1. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

Relaying a fairytale in a story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ChaosReigns, Jun 9, 2013.

Im looking to put a fairytale (The Sandman) into my story, maybe not how it actually goes, but in a form of lots and lots of snippets, Im thinking of a YA/Adult book, that uses this fairytale but puts an almost sinister edge onto it, darkening something that is good, I know that The Sandman has been made sinister once before, but would it be possible to put my own edge on it? Itll start out like the normal fairytale where its fairly happy, (as its being relayed to 2 children) but as the children get older, the darker it becomes.

to put things simply here is what im asking

Could i use The Sandman in a piece of mine?
    Is it possible to Put my own mark on something such as that if i could use it?
    Does this kind of novel exist where the progression of a fairytale is marked by the age of the audience within the book? (the audience being 2 growing boys and the MC's husband)

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, unless you use any part of a current copyrighted version of the tale...

yes... it's often done in both prose and film...

i can't figure out what you mean... are you asking if it would fit the children's market or the adult market?... if so, it will depend on how you write it...

3. ChaosReigns

i was trying to aim the whole novel toward a more adult market, but, i was on about within the book whether i could portray the story in such a sense that as the two boys in the story got older, the more sinster and extended it become, almost into a dark fantasy type story with stark warnings. However i wouldnt use just the Sandman for this, there will be the element of my own mark where he appears in a part each time

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

still sounds confused/confusing, sorry to say... in any case, whether it will work or not depends on how well you write it...

5. ChaosReigns

thanks for your help anyways'

feel free to keep commenting :)

6. Ellsbeth

Ellsbeth New Member

Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier is a book loosely based on a Grimms fairy tale 'The Six Swans'. It is my suggestion to you to read the book and the original fairy tale compare the two and use it as an example of what you are trying to achieve (and if you really don't want to read them inbox me and ill tell you but im trying to avoid spoilers). :)

Yes it is possible through your characters.

Children often see the world as a fairy tale when they are young and as we age it is our experiences in life that slowly break down our perception of the world.

Consider the first time you realised that Some men and women are not the prince charming and princess characters we grew up to believe.

Its my opinion that to achieve making the story darker as they get older would to be subjecting them to experiences just like what we do in life. ie: the concept of death dosnt really sink in for children until the loss of their first pet.

Real Fairy tales are often dark on their own and were created to scare children: The big bad wolf in red riding hood is based on a rapist and teaching children never to go off alone and not to talk to strangers.

another fairy tale that does what you are trying to do is Hansel and Gretel: Life is great until they are dumped in the middle of a forest all alone and then the kind old lady who rescues them in her gingerbread house puts them to work and tries to eat the boy.

lesson: some old ladies are cruel old witches and you probably shouldn't trespass no matter how yummy the house looks!
    Hope that helps :)