1. Aconite

Aconite New Member

Senior cat acting fussy--not sure why.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Aconite, Aug 7, 2010.

I would not have posted this here, but I am trying to figure out what the problem is, and any considered opinions are welcome. Note she is definitely going to the vet on Monday, no matter what anyone says. I'm just not sure what the heck is going on.

My 12-year-old cat, Mookey, just moved with me from a house to an apartment three weeks ago. The first two and a half weeks were fine, and I am confident she was uninjured by the move (my dad was helping me move in after Mookey and I got settled, and would have noticed), but the past few days have been kind of strange.

She is a strictly indoor cat. She's eating, drinking, urinating, and defecating perfectly fine. The problem is that she is fussy about getting up: She cries when she gets up every so often (not every time) and hisses a little about getting up (again, not every time; about 1/3 of the time that she cries).

Other than that, she seems fine; when I pet her, she purrs and cuddles with me. She doesn't seem to have trouble walking, as she's moving around the house and not walking strangely. It's just the getting up that appears to be the problem. I visibly inspected her for bumps and bruises and could find nothing. What could be wrong with her? I have an appointment to see the vet on Monday; is this serious or drastic enough to take her to the emergency clinic instead?

Sorry for posting here. It's just so strange and I can't figure it out; I'm trying not to panic, but she is my first real pet (aka one that my parents have nothing to do with helping raise) and I have had her for going on seven years without any problems, so am not sure what's up.

2. Chudz

Chudz New Member

We had five cats when I was little, but that doesn't qualify me to say what is happening with Mookey. However, I do want to offer some compassion to you both during a scary and uncertain time. I really feel you're doing the right thing by planning on taking her to the vet. (Though, she may not feel that way about it, ;) )

Now, as to whether or not you should take her to an emergency clinic, that's really up to you based on what you're seeing and how you're feeling about the situation. Taking her to an emergency clinic will cost more than waiting for a regular appointment, but it also may offer peace of mind or at least clarity of the situation earlier for you. So it may very well be worth it.

Anyway, best wishes to both you and Mookey.

3. Aconite

Aconite New Member

Thanks for the opinion, Chudz. I have posted this in a few places to see what the consensus was, and it seems to be, 'Take her to the vet on Monday since she probably has arthritis, but she's not really hurt or anything major,' so that's good, anyway.

I wouldn't be freaked out if I had any real basis for comparison, but she is my first pet (I've had some with my parents, but I got her when I was in law school seven years ago and have had her--and no other pets--since, so...)

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I have a great fondness for cats, though I don't know very much about them.
    But my cat is about the same age, and he is acting fussy aswell. I think it might just be their age?

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

At 12 years, whilst there maybe something wrong, good chance she is just getting a touch arthritic.

I am arthritic and the most difficult thing is getting up, because you have stiffened up. I would guess its the same for the cat. I also noticed it in my previous dog from about the age of 15 (she was 20 when she died).

6. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    It could be stomach complaints; gas or fluid problems could cause Mookey to have little pains whenever she gets up, just as a human would if they had trapped wind.

It could also be issues with her joints, maybe? Perhaps she's strained one of her legs or feet, or maybe she's having pains around her spine.

Aswell as this, you might wanna check her claws - maybe there's some problem with them that only annoys her whenever she digs her paw into the ground so she can rise. It might be something as small as a broken nail, you never know - Pets can be incredibly fussy, as I'm sure you know. ;)

Anyway, good luck with your kitty, and let us know how she gets on!

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

It could also be that our cats have became rather cultured animals, and don't want the drival they used to eat. Who knows, you might come in one day to find your cat watching QI and reading Dostoevsky.

8. Chudz

Chudz New Member

That's quite understandable. I mean, who among us doesn't view our "pet" as one of the family? They are significant partners in our lives, and we love them appropriately.

Speaking for myself, I've told my pets many things that I wouldn't tell a trained psychologist. I guess I'm just trying to say that they're there for you too.

I would be interested in seeing a picture of Mookey if you have one available.

9. Aconite

Aconite New Member

Thanks for reassurance, all. Update, obviously a good one: I took her to the vet on Monday. The vet felt her back and she was slightly sensitive there, and then felt her stomach with no reaction, so we know it's not an internal injury. She doesn't think she has an injured spine, because she can walk well. She gave her some pain meds via injection, and I am giving her stuff from a syringe; she's fine now that she has the pain medicine, anyway (and will eat it right up if spritzed on some tuna, thankfully, so I don't have to try to feed it to her per se.) She gets medicine until at least Friday, although I'll probably order a few more staggered doses, lessening them, just to make sure she's OK over all. The vet suspects she pulled a muscle in her back or something like that, barring arthritis.

I have no current picture of her but will try to take one on my webcam tonight! (Depending on whether she sits still, of course.)

10. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Glad to hear it was nothing serious.