1. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Art! Help! Kind of... maybe!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by GuardianWynn, Nov 2, 2015.

Okay, so not exactly a problem. But I am curious what you guys would think.

So my work is fantasy, urban fantasy and I have a character with a special power and her eyes glow when doing it. CLICHE I think. Not sure if I am using that word correctly here.

Point is, my magic works off of a model or system. So I have to explain why her eyes glow. Now that I am actually writing this. I realized I came up with two things that I was treating the same but are in fact different and using eye change color as the result of it. Which means I now have a concept that explains something without a visual way to represent it.

Before I go ahead, let me explain what the two concepts are.

1. When a character is stressed, or giving it their all. The iris of their eye will shift color. To the color of there soul.

2. Some character have what I call an Arch, which is like having a second soul. When a person fully taps into this, they will go sort of like beast mode or demon mode. (or angel mode in some cases.) I figured I could represent this in the eye too. But I am not sure how. What do you guys think?

It is notable to say, this isn't a very important plot point. What her eyes do doesn't matter much. It is just a nod to the readr that she is different. Figured it should be cool at the same time.

Tagging people whom I think might have a cool idea!
    @Lady Marmalade
    @jannert
    @Lea`Brooks
    @dreamersky1212
    @ChickenFreak
    @daemon
    @Tenderiser
    @jaebird

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  2. dreamersky1212

dreamersky1212 Active Member

What if for scenario 1 you stay with the color shift, as it is an inherent part of them. While in scenario 2 the Arch color shift is like a ring around the outside of the iris, but doesn't completely change color.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  3. GuardianWynn

Wouldn't that be that be too subtle?

It seems no one would be able to see that kind of a change unless they were looking closely under calm conditions.

4. dreamersky1212

dreamersky1212 Active Member

Not necessarily if the color is eye catching vs the original like gold, silver, or some other iridescent rainbow of colors.

5. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Have you been reading my WIP? :superconfused:

A change in eye color is indicative of physical or spiritual draw in the divines in my world - not sure how much I explained online, but the lesser variant actually is radiant via a chemical breakdown. This is how it can be detected in darkness, but unless a character is actively looking for it - it is just not obvious. Through the magic of writing it is fair to show the reader such changes, even if just for dramatic effect.

6. GuardianWynn

In my case it is sort of like the flame of there soul flickering. I guess I am playing into the concept of the eyes are a window into the soul. Though technically not the only time it is visible. In the sense that users can create orb of energy. Which in theory could also be of this color.

So what is your story about?

At both of your guys. I just realized something I hadn't before. lol Thanks! That the Archs are technically second souls. I was thinking what I did was going to be uniform to all Archs but the Archs can have well unique soul colors too. Do you think the possible different types of colors the second soul can have should play into it?

7. Inks

Inks Senior Member

For mine? It is a manifestation of their divine and spiritual power... though the first part of my story focuses exclusively on the interactions of the divines upon the creation of the world and their struggle to exist. As it progresses they take a lesser role as civilization rises, but its already excessive in many aspects.

8. GuardianWynn

I think I have the new idea!

http://www.presentation-process.com/wp-content/uploads/block-arc-circle-powerpoint.jpg

This thread helped, just for making me realize the archs are souls and have there own color. But I am thankful for you guys looking. :D

Do you guys think it is a neat idea for the arch person to glow two different colored eyes at the same time in the way of the picture?

@dreamersky1212

Do you got any opinion on the second color Valorie should have? Her natural eye color is blue. Her own power is red and the other options are;
    Green
    Purple
    Blue
    Yellow
    Orange

It is funny because which color she would have would imply the possibility for a very unique power. lol

9. GuardianWynn

A better example of what I mean.

Anyone like this concept?

Thank you everyone for commenting. :)