Artificial gravity in Space!

Discussion in 'Research' started by chad.sims2, May 31, 2008.

1. architectus

architectus Banned

It does pose a lot of practical problems, but if written correctly most readers would buy it.

Richard Muller, the physicist at UC Berkeley got back to me on one point. He said there is a theory, not yet proved, that electrons are tiny blackholes. If that is correct then indeed blackholes can be moved about. But those are very tiny, even if the theory is correct.

I am waiting for him to get back to me on the question about using a blackhole for gravity on a ship.

A flying planet is an interesting idea too. If you had enough energy you could move a planet by warping space in front of it, meaning warp space in the direction you want the earth to move. If the warp was great enough the earth would fall into it, just as it is now falling into the warp made by the sun. If that device was attached to the planet, then the earth would continue to fall into the warp. Some ufologist believe this is the type of technology aliens use to fly their saucers.

2. architectus

architectus Banned

Oh also there is a way for blackholes to move through out space, because it is believe that at the center of many galaxies is a blackhole. That whole galaxy is moving, and thus the blackhole is moving with all the other bodies orbiting it.

3. architectus

architectus Banned

Okay I got the verdict. Richard Muller did not have a problem with being able to use a blackhole for gravity on a ship, but he said you might as well drag along an asteroid or the moon.

So the big problem would be finding the energy to move the ship. I think something like zeropoint energy works fine in sci-fi.

4. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

Just because something is a thery does not make it a fact. Fact: you can't make light go any faster or slower. Fact: the faster you go the slower time moves. Theory: You can't break the speed of light.

The way I see it from the experements conducted is that iff you pass the speed of light you can't see correctly because you are not running into light instead of it running into you. That falls with in known FACTS. Just because some people think science is never wrong doesn't make that a fact either. And I've read several SciFI books where they said such and such theory was wrong and gave their own fictionary correction.

LOL and NaCI you should go sell your servises to some third world contry. :) I'm sure they'd appreciat the help since they fail at making nukes so often. Korea forr an example.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Light has different speeds through different mediums, so light can be slowed down. In fact, physicists have succeeded in slowing down light to where you can see it crossing a large room.

6. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

Really? Thats awsome! I want to see light move! So if you slow down light can you move faster than it???? So that makes me think i'm right even more.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The actual limit is the speed of light in a vacuum. The speed of light through a medium is reduced because of interaction of the light with the medium.

The index of refraction of a medium is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the medium (structly speaking, the phase velocity - don't ask).

It has no relevance to FTL travel, but it is related to the blue g;ow in the water used to cool some types of fission reactors. The blue glow is called Cherenkov radiation.

8. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

That make perfect since, so no slowing down light, just make it appear to slow down then. Oh well, I still think you can travel faster than light by speeding up fast enough. :) But as for the black whole in the ship... I'd never want to have a black hole any where near me, the whole what if... game comes into play. :)