1. MrTypo2016

MrTypo2016 New Member

A gift for a warrior.

Discussion in 'Research' started by MrTypo2016, Jul 24, 2016.

Hi there I am currently writing a fantasy story in a video game rpg. And there is a character involved in a romantic relationship with a warrior woman (of the Military Knight variety rather than the Conan the Barbarina). I am currently writing in a side-quest to progress that romance and am trying to think up a suitable gift for the protagonist to make or find for her. Traditional romantic gifts are off the cards given her personality but it has to make an impression. I'm thinking something to keep her safe or otherwise assist her in battle. Which would make for a really easy quest reward option for the player. I wish to avoid the traditional route of spamming "gift" items to get +10 affection until romantic critical mass is achieved. I want the gift to mean something to them.

She already has a really good sword. Doesn't wear a helm. Doesn't use a shield. And a whole suit of armor seems a bit .. weird .. for a gift. I have been struggling to think up an exact thing. But the protagonist is the craftsman sort. It could even be something conforming to steampunk machinery molds. As such things exist in this world.

Seraph751 likes this.
  2. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

The issue I take with this is you are aking for a specific answer to a vague question. You said you wanted to avoid spamming a token friendship item. Yet, a item that is practia based on being a fighter is a generic token friendship item.

For an item to have meaning, there has to be a reason it has meaning. Which you have to write in.

It could be anything really. Heck, if the warrior mentions she loves cherries, then a basket of cherries is way more meaningful.

3. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Why not have him give her a helm then? That's highly important on the battlefield.

Shattered Shields likes this.
  4. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Speaking from experience... the most thoughtful gift for a warrior is some free time.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  5. MrTypo2016

MrTypo2016 New Member

Thanks .. you make a some good points. Has me thinking along the right lines anyway. It's sort of highlighted that I haven't really touched on that characters less .. critical .. preferences yet ingame. Which is why i might be running into trouble now. Time to take a few steps back and establish this character a bit more beyond her more practical side.

@halisme

It might be in practical terms .. but none of my characters wear helms. Personal Aesthetic choice.

@ zoupskim

While indeed I do not question your experience I would hardly say this qualifies as a romantic gift XD. A thoughtful one .. perhaps .. but hardly romantic.

Thanks for your help all of you :)

zoupskim likes this.
  6. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

Talisman in the form of a necklace to wear under her armor, a charmed ring, a mount, a coronet that acts as a helms to protect her head without compromising on aesthetics.

Something that catches her interest.

Shattered Shields likes this.
  7. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    A dagger, hand-forged by a century-dead reknowned swordsmith.

8. CrusherBrooks

CrusherBrooks Member Supporter

Sounds like in general you want there to be an element of practicality to it, and the craftsman should then make (likely craft) it into something romantic. Something along these lines perhaps:
    A whetstone in a box, inlaid with a small pattern of gems (to trade for her life if trapped behind lines, for example) or her favourite poem engraved/etched/painted on the lid. Have the wood smell like her favourite flower or some nostalgic smell or whatnot.
    A golden hairpin which is also a seal (you know, the type noble houses used for letter sealing). Again, this can serve as emergency currency in life-threatening situations while keeping her hair out of her face while warrior-ing about. Plus it'd look nice if she's not wearing a helmet anyway.
    Alternatively: he could just upgrade her gauntlets with heart-shaped suction pads so she'll never drop her sword in a duel again. :cool:. And a pink-and-white megaphone to yell at her enemies.

9. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

A beautiful, but durable, bracelet/carabiner for her sword.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

A mace , a dagger , some manner of enchanted weaponry, a horse, a falcon , a rare jewel/talisman , engraved greaves/arm guards,

11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Give her berserk, or the ability to summon something that will help in a type spot (like a Golem or something).