1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed

"As Told To" $ split?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Iain Aschendale, Aug 24, 2017.

Publishing? Not sure, but after all the hard work on the General Writing massacre, I'm scared to go there :).

I'm wondering if there's any sort of industry standard on the money split between an author (the person with the keyboard) and a source of the stories (semi-autobiographical). I ask because I ran into an old friend a couple weeks ago, got to catching up on the last thirty years or so, and I told him he should write a book. The dude could be the next Charles Bukowski or thereabouts, and it turns out I'm about the fourth or fifth person to tell him so (some of the others included his parole officer and his court-ordered shrink).

Now, I want to get him to write this. I've told him to read some Bukowski to show him that there is a market for stories from the downtrodden side of life, but if he can't put the stories to the page, I'd like to work with him on writing them up. Will we become millionaires? I doubt it, but it would be a good idea to go into the project (if we do) with a solid idea of what the appropriate financial split would be if we do.

Thanks for reading.

2. surrealscenes

surrealscenes Senior Member

I believe it is usually split by 'work done'. If ghostwriting, maybe a lump sum & a small residual.
    I think I have read that over the years.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I recently saw a video with Elizabeth Gilbert where I believe she said that she did a 50/50 split with the subject of The Last American Man.

Iain Aschendale likes this.