1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

asap

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by deadrats, Jul 15, 2018.

What do you think "as soon as possible" means in the publishing world? It most certainly doesn't actually mean as soon as possible. What's the longest you've ever waited on something that was supposed to take" as soon as possible" in the writing and publishing world? What do you consider a reasonable amount of time in reference to "as soon as possible?"

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

It depends on the size of the job. I've had quick edit requests from publishers that they hoped to get back within a day; I had a "proposal plus three chapters" request that they wanted ASAP but that meant in a few weeks.

So... depends on the job.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  3. deadrats

Oh, I meant when someone on their side says it to us? I know it all depends. It's not something a lot of people in publishing have said to me so I was just wondering what it had come to mean in other's experiences.

I guess when I've said it as a writer to an editor, I often mean to finish things sooner than I actually do. The same could be true for them. But I'm guessing it's not something that's said too often. It's for sure not something I've heard too often.

Anyone who's got a story, I would love to hear it. :)

4. BayView

I don't think I've ever had anyone else tell me they were going to do something ASAP. They've said things are "next on their list" or "a top priority" or something... again, though, what that means depends on how big the job is.

If you don't want to give more concrete details, I don't know how you're going to get more concrete answers.

5. deadrats

I was just wondering, and the things that have been said to you pretty much mean the same thing. So, when an editor lets you you you're a top priority to get back to shortly, I'm just kind of wondering what that had meant in the past with those who have more experience than me. I don't believe there are any concrete answers, but I would love to hear from anyone willing to share their experiences regarding this.

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I suppose, if you're feeling naggy and editorially suicidal, you could just ask them what kind of time frame their notion of ASAP means. Days, weeks, months?

Personally, I hate being in limbo. I don't mind waiting if I know approximately how long the wait will be, or if people keep me in the loop when timetables change. But expecting something to happen within a couple of days ...then a week goes by ...then another week ...and still nada? Just ...aaargh. It's especially galling when other things in your life are left dangling while you wait. I try never to do this to people myself, and I really don't like it when it happens to me.

deadrats likes this.
  7. deadrats

@jannert -- You totally get it. It can be maddening, no? Sure, I can just write and try to forget about whatever it is that's in question. But I could get an answer any second, any day, week, month... I don't know. It's coming asap. :)

jannert likes this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Aaargh. I feel your pain. :)

deadrats likes this.
  9. deadrats

I can't sleep. Too much on my mind. And I have a feeling that I could be in for a much longer wait than I would like. Still, I have to remember what it is I really want. And that's not a quick answer. There are a few things going on with me. Life changing? Could be. Nothing? Could be that too.

10. deadrats

Still waiting on my ASAP response. In publishing it would seem that ASAP is longer than a month of silence. I guess there's no hurry. I was just excited about this one and thought I would hear something by now. It's not like there aren't a million other things I'm waiting on and working on. I've seemed to have made an impression on some of the right people, but I'm not so sure how much of a priority that makes me if I am one at all. Might as well just plan on a three- to six-month response just like everyone else. Doesn't it suck to find out you're not that special?

11. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

An ASAP on "please deliver your short story to our magazine before our deadline to publish the summer issue" will be different from "please revise your 400 000 word fantasy epic and change it from third to first person POV" or from "of course, do send me the novel you mentioned at the convention yesterday". The first may be up to a certain date, it can be days or couple of weeks, the second can be whenever you're done because they just love your work and will be happy to publish it anyway, and the third one could mean you have to hurry because that agent/editor is really busy and their enthusiasm for your novel might evaporate as early as tomorrow.

12. deadrats

I'm waiting on them. They're not waiting on me. I know there's no answer, but I just wondered if other people have been in a similar situation.

13. deadrats

ASAP means a really long wait. It's cool. Just trying to chill. But here's another one. How long is a couple of weeks? It could mean three. Could it also mean twenty?

14. deadrats

What's the difference between a couple of weeks, a few weeks and too many weeks? What's the difference between ASAP and shortly and soon? Why do responses always take so long? I get it. There are a ton of people submitting a ton of stuff. To get through it all takes time. A lot of time. Places should just say that you're lucky if you hear back from them in a few months. How many months is a few?

15. BayView

Technically a couple is two, a few is three. But in the land of publishing? I really wouldn't count on it.

deadrats likes this.
  16. deadrats

Waiting... Still waiting...

17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    IDK, the indie publisher I sent my first book to, rejected it in 3 months
    vs. Baen publishing that took nine. I would say that was pretty quick. :p

So even at their fastest I would say sludge fast. o_O

18. deadrats

Hey @Cave Troll -- No one in publishing is in a hurry to d anything it seems. Some of my submissions were sent via a connection of sorts so I was told by the editors they would get back to me quick, but I think we're beyond anything being quick at this point.

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. deadrats

Another week goes by and the wait for getting back to me soon continues. And I've gotten this from more than one editor. It's a double wait. I honestly don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing or maybe I've been forgotten. Man, I am so important. Top priority. I think I've made it! ;)

20. deadrats

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I'm feeling forgotten. :(

matwoolf likes this.
  21. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

Feeling forgotten on the site or by the magazines?

deadrats likes this.
  22. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I reckon the editor is looking at this thread and laughing..." hey D/R's complaining about how slow we are again, put his submission to the bottom of the pile will ya"

23. deadrats

Maybe just a bit insignificant in general. Sigh.

24. deadrats

Wouldn't it be nice just to be thought of? Unfortunately, no one has time for that. ;)

25. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

Well that's a bit sad, and I doubt the editors have enough time to look at forums like these, all those stories to read.