1. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Is this realistic?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Duchess-Yukine-Suoh, Sep 30, 2013.

My story revolves around two people and how their lives cross. I could go on for a good while, but anyway:

Is it realistic for two people to remember each other from age 11-19 and then from 21-35 without any contact between the gap?

2. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Don't quote understand - can you elaborate just a bit more?

3. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

If you had a friend and you moved or something when you were eleven, would you remember said friend at age 19? Then, when you split up again at age 21, would you remember them when you saw them at 35?

4. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Ok, I get it now ;)
    personal experience (I'm in my early 30s) - people change a lot in adolescence, between 11 and 19. You may even say that we move from being children to being adults. On the other hand, between 21 and 35 - most of us gain weight, some guys loose hair, but those changes are simply superficial.

So you might say that your characters would have more problems recognizing each other in the first case, and almost no problems in the second case... Of course, you are writing a story, so don't worry too much about "is it possible"... It is possible, it's your story :)

5. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Ah, thank you! :)

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Goodness, Duchess, what you must think of old people. ;) Most people don't look unrecognizably different after a decade or two. And most memories aren't that bad before 80-90 yrs old. Yes, these people, with rare exceptions, would likely recognize each other.

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I just saw an old friend this past weekend whom I've known since we were 8 (we both recently turned 60). Although we've gone long stretches (the last about 12 years) without seeing each other, not only do we still recognize each other, we also can recall things we did together as kids.

Of course, we both play chess...keeps the mind sharp.

Now, what'd I come in here for?

8. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

Actually, this is the situation with my downstairs neighbors. They went to high school together, then 35 years later they met up again randomly in a resturaunt and now they are getting married :)

9. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

I notice you used the word "remember" instead of "recognize," so if you do mean recalling someone, I'd say definitely; I still remember some people I only met once or twice a decade (or more) ago. Guess some just make a permanent imprint on you, for better or worse.
    Recognizing is a bit trickier since some people can change really drastically. One of my sister's friends didn't recognize me when I was 27 and she had last seen me when I was 16. I'm just glad the change was for the better. :D

10. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I, too, am confused as to whether you mean "remember" or "recognize." I would certainly think the parties would remember each other, if they were friends. As far as recognize -- it is funny -- sometimes people recognize people who they haven't seen since they were little kids, and had not seen each other since. But 21 to 35 shouldn't really be a problem -- either with remembering or recognizing.

11. LegendsTheFour

LegendsTheFour Member

Yes. It is realistic, don't see why it shouldn't.

12. Flying Geese

Flying Geese Senior Member

im 22 and I remember my friend from third grade. His first, middle, and last name. I remember my kindergarten teacher's name. And my first grade teacher. Its totally possible. In fact its likely

13. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Of course you'll remember! Heck, I still remember my friend from when I was 8 and I haven't seen her since (I moved to England, she moved to Canada)! I also remember all my best friends from school and even a couple who weren't even friends with me. And I've lived in, let me count... how many places? 3 countries, for certain (HK, England, Czech Republic). I'm only 26 and I've lived in 7 cities in my life across 3 countries, and if you include the houses my parents have moved to after I left home, that actually makes 10 different places. I went to 5 different primary schools and I still remember a fair amount from most of these places.

And yes, it's not like the last decade of my life is a complete faceless blank because I kept moving! Lol :D

14. Pink-Angel-1992

Pink-Angel-1992 Active Member

There are stories where such things do happen in them.

If you're only friends for a short time, like a week or two when on holiday, it can be hard to remeber about them, but if you were good friends, you're most likely too. Depends on how good your member is as well; when my parents to us aboard, I made friends with some others that were on holiday there, though haven't seen them since and I actually find it hard to remember them that well now. As for recognising, that can be harder as people can change; some may not change that much, where other will and things that happen to them in that time can also affect them. Still it is possible; when I was in the lower end of Primary school, a girl from my class moved away, then midway through year 7 (first year of secondary school) she came back and I recognised her. If I remember right, I did play with her in primary school at break time with other kids, but that was it. A couple years out of secondary school, sometimes I may notice someone I recognise from classes I had, even if we weren't friend or hardly spoke.

It is very possible for your two character to recognise each other, even if they were just school makes and rearly talked, or even if they never did. If they were once friends, I'd say the possiblity of them recognising each other is higher.

15. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

I generally suck at remembering faces/names, but I will always remember/recognize one guy from my class (ages 6-12) whom I haven't seen in well over a decade. That's because he not only looks exactly like, but is, even as a person, almost exactly like Peg-Leg Pete/Black Pete.

16. kburns421

kburns421 Member

It is definitely realistic. Your characters are going to be 19 when they meet up and were 11 (about the end of elementary school) when they part. I am in my early twenties and still remember people from elementary school even if I wasn't friends with them. Heck, I still remember my best friend and my crush from kindergarten (both of whom I have not seen since kindergarten). I even have one memory of my best friend in pre-k (whom I have not seen since then). I wouldn't recognize them, but I remember being friends with them and hanging out with them. And, although I can't speak from experience for this one, I do feel I will remember people I know now even if I do not see them for the next 10-15 years. As others have said though, it also depends how much of an impact they have on each other or if they're friends for a while vs. a week. It sounds like they are going to be friends from ages 19-21 though, so I doubt they'd just forget the other existed by age 35 after two years of friendship.