Atlantians Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by naturemage, May 30, 2012.

1. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Thanks, Jess. I agree; the quality of writing on this site is pretty good and everyone's fun to work with. :D

I'm waiting to see what Monsoon and Mirror Breaker do next. (Yes, that's what I've been calling him in my head, LOL.) We're all on the edge of our seats.

BTW, nice intro, Heist. ;)

2. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Okay everyone. Villain's first post is up! I think you'll find him very interesting as well as confusing.

EDIT: Also, thank you so much everyone for joining. I did not anticipate this game to be so successful so fast!

3. SpitFyre

SpitFyre Member

@ JessWrite Nothing wrong with a bit of romance :p. feel free to write the sparring bit i don't mind ya taking control of my character to do it. If ya want help writing it send me a draft via pm and we will sort it out like that :)

im glad im not involved in the department store that villan is way to confusing for me XD.

4. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Ah... so she wants to play rough huh? I'm terribly sorry for my next post Mouse... but you did get involved ;)

5. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

The game has officially gotten to a level of awkward fighting. haha :p

6. AnonyMouse

Shoshanna? Rough? Never... :rolleyes:

Either way, I'm sure the Mighty Monsoon will save her. Just don't expect any Dara/Draco-style fawning. At best, he might earn a hug or a light kiss on the cheek. :p

7. SpitFyre

SpitFyre Member

Pfft you've got to have awkward sexual tension between all the characters otherwise wheres the fun XD.

8. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Props to you all, I think 30 posts in a week is a new record!

9. SpitFyre

SpitFyre Member

the weeks only just started i recon we can get to 100 before friday XD.

10. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

I'll have a post up soon, just waiting in LTW.

11. SpitFyre

SpitFyre Member

working on a post getting Draco and Dara to the hospital.

12. AnonyMouse

This scene is gettin good. :D

I'm not sure what Reflect is capable of, so I think I'll let the cops find out, LOL. Leave the trial and error to the NPCs. Them good ol' redshirts... ;)

13. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Woh Draco seems very powerful. Rebuilding a whole hospital that easily?

14. SpitFyre

SpitFyre Member

Not in a fight, would take hours to build something that was permanent. deliberately made it that way so my char couldn't create things in a fight that would last. anything that isn't built to last disappears when he shifts. when he fights he has the problem of dragon rage taking over forcing him to shift.

also using the logic that building something using the parts that were already there is easier then creating something from scratch.

15. AnonyMouse

Why would he need to do it in a fight when he can just turn into a 130 ft dragon and wreck all? :confused:

A character who can completely undo so much damage in such a short period of time is definitely too powerful. He seems to be able to do everything short of reviving the dead. The only reason for him not to use his dragon form is beause it would cause a lot of collateral damage. Now we've learned he can easily clean up the damage himself.

A character who can turn into a nearly-unstoppable beast at will is powerful.
    A character who can conjure anything his mind can dream up is VERY powerful.
    A character who can do BOTH is too powerful.

I'm not seeing any weaknesses to this guy.

16. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Mabye cut one of his abilities? or majorly nerf him.

17. JessWrite

Maybe we could defuse his all powerful-ness with being distracted by Dara? But, if he can't fix the mess, how should we get back into this? Investigate the situation?

18. Hex44

Hex44 New Member

He's not too powerful. His mind is still vulnerable. You could capitalize on the Villian Mr Mr. He also may be susceptible to poisons which is my area. Let the dragon have his powers.

For all we know he's the one who cause the hospital explosion. We see Huge dragon fly over the scene of the incident... Just another villian testing his powers, am I right?

19. SpitFyre

SpitFyre Member

a big dragon isnt much use against anyone with a power, yes he is big and strong but while he is a dragon he cant use his other power he is basically just big and strong. The creation is to fit in with his personality and to give him something other then just being a big wrecking ball, i never said it was easy for him to clean things up the hospital isnt fully built yet im planning on him not being able to do it.

in a fight its likely he would always end up in his dragon form due to his dragon rage. also he gets too close to people, might be a fairly big weakness in a person trying to fight evil people without hiding his identity.

And Hex you devious little bugger :p

20. SpitFyre

SpitFyre Member

Random Hypothetical fights (btw realy bad with names so dont be insulted if i cal them by their powers)

Dragon vs Galectia (have i got that right?)

Pins him to the floor with gravity a heavy dragon tripleing in weight has to be worse then a human doing same.

Dragon vs Dara

A dragon would have trouble catching her and im not sure on the limits of her powers but she could tie him up.

Dragon vs Monsoon

Cant bite or claw somone who can turn into water and can fight back using water powers to strike.

Dragon vs (ninja guy)(sorry)

Hard to catch, and strong so could strike at the dragons eyes ect

Darkness guy and poisons guy im guessing both are not much for open confrontation more on manipulation. im not sure how the fights would go. same for da vinci i don't really know how it would go

The dragon isnt ment to be his strongest power it is ment to be his weakness so he cant use his creation in fights i can see how the creation would be a problem in fights that's why i put the dragon form in. His dragon form is big and strong and hard to take down. Just imagine fighting against the dragon lizard things in the avengers just smaller.

21. AnonyMouse

Most of the characters have the POTENTIAL to be overpowered. Maybe Galatea could conjure a black hole to swallow him up, and the whole galaxy along with him. I mean, her profile doesn't say she can't, so it's fair game, right? No. A character is only as strong as you make them, and I've made up my mind that she will NEVER be that strong. Her weaknesses are clear in-game:

- she's meek
    - submissive
    - doesn't fare well in close-quarters combat
    - has to keep a clear mind to use her powers
    - and, should all else fail, there's always the shock collar
    (- or you could just shoot her. She's still human. Gravity won't stop a bullet.)

For the sake of the game, the story, the other players and characters, I don't want to write an overly-powerful character, so I make sure her shortcomings are expressed in my writing. If those shortcomings began to diminish, she would move closer to being an overpowered character. Even though her superpower has a lot of potential, it's pretty clear Galatea isn't the powerhouse she could be.

That's all I'm trying to say about Draco. He seems like he's inching closer to being that kind of character. Some of the things Draco did in that last post felt like they're coming dangerously close to crossing the line. His weaknesses are either brushed under the rug or nonexistent. He has a tiny little dragon rage flare up after seeing all the death and destruction, but it's gone in barely half a second. He has so much control over his dragon form that he can shift in and out of it at will to give Dara a ride and even half-change into it for exercise.

It all just seems so... easy. Too easy.

If the dragon rage is supposed to be his main weakness, and he snuffs it out like it's nothing and then, in the same sentence, says he's going to rebuild an entire hospital in under a day, what am I supposed to think?

Either way, the GM has the final say on stuff like this, so I'm just talking to be talking. Naturemage approved Draco, the same as he approved the others, so his powers aren't the issue. I think it's something more subtle than that.

22. JessWrite

I see Mouse's points, I wonder if we should've had a category for weaknesses. Every superhero should have one (2, 3, even 4), or it'd be chaos. Even The Hulk has one, and he can destroy practically anything.

Dara's weakness is her emotions...she acts quickly without thinking twice. She could get into a lot of trouble (or killed) for making one false move. And, even though she's done a lot of active sports, she's not good at them all; she just likes to try them. There are several she has the talent for like Skydiving (since she can cause her own air resistance, by making her body the shape of a parachute) and Martial Arts. But, for the others she just lives in the moment, and then goes back to the drawing board. :)

Dara is also limited to how far she can stretch of course, not more than 100 feet. She doesn't usually go that far though, since it can become dreadfully painful to uphold the form.

23. SpitFyre

SpitFyre Member

Im not trying to create an overpowered character either his weaknesses will become more apparent as the story goes on, i just liked the concept. he will always have his weaknesses its pointless playing a game if your character is all powerful so i will keep his weaknesses consistent throughout. and maybe in a few posts ya will see the idea i have in my head for him don't worry im not trying to be the most powerful at all i showed that draco can lose fights and lose them fairly easily when i was sparring with Dara il show his flaws more clearly in other posts and try to bring him out into the light a little better in my posts.

Just to be clear the half change stops his creation powers too i tried to show that by shifting back before fixing the punching bag. the dragon rage is more to force him to change into his dragon form in times of stress. in times of calm he can still have control over his shifts.

24. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Hugh has no way to attack his mind, he isn't psychic. The problem is that he's just rebuilt the hospital with almost no effort. It renders other characters redundant as he can stop the bad guy and undo anything they have done.

25. SpitFyre

SpitFyre Member

argh okay il change my post il get rid of the rebuilding the hospital its causing too much strife. Il work on showing the character flaws better in later posts.