1. Sarah's scribbles

Sarah's scribbles Member

Attempting a new field. cyber punk/ techno distopian future

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Sarah's scribbles, Aug 17, 2015.

If anyone is more fluent in these genre's I would love to hear what you do with them, but the story idea I am working on falls somewhere in the midst of this genre. The idea is that it's the future, or maybe the end of time, not sure which, there are robots, AI's, technological advances, however at the same time things are very bleak and dreary. We are scarce on food and money, the earth is spent and near plant less except for what we grow in our green houses, pollution clogs up the atmosphere making it hard to breathe. Animals are all mutated/evolved/deformed, including our pets and our food and the ones that hunt us.

Because of the lack of resources and the overall melancholy of the world, a new game was made, the dungeons. The dungeons bring the old age fantasy elements to life in a new setting. those willing to try the challenge may take on these dungeons and attempt to triumph it. those that can get rewards of money fame glory, weapons, so on so forth. But it comes with the risk of death, both from the traps and from the monsters/ genetical hybrids stored within. the sport also brings a bit of joy to those watching and gets people to start spending money to enjoy the games and everything.

Any tips for this type of setting or an overall plot I could attempt with it? I'm not looking to do any kind of bad government in charge or anything like that if you were thinking of prompting that to me. Also, for any who have experimented in this field, any tips? Tricks I could use or anything?

Hubardo and Aaron DC like this.
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Aaron DC likes this.
  3. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

I do not have experience but am keen to see the discussion, as it's my next novel idea.

4. Sarah's scribbles

Sarah's scribbles Member

OurJud likes this.
  5. Sarah's scribbles

Sarah's scribbles Member

If you would like to discuss it some I wouldn't mind. I'm making my MC based somewhat off the hard boiled detective idea. This video can show some of what I mean

Aaron DC likes this.
  6. Aaron DC

Woah hahahah I have watched quite a few episodic play throughs of that game. Forgot it was called Witcher, but yes, that is an interesting & useful source for inspiration.

7. Sarah's scribbles

Sarah's scribbles Member

OurJud likes this.
  8. Sarah's scribbles

Sarah's scribbles Member

Yeah. My character is somewhat based off the same ideal. The type of characterization of my "protagonist." Or at least, that's what I'm trying to go for. Haven't actually plaid the game for myself though yet. May someday

9. Aaron DC

Are you looking at making a loner type of character? I had in mind a small team. I quite like the dynamic of the show Elementary. Genius MC, really smart second, conscientious third.

10. Sarah's scribbles

Sarah's scribbles Member

Yes a loner but am currently contemplating him being approached by a small group wanting his aid and his services and him slowly becoming a part of them. I'm having trouble coming up with an antagonist for my story though.

11. Aaron DC

What about the end goal? Do you have an idea of where the story is going?

12. Sarah's scribbles

Sarah's scribbles Member

Somewhat, though honestly I'm not sure. The other poster posted a link to a list of plots and the one kind of got me the idea "Trash." Where the group becomes close and bonds together. My problem is I don't see some casual "Conquering imposing OP gover/tyrant/dictator or anything like that. Which is a bit of a common thing in the cuber punk field. as I said before there's the dungeons. The group will most likely approach him to join them for that.