1. DarkWoods

DarkWoods Active Member

What is your morning and everning routine when writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by DarkWoods, Feb 3, 2019.

Hi. I would like to know what is your morning and evening routine when you are writing? Be specific. I would like to take ideas from a few people and create my own routine.

Thanks for your help!

2. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

I have a self-created blend of essential oils that I put in my burner. Grapefruit, rosemary, ginger and peppermint. Gets my head clear and focused. In fact I'm going to put some on now and disable my bloody browser.

FreeShan likes this.
  3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Your routines for writing will flow from your life situation. When I was working, I could only write at night. Now that I'm retired, I do most of my writing-related activities (writing, planning, researching, revising or querying) in the early morning hours. I sometimes extend that well into the day, depending on what else my wife an I have planned. Evenings, I take off or have work for a not-for-profit on whose board I serve.

@Harmonices - the last four words of your post (above) are the operative ones.

4. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

Well, I'm a night owl and so I find my brain works best at night. Also after diner as I can't think when I'm hungry. I don't do anything fancy. Sometimes a hot bath before a major writing session as I find water relaxing. I usually come on here for an hour as like a "warm up". Gets my fingers typing and my brain thinking about writing when I answer some writing questions - gets me all passionate haha. Then from around 9.00pm I still and write. Sometimes for an hour sometimes until 3am in the morning. It all depends.

DarkWoods and Shenanigator like this.
  5. renkay

renkay Banned

work i think

6. ocat

ocat New Member

In the evenings, after all of my classes are over and if the weather permits, I like to sit outside and wait for inspiration to write.
    I've also found that things come to me when I'm trying to sleep at night, so I end up staying up and jotting my thoughts down as they come to me.

DarkWoods likes this.
  7. thiefacrobat286

thiefacrobat286 Member

I write during the early morning and late at evening and in between is just my kind of time off, nyaa

DarkWoods likes this.
  8. Intangible Girl

Intangible Girl Senior Member

Once I get all the 'life' stuff out of the way (eating, showering, walking the dog) I-- well, let's be honest, it's usually about ten o'clock by then, so I eat a morning snack and then ensconce myself in my study (a fancy term for the room where all my junk is, as opposed to the room where all my husband's junk is) by closing the door and then further isolate myself by putting on headphones and playing neutral music, then I read through what I wrote the day before and maybe the whole chapter or section if I need grounding and THEN--

then I can write.

It's laborious at times, but it works. Lately I've been more open to writing at night after work if I didn't get my word count in during the day, but I'm often too tired to make night writing my routine.

Shenanigator and DarkWoods like this.
  9. ThyRivalPoet

ThyRivalPoet Member

My routine consists of me sleeping until 12:00, brewing tea and proceeding to stare at my computer screen until something comes to me. In the evening, I will edit late into the night and then stumble off to bed only to repeat the process again the next day. It's healthy, I know, but its the greatest thing to me and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

10. DarkWoods

DarkWoods Active Member

Sorry everyone for the delay. I ajusted the notification settings so now I can receive an email when there are some replies to my posts ;)

Thanks again to those who answered my question. It's really appreciated.

11. DarkWoods

DarkWoods Active Member

Hi everyone. I would like to build a morning and evening routine to increase my efficiency when writing. I thought that I could take ideas from a few of you.

So my question is; What is your morning and evening routine when you are writing? How much time you spend on writing, researching, reading and any other tasks in a typical day? Do you write in the morning? At what time? For how long?

Thanks for your help!

12. DarkWoods

DarkWoods Active Member

Ah sorry, I forgot that I posted this one year ago :(

13. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I wake, I shit, I drink coffee, and I shower.

It is vitally important to get these in the right order.

Sometimes writing works, sometimes it doesn't. Today it didn't - I wrote code and learned about lightweight/embedded databases. I am a geek. I find it relaxing.

Evenings often involve gym and beer (never writing). It is, similarly, important to get these in the right order.

14. JayPee

JayPee New Member

I only write in the evenings because I like to work early and get home early.

For me, I need to read for at least half an hour and then exercise, which for me is a hundred burpees! Insane, I know, but staying in shape keeps me happy, and I need to be happy in order to write.

DarkWoods likes this.
  15. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

I am out of bed, usually around 5-5:30, writing. I go until I have to get to work and can usually get a couple of thousand words in. I'll go out to lunch every day at a local restaurant, I take a laptop and write the whole time. Then, late night, I'll get in an hour or two before I go to bed. In all, I get 5-6k done a day.