1. Francis de Aguilar

Francis de Aguilar Contributor Contributor

Austin Macauley. Experience

Discussion in 'Publisher Discussion' started by Francis de Aguilar, Dec 3, 2018.

Has anyone had any dealings with Austin Macauley Publishers?
    I have had a favourable response and wondered if they are worth considering.

Hmm, a quick search reveals much. Looks like they are Vanity publishers, and just want to take money from me.

Still, be good to hear other points of view.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose All killer, no filler. Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

they're a vanity publisher don't touch them with a shitty stick ... everyone gets a favourable response...because their business is to charge authors (generally about 3 grand) to publish

3. Francis de Aguilar

Francis de Aguilar Contributor Contributor

Yeah, gotcha.
    For a minute there...

4. Philliggi

Philliggi Member

I've submitted my story to these, before I saw this thread, and like you, got a favourable response.
    Reading between the lines though it's very generic and could be written about any book.

Its especially strange as I don't actually consider the book finished. The story is, but it's far from polished, not spell checked and I know at least 1, possibly 2 areas still need work.

I only submitted to see how the process works.

Is there anyone you would recommend me trying to publish with, as a first time author?

5. big soft moose

big soft moose All killer, no filler. Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

if you want to trad publish go with a recognised house - either big 5 or at least a known name... you probably need to try to get an agent first- but sort out the areas that need work and the polishing before you do anything else.

Or you could self publish

but don't for the love of god go with a vanity

jannert likes this.
  6. Partridge

Partridge Active Member

People behind these vanity firms deserve to be slapped in the face with a cactus.
    As somebody who has been involved with the publishing industry in the past, I can say that no reputable publisher will ask you to pay them for your work.

You will have to cough up some money to self publish (as I will be doing soon for my first novel) but nothing anywhere near 3k. My budget isn't even over £1000 and that includes and editor and custom cover.

Catrin Lewis and jannert like this.