Tags:
  1. N. J. Parkinson

N. J. Parkinson New Member

New kid on the block

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by N. J. Parkinson, Aug 7, 2017.

Hi all!

For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a writer. When fifteen-year old me found out that Christopher Paolini of the Inheritance Cycle was that same age when he began writing, I immediately thought, What's stopping me?. Indeed, I remember reading Austen's diary from when she was only thirteen and marvelling at her prose (and sass, one might add).

Then, as happens, I let all those dreams slide. My journals collected dust and I stopped reading, eschewing books for television.

Now I want to get back into writing. I've got a few writing projects going but, mostly, I want to write for me: for the joy and therapy. It's hard though, not to think about potential reactions to your work even when you're not necessarily planning to share it. I know I'm not a great writer so I'm joining this community to improve. Unfortunately, life so far has panned out in a way that's meant I've never had the chance to take a formal creative writing course. Here's hoping I'll learn just as much if not more from these forums!

Who knows, maybe I'll soon build up the courage to post some chapters, short stories or poems!

See you all 'round.

NP

2. Segow

Segow Member

Hi and welcome to the forums. In a world where far to many people are already planning a ten book epic and the casting the resulting blockbuster movie before the first draft is even finished, I'm so happy to meet a writer that writes for themselves!

~S

3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    GIR Waving.gif Sir.
    Good luck with your works and have fun.

4. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Hello :coffee:

5. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Welcome to the forum, N.J. :superhello:

I think you'll find you're in good company here. :supersmile:

6. N. J. Parkinson

N. J. Parkinson New Member

Thank you so much for the warm welcome everyone! I already find myself with more motivation to write after reading through various people's progress on these forums. I finally hit 20,000 words today on something I've been writing for over six months. It feels good to make that milestone, not that words matter. Pretty happy with the last few thousand words: I feel like I've improved an awful lot since I began this project.

Thanks again for the motivation!
    NP