1. NickKrig

NickKrig Active Member

Author's diary

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NickKrig, May 18, 2011.

Does it help your writing, as in you personally if you keep a dairy? take notes of things through out the day write in it what works, maybe interesting words or for nothing else to use for writing excersize? these all just speculations of what keeping one might do for me but i would like to know if it works?

2. JMTweedie

JMTweedie New Member

I keep a diary of sorts, don't always write in it every day, but helps for jotting down plot ideas as they pop in my head. I also use it to write the odd short clips to add to my scenes later on, just in case I forget.
    I also use it to keep note of any targets I want to reach by a certain date.
    I keep meaning to get a day-to-page diary, it'll give me more space to write in.

I also keep an online blog for my main character, it's in diary form in her voice, so that I can really get to know what makes her tick.

3. NickKrig

NickKrig Active Member

Alright, that's what i needed to know, im just trying to do anything that helps me get better. Those are good ideas. Thank you.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I tend to keep a journal of my thoughts about different stories I'm writing. I'll get a few lines or scenes in my head and write them down so I don't forget them. They usually can be fit into the story somewhere, so it's pretty useful. :)

5. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I jot down in a notebook anything I see that I particularly like, such as someone who has a certain quirk I like, or if I see a sign that I like, or part of a conversation I hear, and so on. It's nice to go back to these notes because they usually provide inspiration for my writing.

6. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

Write down everything and anything that piques your interest. You never know when you might use it in a story.

7. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I have a notebook I use pretty intensely but aside from a few lines, names and odd bits really quite rarely it's mostly full of first drafts and notes from university. I never think of it as a journal - just a rough workbook. I will write out plots and ideas and untested ideas ad stuff, but that's about it.

8. theemeraldskull

theemeraldskull New Member

I have probably 5 different types of notepads that I constantly use for various things... sometimes the meanderings of my mind, sometimes random poetry, sometimes songs, sometimes for ideas. It does help me, the more ideas I write down, the more ideas I get.

9. NickKrig

NickKrig Active Member

Thanks you guys, its nice to have input from other writers.

10. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

I happen to keep a journal as well as a "thought book".

I know a journal and a thought book may come across as the same thing, but it's not actually.

My journal is used for simply journalistic reasoning. As in, internal thoughts, emotions, feelings, etc.

My thought book includes EVERY SINGLE THOUGHT I have at that specific moment. It even includes doodles, quotes, equations, ideas, etc. My thought books follows EVERYTHING, when my journal includes A CERTAIN PART OF ME.