1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Authors voting for their own stories [Discussion moved from another thread]

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest' started by ShannonH, Oct 21, 2016.

1. ShannonH

ShannonH Contributing Member Supporter

When I made the original comment that became the opening post in this thread, it was mostly tongue in cheek. I didn't entertain the thought people would actually vote for themselves.

Reading through the comments here, it's clear that those who do so are able to justify it in their own mind. I don't particularly like it, or agree with it but if you're being honest in your actions I guess I can't complain.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I've generally assumed that people would not vote for themselves, which turns out to be wrong. I find it a bit bizarre.

3. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

We're not entering the Olympics here. And we don't really get anything for winning except a shiny medal. It's not like voting for ourselves is cheating someone out of money or some elaborate prize.

So I don't understand all this shame and disappointment that people vote for themselves. It's a contest for fun. I enter to win. And if I think my piece is the best, I'm going to vote for it. If my one vote pushes me into first place, great! I must not've been the only person who thought my piece was the best, otherwise I wouldn't have won.

It's just ridiculous.

Kara Gatsby likes this.
  4. ShannonH

Each to their own of course. If I was to win by a single vote, knowing I had voted for myself I wouldn't get much satisfaction out of it. I don't think anyone is required to feel shame over it, you are able to justify it to yourself and in the end, that's all that really matters.

GingerCoffee and Tenderiser like this.
  5. dbesim

dbesim Contributing Member

I don't vote for my own story and didn't in this contest either. However if needs be I'd like to be given the choice to do so. I was pondering this situation. Say you submit an extraordinary entry with a great storyline and no spelling or grammatical errors but another entrant has punctuational problems all over, doesn't know how to apply speech marks, doesn't use sentence construction appropriately, has an unentertaining plot, etc. Say you two are the only entrees in the contest. Do you vote for that entry because you're being 'nice' or stick up for your one because you can spell?
    This is why I'm content that there's a choice available.

Kara Gatsby and GingerCoffee like this.
  6. Steerpike

In that instance, I would not vote at all. There are other voters who hopefully are discerning enough to distinguish between the two stories.

LinnyV and Tenderiser like this.
  7. ShannonH

Personally in that scenario, I wouldn't vote.

LinnyV, Tenderiser and dbesim like this.
  8. ShannonH

Double post :eek:

Steerpike likes this.
  9. Steerpike

It has been my view since I joined the site that being able to vote for yourself is really an artifact of how the site works. It's not like the admins set out to create a system that allows it, they're just stuck with it. I always assumed there was a sort of unspoken agreement that people just wouldn't do it. It's discourteous to the other users of the site. I don't think any prize or lack thereof enters into it. People are putting time into writing their story, reading through the entries, and voting. All of that is cheapened by people coming in an voting for their own story, in my opinion. As noted above, if everyone does it then it becomes a wash, but it is clear from this thread that not everyone does it and therefore the folks who take the better approach to the community (in my opinion) are always going to start with a one vote deficit.

LinnyV likes this.
  10. dbesim

:) True. But say you really wanted to vote because you're excited to know whether it's him or you in the lead? Who would you choose then?

11. Steerpike

I'd refrain from voting until the end, but yes I see your point about being eager to see who was winning!

Honestly, I prefer the method used on a couple other forums I was involved in, where people ranked the stories 1st/2nd/3d place and simply PM'd their vote to the contest administrators. I realize people don't want to do it that way here, which is cool, but it alleviates the problems we're discussing in this thread, and the three-place voting system is also preferable to an all-or-nothing system.

12. Lea`Brooks

I've discovered Secret Third Option #3:

None of us get to vote!!

Since no one can seem to agree on whether voting for yourself is a no-no or a yes-yes, and since no one wants to de-anonymize voting, just make it so none of us can vote at all! Put together a panel of judges, people who haven't entered into that specific contest, and they (and they alone) vote for the winner. That way everyone knows who the judges are and no one can vote for themselves.

13. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Contributor

If yours is really the best, you wouldn't need your vote to win.

You'd really be happy with winning because of your own vote? I just don't get it.

Yes. If I could, I would definitely disable the option. To me, it's not a legitimate win if the author's vote pushed it into first place.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  14. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Hmmm, this may actually work very well. We could have a rotating panel of judges for each contest, with a rule that the judges can't enter that contest. I like this idea. :agreed:

15. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributing Member Contributor

I thought this result was to be a combination of 'people's favourite' & the 'judges' choice,' - the/our new way with contest organisationals?

Do we really want a return to a contest where the reading public decide on victory?

Where always the easy reader [horror hospital for example] wins everything - standards never rise for the ordinary folk to aspire toward literary lifestyle/complex, high forms of prose composition/our paper theatre...

Please, reach for the high windows, defend us from majority.

16. Tenderiser

I'm happy to organise panel judging if I get enough volunteer judges. :) I think we'd need minimum three, ideally five, for each contest to reduce the influence of personal taste dictating the winner.

17. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributing Member Contributor

So a story in last place might probably still win?

18. Lea`Brooks

Might have to start another thread for that. It's worth looking into anyway.

19. dbesim

@Tenderiser I was wondering what you would do in an event where an entrant wants to abstain voting. Is it not possible to include a button for people who want to abstain voting (eg an entrant) so that they may still view the result of the votes?

20. Tenderiser

I'm 99% sure the poll results are visible to everyone once the poll closes. If not, I'll include a screenshot in the thread announcing the winner. :)

21. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Contributing Member Contributor

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  22. Lea`Brooks

How truly condescending of you.

23. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Contributing Member Contributor

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  24. Lea`Brooks

What I know about writing has nothing to do with it. It's about you and your attitude. You come here with your nose in the air and your holier-than-thou attitude, acting like you're better than us because you're a "seasoned" writer and we're not (even though you have no clue how long any of us have been writing). You're more than welcome to leave if our smart mouths are a problem for you, but with the way you behave, I have a feeling you'll continue running into people like us.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    PapaSmurfberry and Tenderiser like this.
  25. ShannonH

Whether it was intended to be condescending or not, it certainly came across as such. We're all here through a love of writing and stay on the forum for our own reasons.

The amount of time a writer has spent on these boards and their own perceived skill level does not mean they can talk down to others, which is what you have been doing in your last couple of posts.

I agreed with you on the issue that started this discussion but I think it's only right to let you know how you're currently coming across.