Tags:
  1. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Best Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by JLT, Aug 8, 2017.

A friend of mine posted something on Facebook about keyboards. He said that the best keyboard he'd ever used was on IBM's Selectric III typewriter, and lamented that none of the keyboards for computers came close to that standard. I replied that there must be some out there, but that they'd be pricy. Afterwards, I got to thinking that since most computer stores sell by price, to people who don't use keyboards on a regular basis, they probably wouldn't stock the best ones, only the ones that people want to pay the least for.

It also occurred to me that if anybody knew about the best keyboards to be had, it would be writers.

So I'm asking the hive mind: What is the best keyboard you've come across that's currently on the market, and what does it cost, and where do you get it?

2. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

I think it's hard to say what is the 'best' keyboard for any particular person. Most people are satisfied with those cheapos, because the expensive ones don't provide enough improvement to justify the costs. The quality of a very basic keyboard is pretty good these days, and in this world of Coke cans and cats on the desk, who wants to invest in something that will be fried in three months.

I *do* find smartphone and tablet "on-screen" keyboards frustrating, but yet, other people think they're just great, for example.

Having used an IBM Selectric III, I have no idea what your friend is talking about. Maybe the concave shape? I think the best route is to try some out to see what features you need in a keyboard.

My favourite keyboard at the moment is the Apple Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad. Wireless (no snaggy cord, connects to all my computers, including the tablet), charges with USB cable (no batteries, no special dongle - yay), and has a forward delete button, which is a must-have because I make so many mitsakes mistakes. Downside: pricey.

3. Walking Dog

Walking Dog Active Member

I favor mechanical keyboards because those are the keyboards I grew up using. It's possible this is the type of keyboard your friend is talking about. Do a search on mechanical keyboards. There's a few options out there.

4. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

Write me down as another one to like the Apple Magic keyboards -- though I don't have the current one. I use an older wireless one (still using standard AA batteries, last a LOOOOONG time) without the numeric block. I also have an older wired Apple Keyboard with numeric block, same flat design as the magic ones, which I do like, too, but I seldom miss the missing keys (and like to use my USB ports otherwise). And since I have those two that serve me perfectly well, I don't want to sink that much money on the new one (despite its steadily increasing siren lure – SHUT UP, DONT BUY YOU NOW :) )

There are lots of people who like the big chunky mechanical keyboards of yesteryears (not really, since they're still made) -- that's how I feel of them. Outdated and clunky. I really like the short travel of the flat keyboards. I can understand the need for physical feedback, as some keyboard feel too rubbery with no real click to me. But that's just me. Whatever feels right to you.

Re. their pricey-ness, I've looked around, and there are a ton of cheapo rip-offs ($20-30 range) that essentially look like the same form factor as the magic keyboards. But, never seen them in person. Which is what I need. I need to feel them before I buy.

I'm not really fond of touch keyboards, though I can make do with the fairly large one on the iPad. I can type rather fast on it; but I frequently mistype, and the correction functions within iOS are still somewhat awkward. Some apps have specialized keyboards that add extra keys, including cursor keys, that work better. Still not as nice as a physical one, though.

5. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I have a standard cheap Dell keyboard. It's got nice action and I can type at full speed without anything ever sticking. I also only buy keyboards with removable keys because I rearrange them in a dvorak layout. I'm not sure if it's noticeably faster, but it prevents other people from using my computer. I do that instead of just buying a Dvorak board because the hardware is still mapped the same way so ASDW still works in games despite not actually being those keys anymore.

6. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I agree, and for me, that's the problem. Most of the office supply stores don't let you actually try a keyboard out for any length of time, or even have an assortment of keyboards beyond what comes in the box with the computer. That's why we rely on the recommendations of other people.

Some of these recommendations are pretty worthless, though, particularly the ones that come from Amazon. All too often, you'll see people giving reviews after only a day or two with the keyboard. What I want to know is how a keyboard feels to them once they've used it for a couple of months.

7. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

Yes, I can see why that's a problem.

It's not for me, though. I can determine fairly quick what I want. I don't need to test drive it for a long time. Just going to a big box home electronics store and checking out the demo units is good enough for me... though the selection is pretty limited there. Over here it's mostly the current Microsoft, Logitech, and one or two of the usual suspect companies that rebrand Chinese cheapos.