Avengers x oc big points in plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by savannah cohen, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Ya snooze, ya lose.

Xoic likes this.
  2. savannah cohen

savannah cohen Member

thank you!

3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

It might not be that Everybody Loves Ella (sounds like a sitcom, like Everybody Hates Raymond), it could just be because of the polyamory. Quite literally Everybody Loves Everybody!

4. savannah cohen

savannah cohen Member

Exactly, although I am trying to make it so that everybody almost likes Ella a bit more than everybody but their special person (already explained) because she's that one bit of normal in their life that they never had before, being a group of superheroes in an unusual relationship situation, but she thinks that everyone hates her, until she realizes that in fact, she's truly just as strong as they are in her own way

Xoic likes this.
  5. Xoic

I think that can definitely work, but it's good to be aware of the Mary Sue problem and try to avoid it. It's become a massive problem in a lot of moives lately, and tends to ruin everything it touches. Like She Hulk for instance. Traditionally story depends on the MC dealing with their issues, as difficult as that is, and eventually succeeding through hard work and grit, and on sacrificing to help others when necessary. Mary Sues don't sacrifice, they instead smirk and act superior rather than being humble and decent to other people. You see them in characters like Captain Marvel.

Being a good person depends on struggling, sacrificing, and being decent toward others, so stories should support that kind of character, rather than the Mary Sue, who is narcissistic, entirely self-obsessed, and blames others for all their problems and then goes around trying to make everyone look bad.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  6. savannah cohen

savannah cohen Member

Yeah, I don't want her to be like that at all, especially with the fact that I have Morgan in the story, plus Ella's twins, then Wanda's twins, and Nat's unfortunately unborn son, and then her own triplets. Thats six children. I don't want her to seem like a bad role model towards them

7. Naomasa298

See, that's a plot point with lots of potential there. What happens if Nat's son from another dimension is somehow pulled into this one by Dr. Stramge?

8. Xoic

I was thinking in some way, helping Ella through the trials of early motherhood allows Nat to be something like a mother to her, albeit only a proxy one. Her good mother maybe, opposed to her actual bad or enabler mother. But it makes motherhood another powerful theme.

9. Naomasa298

There is another abused female character who went through her own journey of self-discovery - in fact, two of them, Gamora and Nebula. What's Ella's relationship with them, and how do they see her, given that they both appear to be her polar opposites (in that they both have trust issues)?

10. savannah cohen

savannah cohen Member

I really like both of those ideas, as with Ella's first pregnancy, pretty much everyone but Nat, Wanda and Pietro run off and get to be scared while Nat sticks by her and tries to protect her from being too alone. It's why she asks Ella to get pregnant at the same time as her and Wanda, because she feels as if Wanda can protect herself, but with Ella, even without her son, she has someone to protect. I was thinking of making her Bucky and Ella's godmother as well as the fact she is another mother to her, because of how Nat was Ella's first love in the group and how much she has helped her

11. savannah cohen

savannah cohen Member

The Guardians don't really get involved with the Avengers, at least it's not in my plan yet, but if they did, I suppose they wouldn't really understand each other's approach but they would, no matter what, stick by each other and stand up for one another even if there were no ill meaning from the person. For example, if someone joked about the strip of metal in Nebula's head, Ella would force them to apologize despite it being a joke

12. Naomasa298

See that would make for an interesting set of character interactions, where they both gradually come to understand the other's point of view.

13. savannah cohen

savannah cohen Member

That is somewhat true, but at the same time, Nat is Ella's girlfriend so she can't really be like a mother towards her. Just a very supportive partner

14. savannah cohen

savannah cohen Member

and their different experiences with the same situation

15. Xoic

From my own life experience I don't really agree with this. A person can be mentor and mother or father figure to somebody, no matter what their realtive ages or what their relationship is. It comes down more to one person knowing or having experienced what the other one still needs to learn, and caring enough to help them.

My own mom was pretty shitty in many ways, not far from Ella's. In my early 20's I got a job at a restaurant where my manager was a woman not much older than me. In fact, come to think of it she was about the same age. She rapidly became what I came to think of as my good mother, teaching me lots of things my own mom probably should have but never did. Later in life I moved into a duplex and the guy living on the other side became a mentor and father figure. I've had several father figures in fact, some better than others, and each teaching me very different life lessons.

16. savannah cohen

savannah cohen Member

It's not the age that is the main problem with that idea, it is the fact that Nat and Ella love each other in a romantic way instead of a mother-daughter figures way

17. Xoic

Honestly I don't think that precludes mentorship either, but of course it's your story and you need to write it in whatever way feels right to you.

18. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

This isn't a joke?

19. Xoic

No, it's fan fiction. Those are often built around some sort of alternative sexuality involving the characters in a well-known franchise. You should look up the one called (ah crap, I forget now—something like Cupcake. It's My Little Ponies fanfic, and pretty shocking from what I've heard).

EDIT—it's Cupcakes.

20. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

ah, not really familiar with that world. No offense @savannah cohen

Xoic likes this.
  21. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

As someone who reads and writes fanfiction but usually doesn't touch OC stuff with a ten foot pole, reading this thread in this forum is very fascinating.

Xoic likes this.
  22. Xoic

Lol yeah, it ain't exactly the Avengers we're all used to , is it? :D

But one of the first things I had to leearn on this forum is to leave my own biases at the door when I come in, and be able to talk about ideas divorced from the specifics.

23. Naomasa298

I'm assuming OC stands for Original Character?

24. Xoic

I had to ask the same question. From page 1:

Naomasa298 likes this.
  25. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

Kind of? I mean I've definitely I think read some OC x Avengers stuff when I was younger--but it was less like an actual Original Character but a Minor Character that didn't get a lot of screen time/personality so the author could've effectively used them as an Original Character. And I used to read them that stuff back in Phase 1 of the MCU, so it was more self-contained, if that made sense.

Yeah. OC means original character. Now the real question is if this is a SI OC in an AU or if this is a OC in a CD or what. (I'm joking).

Either way, OP, don't know if this is the best place to ask, not a lot of fanfiction-y types here. I feel like you're better off asking in a Wattpad discussion group or an Avengers-specific discord or something. Most of the people here don't know much fanfiction terminology.