Average Daily Word Count?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by MzSnowleopard, Sep 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

I try to write 1000 words a day but often fail to get there! I think more important than the actual word count, at least when you're just getting started and trying to open up those creativity floodgates, is to get in the habit of sitting down and thinking about writing, your stories, and what you want to say. Sometimes you don't succeed in that word count, but you might end up learning something important about a character or setting.

2. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

since I tend to struggle to write, as I need to be in a certain mental state (immersion) to be able to find my writing meaningful, keeping track of the word count is a good way to make me stay put on my seat until I hit the target. I have to spend some time on my seat before "things appear to me" (hope this makes sense). As I struggle, on a bad day I aim at 500 words a day, on average 1000. When it is about plotting and developing the story then I go higher because any kind of writing will do (it is more about chasing words to fix on paper/screen than anything). A limit doesn't mean I will stop there: if I am in the zone I just keep going. But I must admit that anything beyond 3000 words becomes delirious.

There are times where I don't write for two or three weeks, mostly because I am doing something else that mentally spoils my writing, but I might be brooding an idea.

I have a chart of word count from different famous authors: most people write consistently between 500 and 1000, few exceptions go to 3000.

3. MzSnowleopard

MzSnowleopard Member

I switched from counting to trying this 'time frame' concept. Ya know something, it works. That's all I'm saying.

deadrats likes this.