1. dhampirefangs

dhampirefangs Member

awesome, unique super powers for my characters

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by dhampirefangs, Dec 21, 2018.

The characters of my superhero project are representing the four elements – water, earth, fire, and air. Now my problem is: I have no cool powers for the water and air character. And it’s boring to use those obvious powers like flying or controlling water. So, do you have an idea?

P.S.: For earth I have geokinesis and seismokinesis. For Fire, I have fire controlling.

2. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

That depends on what the characters are using the obvious powers for ;) Did you know that every powerful acid is technically a solution of protonating molecules dissolved in water :D

Can you control the water inside a person's body? If not, what's stopping them?

Alan Aspie likes this.
  3. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

Some ideas may help you to give sub-power applications (maybe special school subjects ??)

Earth (Powers involving ElectroMagnetic Fields)

Level 1: Ore Detection.
    Level 2: GeoKinethics.
    Level 3: Visible Light Control.
    Level 4: ElectroMag Waves Control.
    Level 10: Magnetic Monopoles.

Fire (Powers involving Molecule Bouncing Speed)

Level 1: Heat / Cold
    Level 2: Fever / Hypothermia
    Level 3: Burning / Freezing
    Level 4: Thermal Gradient Control
    Level 10: Zero Kelvin.

Air = Powers involving Gas Density Changesl)

Level 1: Sonic Blasts
    Level 2: Local Rainning
    Level 3: Local Vacuum
    Level 4: Blends / Suffocation
    Level 10: Atmospheric Design
    Water = Powers involving Liquid Density Changes)

Level 1: Liquid Detection
    Level 2: AquaKinethics
    Level 3: Liquid State Change: Gas / Solid (Isothermal)
    Level 4: Temperature Liquid Change. (Edit: This one I'm not sure if is really possible only by means of pressure changes.(?))
    Level 10: Superfluidity.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    LoaDyron, Rzero and Simpson17866 like this.
  4. dhampirefangs

dhampirefangs Member

@Artifacs Thank you so much.

Artifacs likes this.
  5. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

For air you could have the removal of air from a space to steal what they breathe or put out a fire. Lifting yourself up on a vortex of spinning air - ie flying of a sort. Using air / vaccuum as a shield against fire and lightning. A punch with a compressed mass of air smashing someone in the face. Removing the oxygen from the air so people breathe normally but still suffocate.

Cheers, Greg.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  6. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

I was going to suggest some, but then you put the word "awesome" in the criteria. So I suppose being able to spontaneously build gothic arches is out?

Cave Troll likes this.
  7. 18-Till-I-Die

18-Till-I-Die Banned

I actually am trying to work out some "capepunk" (darker urban fantasy superhero) stories too so I actually kinda thought through something like this...

Lets say this guy who manipulates air also can manipulate other elements associated with it, like for example lightning, so he can transform himself into living lightning and travel through the clouds like a storm then come down somewhere else. It's basically a kind of limited omnipresence, dominating the sky and by definition allowing him to become "one" with the Earth's atmosphere.

Another aspect similar to this would be a character who is "one" with the oceans of Earth. But another aspect is that such a being could manipulate hydroelectric power itself, which could generate massive amounts of electricity and allow him to basically hurl lightning. Or if you want to just go crazy, say he is "one" with all the waters of Earth so he can like summon up wellsprings of water which act like portals allowing him teleportation.

8. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I think you're mixing up different powers. Lightning and air are quite different - and they sort of clash. That acrid smell you notice after a lightning strike is Ozone - essentially the oxygen part of the atmosphere fried up into a new and poisonous variation because of the voltage passing through it. Meanwhile air is quite a reasonable insulator ie it resists electrical conduction. That's why you get lightning - the static charge builds and builds until finally the voltage is high enough that it can jump across the air gap.

Cheers, Greg.

9. dhampirefangs

dhampirefangs Member

Meh. If I’d mixed up water and ice, I could also use weather controlling. But that would be too expensive for my dream studio. If I would have written it finished, I sent it to RocketJump. RocketJump is a small American studio, which made awesome web series like Video Game High School. And it's a YouTube channel, too.

10. dhampirefangs

dhampirefangs Member

Is superspeed more an air-based or water-based power? I mean, air is kinda made of evaporated water. Or at least it has some part of water.

11. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I'd use air powers to steal the air from an enemies lungs and cause them to suffocate to death. With water, I'd cause liquid to pool in their brain, giving them a stroke of some sort. That's kinda more villainy-ey than hero-ey style magic, though.

12. dhampirefangs

dhampirefangs Member

Meh. It's gonna be a screenplay. Not a novel! So, it has to be easy to animate.

13. The Dapper Hooligan

[​IMG]

14. dhampirefangs

dhampirefangs Member

[​IMG]
    @The Dapper Hooligan
    I said it was an screenplay in a post already. xD My dream studio is RocketJump. You maybe should check it out on YouTube.

15. The Dapper Hooligan

FADE IN:
    INT - CLASSROOM

Mary looks at Lars, invoking her super powers. Lars' head asplodes.

MARY

Well, that's no way to he ahead in life.

FADE OUT

16. dhampirefangs

dhampirefangs Member

Oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhk?!

17. The Dapper Hooligan

Seriously, making someones head explode is pretty easy. All you need is a honeydew melon, a liter of two of fake blood, a couple of fire crackers, and the compositor/masking tool on After Effects or another similar editing program. I use Blender.