1. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

Back Cover Blurb

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Catrin Lewis, Apr 2, 2016.

(With usual apology if this is in the wrong forum . . . )

I'm trying to get everything pulled together so I can indie-publish my novel sometime before the next millennium. Currently, I'm working on the back cover blurb.

The book's genre is romantic suspense. Given that, may I conclude that it's okay for the blurb to reveal that the protags do get together romantically, and leave it to the reader only to want to find out how?

Or, given that the blurb (as presently written) mentions obstacles to their love, should I remain coy about how that ends up? Either way, there's still the suspense plot to dangle as the main reader bait.

Thanks!

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Most romantic suspense books seem to still treat the ending of the romance story as up in the air, even if we all know it isn't. I've read a lot of blurbs that acknowledge the attraction, or even that the couple gets together, but suggest that they may not STAY together unless things go well in the book.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I prefer not to have spoilers in the blurb, but so many do that I no longer read them :)

4. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

OK. So in your opinion, would letting the potential reader know in the blurb that my couple do get together in some form (even if HEA is in doubt) be a spoiler?

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

No, not if the ultimate outcome is in doubt. If it's a Romance I would expect them to get together at some point.

6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I feel like there should be a rule about it not being a spoiler if it happens in, like, the first third of the book? Does that make sense? If it's part of setting up the main conflict of the book, then I'd say it's not a spoiler. But if it's part of the resolution of the main conflict, it would be a spoiler? Maybe?

Might be best to figure out a few successful books with structures similar to yours and see how they do it.