Bad Luck day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TragicJuliet, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Actually, I disagree. He was booked for 50 shows in the 02 arena. He was giving something back after all the harrassment he went through - he was going to make money back, and sort his life out.

But unfortunately, he's passed away. The end of an era ends with the person, not the media hype surrounding them...

2. Kas

Kas New Member

Well, you see, that's exactly what I have a problem with. I mean, I don't mind that millions people are mourning the loss of so-and-so. If you enjoyed his/her productivity or appreciate them for whatever reason - if they touched you in some way - (but hopefully didn't touch you that way) then by all means, mourn. Talk about it.

It's the media constantly looking for blood that upsets me. How about letting a person die before pronouncing them dead?

3. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Low blow :rolleyes:

4. Kas

Kas New Member

I'm just keeping the legend alive. Perhaps I should say that I am actually a major MJ fan. He rocks my world.:)

1 person likes this.
  5. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

Seconded; I haven't been listening to his stuff all my life but I agree wholeheartedly. You guys who are saying we shouldn't care because they're sensationalized celebrities are missing the point. It's impossible to grieve for everyone! Fact is, Michael was known and people will mourn for him because they appreciated his contributions to music.

6. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

ya that part bothers me a bit- Michael Jackson "died" like three times today, because the media was so quick to say he was dead "he's dead!! wait no...a cardiac arrest okay NOW he's dead...no..no not yet he's in a coma. OKAY now!! now he's dead!! dead!!" also- come on, Harrison Ford, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Jeff Goldblum ALL have been reported dead today. it's a shame that all these performers can't be just left alone in peace then when the family found out (there was reports that Michael Jacksons father found out through the MEDIA how f'd up is that?) and dealt then we find out and are able to mourn a loss of a good person who affected us.

but in a world of instants (twitter, text messaging, Instant messaging) it's no wonder the media is so quick to jump on it all.

7. Kas

Kas New Member

Yeah, TJ, there should be like a one-week-no-reporting rule or something. Give the families a few days at least. . .

8. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

Especially since the families didn't choose this life, the celebrity did- they wanted to perform for their fans and for their love of it. not for the media who wont ever give them a rest. how horrible would that be finding out your son could be dead - though TWITTERS and media reports instead of from the hospital? that poor man.

9. starseed

starseed New Member

Twitter is absolute crap. I wouldn't listen to anything being said on there EVER.

10. M9A8E6S4TO

M9A8E6S4TO New Member

My parents were outside looking at his house when he died. They saw all the ambulances and whatnot arrive.

11. starseed

starseed New Member

I wasn't even aware he lived in America. I thought he moved somewhere in Asia or something.

12. ChaseRoberts

ChaseRoberts New Member

I was listening to the breakfast news this morning, and they said something which really rankled me.

'It's one of those moments where you'll always remember what you were doing when it happened'.

Princess Diana- asleep on the couch
    9/11- sitting on the couch
    Michael Jackson- sitting on the couch

the only one I wasn't sitting on the couch for was 7/7, and I remember that well, because I was working for a property maintenance company, and it was a boiling hot day, there were police everywhere (Dundee was close to Perth, close to Gleneagles, ergo, there might have been terrorists...???). My rather attractive young boss walks in after going to see a property in need of repair, and he just says 'things are going mental in London'. I logged onto the BBC News page, and, suffice to say, was significantly appalled and intrigued as the story unfolded to abandon my work for the next few hours. Luckily, so did everyone else in the office.

But every other major newsworthy event? I'm fairly sure I was on my couch.

1 person likes this.
  13. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

The service and the website itself may be crap but why would it have anything to do with people say on it?

14. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

i find twitter so ridic only because like- it's texting. that's all it is!! i'm more tickled by the fact that Kevin Spacey has one. and uses it to prove that Jeff Goldblum is alive. i wonder if that means Jeff Goldblum doesn't have one. Which then leads me to think if Michael Jackson had one?

15. ChaseRoberts

ChaseRoberts New Member

My friend phoned me up on the news, as I mentioned. She said 'he's dead' and I flicked onto the news channel.
    'He's not' I said.
    'Isn't he?'

I watched the story unfold, and changed my mind. 'I think he is,' I said.

'how do you know?'

Well, working as a student nurse, I've seen a cardiac arrest, and I know all the statistics. If he was out in the community, stopped breathing, and was not breathing when the paramedics arrived, he would have suffered hypoxic brain injury, resulting in death.
    Had they rescucitated him, there is only a 20% chance of a longer than three day survival, being post-community arrest status.

Which isn't to say it's not possible- I've met someone who has had two community arrests and survived (her family must do CPR in their sleep), but it's highly unlikely.

By the time I had explained my hypothesis to her, BBC had begun to report he was dead.

16. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

Well celebrities die too, they are human after all.

17. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Great comment. It's the truth, no matter how mythical they become from fame, they are in the end just humans. Flawed, tragic, beautiful. They aren't much different from us. Just that they have a lot of cash... :p