Tags:
  1. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

Bad Words

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Vianca, Jul 1, 2017.

Is it okay to use bad words on a novel? my MC is a teenager, so that's basically half their language.

He often talks to himself and he uses profanity a lot. Is it okay for me to write the word? I don't want it to be vulgar.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

No such thing as a bad word, just a word in the wrong place.

If your character would use the words, then that's the right place. I'd use 'em.

Matthew Fibbons and izzybot like this.
  3. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

Great. Thank you.

4. Tophert79

Tophert79 Banned

Wow, you really do ask a lot of "Is it alright if I write/do this..?" questions.

Personally, I think you should be more assertive and cease with the "Is it OK if I do this?" mindset and replace it with "I'm doing this. Deal with it."

Me, personally, if someone tells me "Oh, that's wrong" or "Yeah, most writers don't do that" then I know that I'm on the right track. Defying convention should be in "Writing: 101". If you aren't doing something different, someone that doesn't push the envelope, then you're doing something wrong.

And to answer your question, If this character curses to himself, then who is he going to offend? :p

lola.j.v.garratt likes this.
  5. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

I know I do.

English is not my primary language so I tend to second guess my writing. I didn't mean to bother anybody.
    But you're right. I should become more secure of my writing style. I should be more "I'm writing this this way and that's final." but sometimes I can't find the answers I need and that's where my question come in. If i don't recall I've only asked like 3 or 4.

But Thank you for your insight.

lola.j.v.garratt likes this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

If you mean swear words, yes absolutely , with the caveat that if you are writing for kids you might want to tone it down a bit... mild swearing is fine but you probably want to keep the F and C words for the adult or young adult audience

Matthew Fibbons likes this.
  7. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

Thank You

rktho likes this.
  8. Tophert79

Tophert79 Banned

It isn't? Then you speak very well.... or type very well.

And you aren't bothering anyone, silly. That's not what I'm saying. If you want to keep asking then do so, you can use the "I'm doing this. Deal with it." principle. ;)

No. I understand, sometimes we need a little bit of a green light and assurance to make sure that we're on the right track. But I assure you, with writing, the only rule is there are no rules. If you have decent grammar and a fine vocabulary, then you're on your way. :)

Vianca likes this.
  9. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

No it's not, My primary language is Spanish. Thank you BTW, yes I write and speak it.
    Yeah, Your reply caught me by surprise LOL, I was like Dang, I'm not asking anything EVER again haha.
    But yeah. I am writing it my way and how I want it. But sometimes even if I wrote it. I read it and it makes me feel weird. you know maybe there's a certain rule on that specific topic or whatever. but still, Thank you.

10. Tophert79

Tophert79 Banned

So, you can write and speak Spanish and English? I'm still struggling with English. :p

lol. Nah. Don't stop asking questions, as that's what this this place is for. :) I don't ask questions, but that's because I know everything... I mean, I think I know everything. ;)

It's common. Personally, I have to literally force myself to re-read stuff that I've written, as I hate it.

Lifeline and Vianca like this.
  11. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

Yeah I'm bilingual, but still I have major doubts when it comes to my writing. And I also hate people reading my content because they too think they know it all... for example my family. bah. anyway thank you for telling me to write with a back bone lol.

12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The Steel Remains by Richard K. Morgan contains the F-word 496 times in its various forms and permutations. I'm not sayin' that's a goal you need to shoot for or anything, but... yeah. ;)

[​IMG]

13. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Use them, but keep in mind that dialog on the page is not a transcription of real-world speech. If you go overboard and use vulgarity everywhere (even if "everywhere" is limited to just one character), you are going to lose the reader. The same goes for characters who stutter, mumble, drop g's on -ings, interject "like" and "you know" twice a sentence, etc. You want to shape a character's voice, but because it has to be read (not heard), there is a delicate dance to the prose. You want to hit really hard with perfect timing. Make sure bad taste is done tastefully, right? Then it will read true.

Lifeline and Vianca like this.
  14. Tophert79

Tophert79 Banned

I think having doubts about your writing is a good thing, at least it is for me. It helps me to strive to improve, with the ultimate hope that I actually like what I write... but knowing in the back of my head that I never will.

I never told you to write with a back bone... write with a keyboard or at the very least, a typewriter. I know that I told you to "defy convention", but that's going a little bit too far. :p

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  15. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    IDK, you might need two for numbers and all that other jazz.
    But it sure won't be you standard querty format, also we might
    have a few questions as to how they were acquired in the first place.
    Spine.jpg
    And if using it for keys is too much, it would make a cumbersome pen
    for old school inkwell writing...Don't you think? :D

So it may seem impractical, it is doable if you are determined enough to write. :supergrin:

@Vianca there are no bad words, just don't over use them as Seven Crowns stated.
    You should be fine otherwise. :)

Tophert79 likes this.
  16. Tophert79

Tophert79 Banned

You know, if anyone were ever to write a story about a Giant or, dare I say, a Troll, you could have the Giant/Troll be writing with an ink pool and a back-bone, as opposed to an ink-well and a Quill.

However, I can tell you right now, I'm absolutely not going to query where he got his back-bone from, as that's between a Giant/Troll and his conscience. :p

Cave Troll likes this.
  17. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

'A backbone is a symbol of strength in character, an unwillingness to be used or taken for granted, and a firm commitment to uphold one's decisions and feelings.'
    That's what I meant. hahaha

I do like what I write, Most of the time.

Thank You, I wasn't planning to swear like a sailor. Just a few F bombs here and there.

Cave Troll likes this.
  18. Oberon711

Oberon711 Member

Depends on your audience. YA fiction has been getting more and more explicit in its profanities, but if you are targeting a 11-14 year-old audience, those expletives should be saved for really extreme situations (or not used at all), regardless of reality.

Iain Sparrow likes this.
  19. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

Yes, I was going for that, as I'm writing or (hearing) the character that's how it's coming out. Speech like. I've read books with that same type of funk to it. And I admit I felt disconected.
    My MC only swears in his mind. Or like us, when he is surprised, scared or shocked.

20. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

Why people assume that I'm targeting that audience? Because the MC is a teenager? The content in the story is not for 11- 15 year old. I'm hoping to reach to a 17 to 26 kind of audience because it follows the story. It's a murder mystery thriller... with really F...up situations.

21. Oberon711

Oberon711 Member

Just a natural assumption. I didn't see anything about your intended audience age range. That's why I said, if. :)

22. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

oh no, no problem it's just that someone above you said something too. But no, it's not for that generation. :oops:

23. Oberon711

Oberon711 Member

Haha, no worries. Like I said, it just seemed like the natural line to draw if your MC is a younger person that you are writing for that same age. However, writing a grittier work with someone of that age certainly sounds interesting. I would love to hear more. :D

24. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

oh trust me. I can't wait to finish it. The whole plot it's bouncing in my mind crazy to make it to my paper haha. I already have it down. I'm just filling in the gaps on the remaining of the story. If you want a peep PM me. :supercheeky:

25. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

To echo what others have already said, yes it's absolutely alright to use profanity in your novel. You gotta do what feels right and natural for your story and you got characters who naturally swear a lot then let them swear, don't every censor yourself. And since you mentioned your going for a 17 to 26 audience then you have a lot of freedom in terms of profanity.

Let the 'fuck's fly free :p

Vianca likes this.