Tags:
  1. bezilith

bezilith New Member

Bad Writer Here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bezilith, Mar 31, 2020.

Hey everyone! This is my first creative writing forum, and I'm hoping to connect with other writers, learn some things, and hopefully eventually get some critique on my writings! I'm excited and I can't wait to get to know y'all and read y'all's work too.

So a little about me-- I'm from Texas, I'm 25, I've been in my relationship for a decade, and we have a holland lop named Fable. I currently work at a bank call center while I study to get my degree for visual communication. I have a LOT of passions: I love fashion, crocheting, knitting, baking, and most recently I've gotten into gardening. I'm really into anything that involves making things or fixing them up. Currently a big project of mine is making a language for an even bigger project that I'm working on (big to me anyways, it's an RPGMaker game. My first one!). I can be a bit of a Jack of All Trades, and a master of SOME. Things I'm bad at? Singing, driving, and waiting patiently.
    Things I wanna do in the future: voice act, write movies/shows/full stories, work in the fashion industry, and live in a cozy house. Whew, that's a lot, but I like to keep busy, because I have a few chronic conditions that keep my mind a-buzzing.

As far as writing goes, I'm not the best to be honest (though that hasn't stopped me from doing it). I have so many ideas and none on how to communicate them. So far I just kind of messily jot them down in various notepads or record them on my phone. I write poetry (sorta) and fictional story plots. While I'm pretty good at coming up with a plot or a situation, I'm BAD at getting from A to B to C. It's more like A 1/2 to B.2 to F! What do those even mean? Exactly. I have a lot to learn and hopefully this forum has a lot to teach, because I'm ready!

Alan Aspie likes this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Welcome! I'm Iain, one of the mods here. If you haven't had a chance to yet, be sure to check out New Member Quick Start and Forum Rules, and don't be shy about contacting me or one of the other mods (jannert, big soft moose, minstrel, and EFMingo) if you have any questions or problems.

You'll need to have two weeks' membership, twenty posts (which include two constructive critiques of others' writing) before you can post in the Workshop for critique of your own work, but until then, feel free to poke around and jump into any one of the numerous discussions that are ongoing here. Those initial requirements will fly by.

I can totally understand the "lots of hobbies" thing, I wobble between writing, Halloween costume design, and various RC ventures. I like to think that it engages different parts of my brain, sometimes when I'm stuck on one project moving to a different hobby for a bit can get me unstuck. As for the A to B to C, sounds like you're what we call a "pantser" around here. A pantser is someone who writes "by the seat of their pants" without a definite structure or goal. The opposite is a "planner" who uses outlines and storyboards and things like that. I'm mostly a pantser myself, but both styles (also sometimes referred to elsewhere as "gardeners" vs. "architects") have their strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway, welcome aboard, have a look around, and don't be afraid to jump in with a hamburger or two (yep, saw that, perfect use of the thread!)

bezilith likes this.
  3. bezilith

bezilith New Member

Hi Iain! Thank you for the links, I'm now caught up on the rules and such. I'm definitely fine with the two week wait, I'd rather chit chat a bit and get to know people first, plus I err on the shy side about showing some of my work as of right now, so this is perfect.

Halloween costume design? That's amazing! What costumes have you made? Oh yes, rotating projects should be considered a specialty, sometimes writing ideas come to me while I'm crocheting a baby blanket! Those are some funny and unique terms, "pantser/gardener" is my favorite now.

Thank you for greeting me! Ah, since you saw my burger post then I feel inclined to let you know that my burgers came out pretty good if I do say so myself!

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Well, if you look at my profile pic, that's me. I ran it through Deep Dream after the shot was taken which accounts for some of the odder effects, but the facial prostheses and makeup are all mine. What doesn't show is the bone hatband made from former buffalo wings :)

Some Guy and bezilith like this.
  5. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

... heya bezilith. this was my first creative writing forum too!

...fast forward six years... and here I still am.. :superwink:

bezilith likes this.
  6. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I always kind of wondered about your profile pic.

bezilith and Iain Aschendale like this.
  7. bezilith

bezilith New Member

Oh wow! I thought that was a still shot from a movie or something, awesome! Lol buffalo wings? That’s very resourceful!

8. bezilith

bezilith New Member

Neat! That’s what I’m hoping for, to be here for a long time and just soak up information and creativity and learn a lot :supersmile: