1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Benziodiazepine use

Discussion in 'Research' started by Steerpike, Mar 3, 2016.

I was talking to someone earlier today who mentioned that she has been on a daily bendiazepine dose daily for nearly a couple of decades. It's .25 to .5 mg alprazolam as needed, usually once a day and sometimes more. I've read about problems with use of the compounds, particularly as a person gets older, and I thought they weren't for long-term use. Anyone know if this is a common use of the medication? I thought maybe she should consult her doctor about how long she has been on it, but she seems to think it is not out of the ordinary. Any insight from people who know about this compound would be useful for me to pass along!

2. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Pretty odd forum to ask this question but I happen to be a pharmacist. No it's not unusual, plenty of people take that medication long term. Yes, people can get addicted to the stuff and get out of control with it but that dose is pretty low and if she hasn't gone with increasingly higher & higher doses over the years it's perfectly fine.

matwoolf likes this.
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Thanks for the answer. This is why I asked here - we have a diverse group. Probably people who have taken this medicine, as well as professionals like yourself. I figured I'd get a better answer than piecing together disparate information on various internet sites. This makes me feel better. I thought it was supposed to be short term only.

matwoolf likes this.