1. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

Band Management Logistics?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Bobby Burrows, Dec 30, 2020.

What stuff does a band manager have to do?

Do they have to book the studio time?
    Baby sit/make sure the band members turn up to where they've got to go to on time?
    Booking travel.
    International travel...

Is a tour manager the same as a band manager?

Who's the person who would fill out carnets and visa applications for equipment and performers and crew?

Lifeline likes this.
  2. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Oh man, I wish @Shenanigator was still participating on the boards. She had a ton of real-life music business knowledge and was a huge part of making my 3rd book (which was about a rock n' roll star in recovery) as accurate as possible.

I can tell you that some of this will depend on how big or successful both the band and/or their manager are. Also, some of the things you list (like booking tours) are done typically done by Agents, not Managers. This article is a really good read on the difference between the two:

https://www.johnson-moo.com/entertainment-manager-vs-agent

Lifeline likes this.
  3. Accelerator231

Accelerator231 Contributor Contributor

I used to be in a school band.

Basing things off my admitedly unprofessional experience, one of the things is instruments. Instrument maintenance, instrument maintenance, and parts.

4. More

More Active Member

The management of bands is much the same as any product . It's developing the brand and finding income . How much the manager will actual personally do depends on how big the band is and the ability of the manager . Bands, and just single artists will try to develop their looks and perceived public persona . Malcolm McLaren was a musician, performer, designer and entrepreneur. Bands like the Sex Pistols and the New York Dolls were his creation . The Rolling Stones crated themselves and had an agent Giorgio Gomelsky , who booked their gigs. It was only after Andrew Oldham became their manager that they had any success. But that was largely because Oldham had been in the business for some years and knew all the right people .

Lifeline likes this.
  5. baboonfish

baboonfish Member

Do they have to book the studio time? Yes, absolutely
    Baby sit/make sure the band members turn up to where they've got to go to on time? Yes, except see below
    Booking travel. Generally, but depends on the size of the band, if not then agent
    International travel...probably not by this stage if it's a serious tour. Agent

Is a tour manager the same as a band manager? no, tour manager will do the baby sitting, alarm calls, meals etc etc while on tour, and usually is responsible for getting the band from A to B. In a smallish tour where the band is still in the back of a van the TM would invariably be the driver too. If the band is still completely unknown then the Manager will be the tour manager and probably the driver. If the manager is of any credibility at all it is unlikely they will be out on the road with their band.

Who's the person who would fill out carnets and visa applications for equipment and performers and crew? Hmmm, depends on the size of the band. Once a band is in the top tier, they will have someone to do pretty much any individual task and i couldnt really advise. Assuming they are still up and coming, either the manager or the agent, or possibly the person who has booked them to come and play in a foreign country (another agent, superfan or booker). Hope that helps somewhat.

Lifeline likes this.
  6. That Guy Named Aaron

That Guy Named Aaron Member

Band manager would be in charge behind the scenes. They would help book shows and performances of the band, interviews of the band and its members. The manager would oversee the bands financial matters, but probably not of the individual members themselves. Band manager would work with the tour manager for logistics of band tours, promotion of tours, shows, and music releases. Managers would work with lawyers on legal matters and would interact with the record companies in obtaining and negotiating contracts. Pretty much anything not involving playing the instruments by the band members themselves would be dealt with in one way or another by the manager.

7. Alcove Audio

Alcove Audio Contributor Contributor

This is, for the most part, correct as are the other posts. At the bottom level you manage yourselves. At the next step up you get a booking agent, who will probably handle a few of the management duties. Every situation is different, but the next step is probably a sound person. You add non-band personnel as you progress up the ladder, maybe a roadie to help with the gear. You add a manager when the business end of the business gets to be too much to handle, which means you can afford another cut out of your money. At the top end you can have a huge entourage supporting you.

If we knew more about your fictional band and their status, we could probably help you flesh this out a little better. I worked my way up the ladder and played some very notable venues. At these shows, which were union venues, I just showed up with my stage clothes and one personal keyboard. As musical director for the band, I dealt with the stage manager, the FOH (Front of House Mixer) and the Monitor Mixer, sometimes with the MC and/or the promotor.

Just for fun... if you treat the union guys with respect, they take care of you; if you have an attitude, they can make your life miserable.

My first "big gig" was with the Del Vikings at the Beacon Theater in NYC. (BTW, we had only two rehearsals, one just the band and one with the singers, and a warm-up show the night before.) I was not informed that there would be a house keyboard rig, so I brought my entire set-up. There was a problem with the house rig (buzzes and other issues), and the other keyboard players, a few band managers, etc., were all being real anal sphincters about it. I just waited for them to resolve the issue. I eventually approached the stage manager and told him that I had my keyboard rig in my car, if that would help. He asked me where my car was, and I told him that, since I arrived early, I got lucky and my car was right near the loading dock. Within minutes five guys were unloading my car. Union rules being what they are, I could not set up my own equipment, but they were all quite impressed with how organized I was, everything labeled, etc., and with just a few words from me, had my rig set up beautifully exactly where I wanted it, and was carefully sound-checked. Then I handed detailed copies of our set with all of the cues for who was singing what (we had five singers up front and four musicians in the back-up band), the instrumental solos, etc. Word gets around fast, and my band was treated like top tier stars at every union venue we played in NYC. I got a nice bonus from the band management for that.