1. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

BBC Civilisations

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Teladan, Mar 12, 2018.

Has anyone been watching this? I never seen the Clark original, but I have to say that whilst I enjoyed the first few episodes, it started to feel too art centric. Yes, the premise of the series was about art, but I don't think the programme should be titled Civilisations. That's far too broad. There was no writing, music, science or any other field--just sculpture and painting. Also, I didn't make it to the end because it devolved into pretentious modern art nonsense. I gave up when Schama referred to a flat block of colour as emitting some sort of force field or radiant energy... No thanks.

2. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I'd been tracking it.

Will Gompertz, the BBC's own arts correspondent gave the first episode a two star review which is a terrible start for any new programme. Destroyed all the fizz-bang...

I watched episode 2/3 with the giant Egyptian statues and Mary Beard as host, that was okay. Actually, the original Civilisation 1969 are all available on iplayer - likewise the Putin documentary from Saturday.

Such an idiot, probably confused Clarke & Bronowski

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018