1. archer88i

archer88i Banned Contributor

Because reasons

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by archer88i, Sep 6, 2017.

"Because reasons" is a thing people say now, for some reason. I just had an opportunity to put it in my work in progress, because my (very millennial? ...whatever) protagonist is having an argument with someone. It would fit her lexicon perfectly, but I worry that it's too closely linked to a current trend that will probably vanish in a few years.

Do you use phrases like this? Why or why not?

Edit: I mean do you use them in your writing. I don't care whether or not you actually say the thing. >.>

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  2. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

I don’t. I find them incredibly irritating, and I generally find people who use them just as irritating.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I've used "because reasons" for a while and I'm not a millennial (depending on your definition of millennial), but I'm also not a normal person. I still use a lot of dated phrases that were popular when I was younger, I've just had to know when to start using them ironically. Sometimes trendy colloquialisms kind of reach critical mass where they become a fixture in our language, like "cool" has, but it's hard to tell at the start of the trend. But, yeah, when I'm, like, reading some pretty gnarly older books that full of language that's all swank, or fly, or totally the bomb, I'm just like, "Ugh, gag me with a spoon already."

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I don't actually say "because reasons" but i'll give a non specific response if i CBA to go into detail, like " Because, y'know... shit happens"

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Same here. I might have them say something general like, "Because shit happens" or "life sucks" or if they really wanna go for it, "Because apparently I was a horrid person in a past life, and this is me paying for it."

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm assuming that you're asking if we use phrases that are nonstandard English and are tightly tied to a fairly specific time period?

For me, it would depend. On whether the phrase will even make sesame when it goes out of fashion, and on whether I think that time-based "local color" is a good or a bad thing for the particular piece. Probably on other things.

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Such terms tend to date the work specifically. If that's your aim -- for instance, if you're writing a Fifties period-piece -- go with the slang of the day, understanding that it will add a little friction to the flow of your story as time goes on and those phrases die off.

I'll use them very carefully, for effect, by inserting them into a character's mouth. I don't use them in narrative at all unless it's first-person and even then practice caution.

8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Nope, I find it quite trite. 'I don't know' still holds up pretty good.
    Though I tend to lean more in the camp with the others: Shit happens. :p
    So far I have not had a use for a 'Shit Happens' moment yet, but I am sure
    I will hit one later on. :)

Because reasons is about the same as a toddler going why, for hours on end.

Good luck and hope you figure it out. :)

9. Laurus

Laurus Disappointed Idealist Contributor

Aw. Now we can't get along.

I haven't used colloquialisms yet that would date a piece, or at least not intentionally. I'm sure some has slipped in.

10. Mayarra

Mayarra Banned

While not in a story, I did use it in online roleplay (which got me into writing).

My character there would say it when the reason would at least partly be known if she said "because reasons".
    A little example:

"What does this door lead to?"
    "Oh, nothing, just the basement."
    "Just the basement? Why lock a door to a basement?"
    "Eum... because... reasons."​

Her saying "because reasons" now actually tells a lot about it, especially if you know more about the character. With me it tends to be something dark usually. I would feel curious to what is in that basement now, simply because she refuses to say it.

I could imagine a rebelous teen saying it too. Like:

"Anna, why did you steal my car last night?" her mother shouted as she swung the door of Anna's bedroom open.
    "just reasons, none of your business."
    In a way like this I also don't see it disappearing any time soon, as teens will probably always keep hiding reasons from their parents.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

1/ I don't in real life.
    1A/ I find it as irritating as "Talk to the hand 'cos the face ain't listening."
    2/ I haven't - yet - in my writing.
    2A/ I probably won't ever in my writing.
    2B/ Why wouldn't I? Because...reasons!
    2C/ Yes, it will almost certainly date the work...but unless you're trying to go for the Literary Classic market, who cares? As long as you get to market before the phrase has become outmoded, you're good.