1. Simon Says

Simon Says Member

Been away for a while...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Simon Says, Sep 21, 2020.

Not posted in a long while but have been popping in to read a few bits, last time I was here I was writing two different novels and doing quite badly word count wise on both, so put them both up for the while and started writing a few articles on things that interested me, took a few photos to go with them and pitched them to magazines and err... it kind of exploded.

Articles about stone circles, my Uncle in the navy and his part in an historical event, one on classic buses, a large wartime explosion local to me in Staffordshire, and one about writing prize letters to magazines (something else I do) have all been accepted and have either been published or are going to be in the near future so the novels are going to stay shelved for the time being, the pay seems to be between £80 to £130 depending on length, so a nice little side line to the sales day job!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Cave Troll, deadrats and marshipan like this.
  2. Mana_Kawena

Mana_Kawena Member

Congratulations on your success! I do hope that you continue laboring with love over those novels once they've had some time to fallow a bit and you work your magic in other writing ventures; it's great to get paid for your writing, but I hope you never forget the love for writing for its own sake that got you to the point you are now :)

Simon Says likes this.
  3. Simon Says

Simon Says Member

Hopefully I will return to the novels in a year or two but the getting paid (albeit modest sums) is giving me confidence in my writing, I've a few ideas for further articles just got to work out the details before I pitch them, i'm beginning to build up a portfolio of my features. my biggest article so far is in a big 'glossy' out on this thursday!

deadrats likes this.
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

It's kind of amazing to be in a glossy. When I sold a short story to one I had to go visit the issue on newsstands. And, yeah, I took a selfie standing in front of the issue. Whatever, it's really cool to reach that level. I hope you enjoy the day and feel super cool. Being in the glossies is making it as a writer.

I'm not as concerned with novels as I am with magazines and journals. I don't think everyone needs to write novels. Although, I guess there is some pressure to eventually produce one. But a novelist is only one kind of writer. So, I wouldn't worry too much about that, especially as you start to find success in other areas. Congratulations!

CrimsonAngel and Simon Says like this.