1. darkriver

darkriver Member

been done to many times?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by darkriver, Jul 24, 2017.

Recently I have been thinking of writing a romance novel about two childhood friends who fall in love and break each others hearts. The whole story is based on the premise can a friendship survive love. The only thing that would make it different is that its about two women rather than the usual male to female.

Its semi based on a friendship I have.

2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Everything has been done too many times. The glory in it is that it's never done the same way twice. The characters are different, the obstacles are different, etc. It doesn't matter how many times something has been done. What matters is that you make it your own.

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I agree with Trish - the basic story isn't original, but you can add your own details and make it unique.

Trish likes this.
  4. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Thid-ing. Some of the best love stories are based on tried and true tropes - the difference is the journey you take your readers on.

Just a caveat though - if the book ends with your characters broken-hearted, you're not writing a genre Romance novel, but a book with a romantic storyline. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as plenty of those kinds of books have been successful (like The Notebook, The Fault in Our Stars, etc.). If your goal is publication, it's just worth noting that the majority of genre Romance publishers require a HEA (Happily Even After) or HFN (Happy For Now) ending, so you'd be looking at submitting mostly to non-romance publishers.

Trish likes this.
  5. Dreams_on_Mars

Dreams_on_Mars Member

yes it has.. but that's okay... as long as you can think of something that makes it different! otherwise.. yes. Oh I just read the thing about it being about two females.. I still would like to see more development into what makes this different. Though I know female to female does change it a bit.

6. AustinFrom1995

AustinFrom1995 Active Member

As they say "there's nothing new under the sun", so don't worry if your story isn't 100% new, what matters is what you chose to do with your story. What sorts of twists and turns will you throw into the formula? :)

7. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I would say "there are too many lawyers in the world and not enough good ones :cool: Same with everything else in the world."

But I'm not actually aware of any story where

I go out of my way in my own work to make it clear that platonic love is just as valuable as romantic love because my understanding is that this message isn't very common :)

Please, help me by doing it too!

There aren't "too many" LGBT stories of any theme you can come up with. Again, feel free to help us out by doing it too :D

8. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Agreed! If you wind up with a happy ending, I know a few LGBT romance publishers who are actively looking for as many F/F submissions as they can get.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  9. Fiender_

Fiender_ Active Member

Every story ultimately comes down to "MAIN CHARACTER WANT THING. DO THEY GET THING BY END OF NOVEL, Yes/No/Find out in sequel, maybe".
    There, you have all stories ever written boiled down to three possible slots. Doesn't seem to stop a great many books/movies/etc from being considered greats. ;)

10. darkriver

darkriver Member

Its going to be a happy ending.

Laurin Kelly and Simpson17866 like this.
  11. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

That definitely hasn't been done "too many times" in F/F fiction. Go for it! :)

darkriver likes this.