1. MoonWriter67

MoonWriter67 New Member

Struggling to come up with idea to end a thriller novel.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MoonWriter67, Jan 6, 2010.

I'm really undecided on how to end this thriller novel I'm writing. I finished planning out most of the plot but don't know what I should do with the protoganist. I have a short synopsis.

A former MI5 man (deemed not mentally fit for service after his two brothers were both killed in combat in Iraq) turned freelance reporter has his life down the drain. He can hardly pay his bills or get a proper job. Then the president of the usa is assassinated while doing a speech in washington dc by an al-Qeada assassin. The french president, who is staying in london for a week, anounces that he is leaving early. The man realises this is his chance to get a job at a big newspaper company, so he follows the french president and his body gaurds, eager for an interview. Then he witnesses one of the bodygaurds shooting the president and the other bodyguard, and then the defecting bodyguard spots the man. One man could ruin the orginization's plan to kill all government leaders and ruin the world by telling someone. It's now a race against time for the man to find someone who believes what he realises before he joins the two president's in death.

Another thing. Is this interesting enough? I need other peoples opinions.

2. Gogota

Gogota New Member

The story is too common and not easy to believe in. Try changing the 2 presidents into city mayor or religious leader

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

4. Operaghost

Operaghost New Member

What cog says is correct, everything has been done before, although I would disagree about the plot being hard to believe in, after all it is fiction and a thriller so you can do what you like, I don’t see how this is less believable than a conspiracy to hide christs wife by prominent artists and templars, or a girl who falls down a rabbit hole into a magical world? Concepts don’t have to be believable, it’s the context in which you tell it, as for the ending, well that’s something only you yourself can come up with, but as you write you’ll find it should start leading to a natural conclusion

5. Destin

Destin New Member

I think the end sounds weak. Find someone to believe what he realizes? Wouldn't the whole world expect it is the Al-Qaeda or some terrorist organization the moment political leaders start getting assassinated?

6. MoonWriter67

MoonWriter67 New Member

It is because the orginization has been hiding under there noses for many years, being seen as normal people, seen but unseen. How will any government fully believe that statement, when it comes from a man who has had a record of mental disabilitys SINCE HIS BROTHERS DEATH.