1. Swansong

Swansong New Member

Plot idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Swansong, Jan 4, 2010.

This plot idea is in it's early stages, but I want you all to critique my idea so far.

The plot is a about a judge who is an honest kind-hearted man who is socially successful, but had to do several illicit and shady things to get to his prestigious position. Before retiring, he has one last goal of putting an oil billionaire to justice for the many crimes he had committed. Throughout the plot, the judge is offered bribes, threatened, harassed, his house broken into, his social life ruined, but is persistent in not giving in. Ultimately, he has to choose which is more important: his self-interest or justice.

Please tell me what you think.

2. bux

bux New Member

It sounds familiar both in the plot sense and the Justice Vs Self Preservation aspect, I just can't see any more wiggle room in these plots and feel any time spent writing a long winded story about a subject already exhausted would result in a wasted effort. But I'm no expert on the matter and if writing it makes you happy then I guess that counts for something.

3. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

Cogito won't be too far away from this thread but, just this once, I'm going to beat him to the punch and say that there are no new ideas only new ways to write them.

If the plot you've described interests you, write the story. Getting people to dissect a single paragraph just can't do anything for your story.

Write the story, put it up for review, and we can help.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Swansong, a story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..." In short, plot ideas are not critiquable.

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

5. Michaelstickland

Michaelstickland New Member

sounds good. i would love to see some imagery from Ovid with the idea that justice has left the earth and man has to stand alone against its evil