Being a snob

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 67Kangaroos, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I could literally eat a house, Cogito.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I. Want. Evidence!

3. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Well I get distracted from equations when I have to listen to poor subject verb agreement and things like "most awesomest." It's not my fault. :rolleyes:

4. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Oh yeah, food is a big one for me, too.

I'm not a picky eater, but I do want the food I eat to be good quality.

This doesn't mean that I won't rough it now and then. I eat my share of IHOP and Taco Bell. But if I make it at home, you'd better believe that I'm using the best ingredients I can get my hands on.

Nothing pisses me off more than minced garlic in a jar.

5. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I can't stand people who make themselves the grammar police on forums. Few people realise that 1337-speak was invented for non-native speakers of English. Even fewer take it upon themselves to demand everyone has greater fluency when there's no real need, so I take it upon myself to forget words with less than five letters when talking to them. It works.

So, yes, I am considering doing that right now...:D

6. Lavarian

*Throws out all his jarred minced garlic*

7. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Yep I do that too...and also about books. I must bore my friends, but ah well.

8. rory

rory Active Member

Milk, cheese, and sour cream. You can't cheap out on those. Come at me with no-name crap and I will slap you. In fact I'm pretty set on getting me a Jersey cow and learning how to make my own one day.
    And computers. I'm not very tech-savy, but I will never own a PC, or Microsoft Windows anything ever again. I'm way too in love with Mac :love:

9. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

The arts in general as a by-product of my studies. I'm especially strict on writing. I used to be harsh with music and movies, but over time and with perspective I've decided doing so is pointless- the most vapid tune playing on the radio will never sound anywhere near as ear-shatteringly awful as a work of Schoenberg.

Likewise, my love for horror movies has exposed me to the very poorest films imaginable. Not Gigli, not Van Helsing or any other movie released by a major studio- not even Plan 9- comes close to worthless dreck like Zombie! vs. Mardi Gras. With that in mind, I've come to appreciate film and music on their own terms for what they're trying to do. I'm still an elitist when it comes to metal though.

I remain very harsh with written works though, probably because they require a significantly larger investment of time than a song (Dream Theater and Wagner aside) or movie. I'm also one of those who gets irked when someone misuses religious terms, including but not limited to karma.

10. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

The FILM OF THE BOOK has to be pretty damn good before I'll deign to recognise its existence...

11. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

I very much understand you here... (while sometimes seen as more of a philosophy than a religion) the wide misuse of "zen" really irritates me. (I can't even be in the same room as the TV when someone is watching a design show, because it's 'in' right now, so every designer will ultimately misrepresent zen.)

ETA: @madhoca - I bought a shirt recently that reads "Don't judge a book by its movie."

12. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Same here! Joel and I will go see a movie and then go out to dinner, and if the movie was based on a book I've read, I will spend the entire dinner listing reasons why the movie was not good enough.

I want a shirt like that!

I wouldn't say that I'm a food snob, exactly, but I am a snob about fast food. I eat Del Taco bean and cheese burritos, but I won't eat any other fast food. And if you are eating fast food around me, I will make it known how horrible I think it is for you. And if you are eating McDonald's, I will also make it known that I think you are the devil for supporting them.

I'm also a snob about kids in restaurants. And in public in general, I guess. I hate, hate, hate it when a parent takes their kid out, the kid whines and cries and throws a tantrum, and the parent does nothing to stop it. Dude, no one here wants to listen to your kid pitch a fit. Take them outside. Take them into the bathroom. Tell them if they don't behave, you're taking them home. Do something. Be a parent, for god's sake...

Which is another thing I'm snobby about. Bad parents are the bane of my existence.

I think I'm just going to stop here, because I'm starting to realize that I'm a lot more snobby than I thought I was... :(

13. Lavarian

I'd rather hear the kid cry though, than have the parent start openly yelling at them/disciplining them in front of everyone.

14. hiddennovelist

Oh, god. We went to TGI Fridays a couple weeks ago, and apparently (I totally missed it...too busy complaining about a coworker, I guess) there was a dad outside who hit his kid or something. I was like OH MY GOD, Joel, why didn't you say something? Ohh, if I had noticed........

I would also rather hear the crying than the yelling. But I think one thing that makes it worse for me is hearing the obviously fake tempter-tantrum crying, then hearing a half-hearted "stop that" and then just listening to the crying for another ten minutes. I don't want parents to stand up in the middle of the restaurant and scream at they're kid. I want them to take them somewhere more private and calm them down (note: calm them down. Not beat the s*** out of them in front of a restaurant...CALM THEM DOWN.)

15. Lavarian

I assume you mean "beat" and not "spank", correct? I spank my child.

16. hiddennovelist

Oh, I mean beat. I've been spanked. If I had a kid and they had earned it, I would totally spank them. Spanking doesn't bother me. It's the whole throwing your kid into the stove, slapping them across the face, tackling them to the floor thing that bothers me...

Edit: So I guess I can add to my snob list that I am a snob about people beating their children.

17. Lavarian

Agreed 100%. That's just sick. Though, if I had a rebellious teenage boy who knows better and openly defied or was extremely disrespectful to me, (I mean extreme here) I might give them a good, solid backhand across the cheek.

18. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

that's not a snobby thing, hiddennovelist, that's a decent human being thing.

19. hiddennovelist

What about a rebellious teenage girl?

The night I got kicked out of my house, my dad and sister got in an argument (because I said she should turn a song on, so she did, and he got mad because she changed his music) and it ended with her pinned to the floor and me threatening to call the police if he didn't let her go.

That was kind of a f***ed up night. And it was my older sister's birthday. Memories...

I try to be a decent human being. Sometimes.

20. Lavarian

Good lord, that's awful.

I don't think I could bring myself to strike my daughter across the face like that. No, I wouldn't hit a teenage girl at all probably. I would just go with the usual grounding, etc.

21. hiddennovelist

Yeah, it was pretty crazy. I mean, I had seen him go a little over-the-top with punishing my brothers, but nothing like that had ever happened before. Not my favorite day ever.

But anyway...sorry if that was a little too heavy for the thread...my bad. Back on topic.

22. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

My daughter's gotten a couple of opened-handed taps in the face(only from me, not her dad.) She's ten and has a mouth on her... I didn't talk to my mother that way, and by george if I did take a tone with her I got welts across my face. Didn't happen that often for me. It only takes a couple to get a point across.

I also have a pet peeve about people bringing there slobbering, misbehaved, spoiled brats to anyplace public. If my kids were having a bad day, I didn't go out. And if they started acting up, all they had to have was "the look." We've all had that look from our mother's, the one that says: "If you keep this up there is a beating in the car with the belt." Sometimes this look is accompanied with the "mommy grab." Where you get a good handful of the back of their arm and give it a little pinch. The ear works too.

I hate eating at a restaurant and hearing some kids throwing a fit and the parents doing nothing but threatening a "time out." I want to get up and punch the parents square in the jaw. My daughter threw 1 tantrum in a restaurant. It ended with us getting our order to go, leaving the restaurant, and not taking her to another one for a year. She was six at the time. She never threw another tantrum in a restaurant again. She knew we meant business.

Kids that swear at their parents in public is another thing that pisses me off. The first time my kids repeated a swear word I had a talk with them. I told them that those are words grown ups use, and grown ups don't like to hear kids use them. Please do not say those words around grown ups. And we reviewed the list of off limits words. They did it a few times over the years, but it is so rare that it isn't an issue. They don't feel the need because I am not controlling what they say to other kids. If they talk like that around other kids I don't care. As long as they are not within earshot of an adult.

So I guess my snobbiness would lay in parents with poorly behaved kids. My kids are pretty well behaved for their generation. But I am also strict.

Modern psychology is also something I am a snob about too. I don't buy in to most of it.

P.S. I've never had to beat my kids in the car with a belt...btw. The look is all that is needed.

23. Lavarian

My daughter is 3 and already refers to any door as a "damn door" as in "shut the damn door!"

24. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

real conversation from my mom and one of her elementary students (censored-ish but he said the real word)

Student: HEY! I NEED TO GET MY F***ING MILK!
    Mom: (wide-eyed) Excuse me, what did you say?
    Student: (clarifying) I said, I need to get my f***ing milk.
    Mom: (glare-y eyed) Excuse me, what did you say?
    Student: (shy-like, i'm-in-trouble voice) I need to get my f***ing milk...

25. Lavarian

ROFL. That is great!