1. Totally Aspie

Totally Aspie New Member

Being a published author and keeping a low profile

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Totally Aspie, Dec 11, 2013.

I'm actually really worried about posting this topic; I feel I am going to come across as extremely arrogant, as this thread really relates to what could possibly happen if I were to write a book, get someone interested in it, get it published, and then it go on to be a success. Don't get me wrong, I don't flatter myself that anything I could write would ever become successful, but even thoughts about it happening scare me a little.

Does that sound weird?

See, I have wanted to be an author for so long, and I actually do have what I feel is a decent concept for a book, but I find myself too scared to write it because I fear how much my life could change if it ends up being good.

I feel like such an idiot typing this, but this is a real, genuine fear I have.

So, I am asking you guys, if there are any of you that have been published and your work has been a success, has it changed your life? Are you able to maintain normality and go about your life as normal?

I mean, I'm not even sure how much attention and publicity hugely successful authors get - people like J.K. Rowling and Stephen King.

Are authors generally left alone when it comes to the spotlight?

2. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

I'm not published, but the chances of your fears coming true are so non-existent, it's pointless to even contemplate the issue. If it ever happens, use your billions to buy yourself an island or a small town, evict everyone else, and become a hermit or whatever it is you wish. You could even hire an army of mercenaries to guard your borders to ensure nobody else will ever enter your sanctum of solitude. :D

3. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

I know an author (turns out she has 4 books through Tor), who until last week, I didn't know was an author. We are part of an small club (not writing) and never knew she wrote, let alone was successfully publishing. Most authors are nearly invisible.

4. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I agree. The vast majority of published authors will not be known, and then another percentage will be known through name only, and only very few are recognised by their physical features. I mean, would and could you remember every author photo of every book you've ever read? I think not. Unless you're a huge hit a la J. K. Rowling or Stephen King, then there's absolutely no reason to panic.

And if you go on to be known through name only and still want to be published, consider using a pen name. Then you can use your real life name and nobody will even question who you are. :)

P.S. Also, there are many authors who are recognised and known but simply don't live in the limelight. A couple of examples I can think of (admittedly both British) are James Herriot, which wasn't his real name, and Roald Dahl. If you want to be left alone, especially if you're living in Britain, people will soon get the picture.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

If you're famous enough, the media is going to want to interview you or take pictures of you. However, I think it's still possible to live a normal life without all the media attention. Thomas Pynchon is an extreme case of this. He hates all media attention and never gives interviews. In fact, the last published photo of him was from decades ago. He's not Rowling famous, but he's famous enough that a lot of people want to interview him or at least get a picture of him.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you can relax, sweetikins... i've lived in a renowned 'writers/artists/actors' colony' [westport, ct] where i met, entertained and socialized with very famous writers, like robert ludlum and robin moore, actors like keir dullea, eileen heckart, june havoc, etc. plus well-known directors and artists... and they were all just like 'ordinary' folks in their private lives and when socializing or out shopping in their hometown... even the newmans [paul and joanne] were able to shop or dine in local restaurants with all of us unfamous folks, without being pestered...

so, your life can be whatever you make it... regardless of how famous you may become, you can settle in a quiet little town like all those folks i mentioned did and live as 'normal' a life as you want... you can even be a recluse, if you want to go that far, like j. d. salinger did...

i hope you will actually get to that rung on the ladder some day, so you will see i was right...

love and hugs, maia

7. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

This is properly a 'curse' few of us will ever experience. Apparently most books are published without much pomp or ceremony--hardly a whimper in fact. Writers like King and Rowling are exceptional. Merely their names will sell books, and of course movies and mini series. Few of us will ever be in their ball park.

It's great that you have enough confidence in your writing abilities that you believe your deput novel will be a runaway success. Few of us have that certainty. We just muddle along wanting/needing to write and if we find a publisher all well and good. Most of us have to live in the real world. I don't want to burst your happy bubble but, 'don't give up your day job.'

8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Do I have this right? You have a great idea, you've not written the book, and from the sounds of it you haven't written any books?

We hear this a lot on the forum. You need to write the book. The rest of your cart-before-the-horse is completely unrealistic. Great ideas are only a fraction of what it takes to create a great book.

9. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I feel weird because I know no one in that list other than Paul Newman, and even then only because of the lemonade.

10. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

The thing is that people are more likely to know the author's name than his/her face. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dan Brown was walking down the street and no one recognized him.