1. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Characters who get their magic from objects

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Lea`Brooks, Feb 25, 2015.

Hey all!

Had a dream last night. Thought it would be a cool addition to a story someday. It may be a little played and tired, but... I don't care! :p

It was basically a magical person who got their magic from a piece of jewelry. Something traumatic happened to them, and the event somehow enchanted their piece of jewelry with magic that they can tap into and use. If they lose the object, they lose (nearly) all of their magic. Anyone know what someone like this is called? Mage? Sorcerer? Wizard? All of the above? Whatever I want?

Thanks!

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

It can be any of them. :D Have fun.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Reminds me of Sailor Moon... or even Harry Potter with their wands :)

I don't think it matters what you call them as long as the concept is clear. So I gather there's a whole group of such people if there's an official title for the individuals?

4. Lea`Brooks

Never seen Sailor Moon.. But do they use staffs or something?

I don't really know what I want to do with it yet. I just wanted to get the idea down while it so a fresh in my brain. I thought there was a stereotypical name for a being like that so I figured I'd just do the research now.

But yeah, there's a few of them. In my dream there were four, and "I" was the fifth. It was a lot like the elements in my high fantasy. They could all control a different element but could only do so with their charm. Somehow, I could control more than just one. I had the wind pick me up over a tall fence so I wouldn't get caught by the baddie chasing me. Then I had a tree cover me in leaves and bark so I wouldn't be found by the baddie. Then two of the other baddies dropped their charms (a necklace and a ring), which I found, picked up, and wore. Then I defeated the first baddie with his friends' magic.

Very strange dream. :p But it was fun being all powerful and flying and causing tornadoes and stuff.

5. Yume No Okami

Yume No Okami Member

Sounds like Captain Planet. :p

6. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

Magical items, amulets, rings, charms, are a staple of the genre. From the One Ring to Dr Strange's amulet, fiction is filled with them. The trick is creating one special enough to stand out.

7. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

You could also relate this to Lucy Heartfilia from Fairy Tale who gets her magic from celestial keys. ;)

8. Yume No Okami

Yume No Okami Member

I see Key magic as an indirect form. They summon beings to fight for you, using, for the most part (Celestial King episode with Leo), their own reserve of magic. It seems like the OP is referring to items that act as focuses to cast spells.

9. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

This is a very cool idea, and I'd love to read this book. Does the object hold a piece of their soul/essence? If the mage "gets over" the trauma, does their object lose power?

10. Lea`Brooks

Man, am I glad you commented, because I completely forgot about this idea! lol And apparently, I forgot to write it down. (Just what I need... more novel ideas... :dry:)

As for your questions... I have no idea. :-D lol I'm going to say no to the second question. Or maybe yes... That could be fun to have a bunch of angry, traumatized wizards running around the world wreaking havoc. lol But I honestly don't know. Like I said, completely forgot about this idea. Hell, it took me reading the actual dream I had to even know what I was talking about. lol

So thank you! :p It's written down now.. lol