1. storywriter16

storywriter16 New Member

best experiences as a teenager?

Discussion in 'Research' started by storywriter16, Nov 28, 2016.

I am writing a story based around mutiple people's true stories. I just want to know what your most: Happiest Moments were as a teenager Saddest Moments as a teen Most embarrassing moment as a teen Most nerve racking moments as a teen and anything else like child hood stories you would like to share. I would like to point out this book will NOT be published nor sold.

2. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Happiest: Making out with my best friend's older sister in the back of a Dodge Van, that had shag carpet and blacklight posters.
    Saddest: My dad losing his battle with cancer.
    Embarrassing: Having a raging boner in Geometry Class and praying I wouldn't be called to the blackboard to demonstrate the week's theorems and postulates... prayers notwithstanding, being called to the front of the class with an erection that wouldn't quit and trying to explain math that mystified me, while keeping my back to the class. A girl started giggling, then another, and another. I mean really, I get as excited as the next person when it comes to Geometry, but that was ridiculous.

3. storywriter16

storywriter16 New Member

thank you, I'm sorry about your dad

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Happiest: meeting my first serious girlfriend (age 17)
    Saddest: seeing my father in a mental hospital for alcoholism, wanting to tell him I believed he was going to beat it but not saying anything because I knew, in my heart, it wasn't true. (age 15)
    Embarrassing: having my car stall out in an incredibly busy intersection on a first date, not having a clue of what to do, and having HER fix it. (age 19)
    Most nerve-wracking: riding in the car one night with my father when he was so drunk he kept wandering onto the wrong side of the road. Made it home without a scratch. (age 15). Also known as the night my belief in miracles was established.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  5. Scot

Scot Senior Member

Happiest:Leaving school and home (16) It was either that or patricide.
    Saddest: When my dog died (15)
    Most embarrassing: When mum emptied my jeans' pockets and found a half empty packet of condoms. (17) (She did my laundry even though I'd left home)
    Most frightening: When girlfriend thought she might be pregnant. (17) (That and the most embarrassing event are related)
    Calmest, most peaceful moment: Nearly drowning after I fell into the sea during a gale.
    Most nerve-wracking: Being chased for several miles on my Bonneville, by the police, at 110 mph. They caught me. (19)

6. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

It may be a little early for me to do this but...

Happiest: Sitting on the field at college, listening to music, all my (college) friends were there and slightly drunk. I was the only sober one and I had to roll their cigarettes, which I got a kiss on the cheek for. (age 17)
    Saddest: The moment my friend (who had been my friend from 3 yrs old- 11) after two years of not talking to me finally told me why she stopped being my friend. (age 13) Also the funeral of my grandad. He'd split up from my gran and got married and had three daughters. Everyone there was from this new family or friends of them and then they asked who my dad was. That moment when he said 'his son', shaking hands with each person, as they would utter apologies, made me cry so much. (age 17)
    Embarrassing: Having the ambulance called on me because my heart was going stupid beats per min. (age 16)
    Nerve-racking: Another friend invited me to {insert large town} but I hadn't been alone with her for two years. She'd changed so much. (age 18)

7. Oswiecenie

Oswiecenie Active Member

- Long nights of watching movies and playing Mario Party with my closest friend while having a couple of beers or more.

- Spending an extremely rainy saturday outside in the woods with a high school friend while working on a biology project. Back home, we feasted on green tea and pizza and couldn't stop laughing about the hilarity of our situation.

- Visiting my father after my parents separated, first in another town, then in another country, then in yet another different country. Always a good time, always great to see a new place, always an island of relief from the stress of everyday teenage life. Even the trips themselves left a lot of good memories of long rides through the evenings and nights, all the excitement of flying and watching people at the airport.

- That day when I was sick and some classmates spontaneously came to visit me at home. I was completely taken by surprise. Words can't express how much that brightened my day.

- Smoking during the breaks with no one around, just listening to music and/or getting lost in my thoughts and day dreams.

- The moment I realized that me teasing (or what I thought was "only teasing"...) my younger brother about his figure (he was never really overweight or anything, just a little bit on the chubby side back then) every now and then had actually resulted in serious insecurities.

- For a while, my brother was really alienated from my father and to some extent, also from me (in this case, that's of course no surprise).

- I've effectively kicked some people I used to be very close with out of my life. In each case, they started to change in a rather shitty manner and I responded by being at least equally shitty to them.

There are many memories that make me flinch up until today, but strangely, I can't recall anything in particular right now. Let's just say I hit rock bottom more than once. It's probably for the better that my brain shelved them (until they pop up again unexpectedly of course).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Malisky likes this.
  8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Best:
    Getting my first 5-Piece drum kit at 13. It was a Percussion Plus wine red, and had the crappiest cymbals ever made.

At 16 I begged my Mother for a year for a Pearl Export Series 9 Piece. And now I play the hell out of it (even though I am
    down to a 5 and a half, cause it is on a single bass with a double pedal.) It was an 8-Piece in charcoal grey, and got the
    8x8 tom to fill it out in mirror chrome. Sabian 20 B8-Pro Power Rock Ride, 16-18 AA Metal-X crashes, 17 AAX Dark Crash,
    18 B8 Pro China (Now it is an 18 Paiste pst5 China), and 14 Paiste Rude hi-hat.

18 I was making good money since I had dropped out of school, and became a carpet installer apprentice. Got a Bronze
    Series B.C. Rich Warlock for 150 on sale from Musicians Friend. I could not play worth a damn, then again the guitar
    was nothing to write home about either. Even though I have stupid fingers, I always pretended I was a rockstar. Put custom
    set of strings on it: Ernie Ball Custom Singles 74-15. Even after all these years I am no Zakk Wylde. :p

Saddest:

Well it is more f**ked up than sad. From 2-12 my old man was a mean SOB. Nothing says love like beatings with belts,
    pot-metal shovel, knobbly end of a bat, and good old knuckles. Along with being told I wouldn't be anything, and my
    personal favorite after a steak knife whizzed by my head: "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it."

12-13 my parents got a divorce, and my Mother had retired from the service. My dad did not live with us any more.
    Both my Mother and my Sister can attest to me running like hell and hiding in my room with the door locked when
    ever I saw his car coming down the road. I would just sit there in silence and would not come out until he was gone.

Well that is enough depressing for one post. Time to go find something less sad around here. :supersmile:

9. Siena

Siena Senior Member

Happiest: falling in love (who said, "noone loves as the young love" ? or something like that; great)

Saddest: the shyness; wishing I knew then how not to be.

10. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Happiest: Falling madly in love. I was seventeen, it was summer and I basically lived like a bum at that time. He was nineteen and lived a hippie life. Spend many nights at his place which had turned into a strays community. At some point he told me he had enough. He had to escape this place. He asked me to escape with him and... we did. We just left, with no baggage at all. Left everyone and everything behind. We went to a new friends place where we stayed for two days, sleeping outside, at his rooftop under the stars.

Saddest: It was my birthday, just turned seventeen. I woke up and kissed my grandfather who had been struggling for his life some months now. He told me happy birthday. I didn't have much time to speak to him because I had to rush to school. It was the annual examination period. I went to school, gave the exams and as I was returning home I was thinking that I did quite well. I was proud. When I got back home everyone was crying. He was gone.

Most embarrassing: I was fourteen and it was a very hot, spring day. I was in class, sitting at my desk, writing stuff down. It was dead quite in class. I'm not sure why. I think that we had to solve a math problem or something... idk. Anyhow, at some point I felt something at my back. It tickled. Then I felt a palm stroking at me. It felt good. I sneaked peaked behind me and found out that my classmate that sat behind me, let's call him Ben, was petting me. Wtf? Naive, little me thought that this was just a sweet, innocent gesture. He was not so shabby looking, although I hadn't paid any attention to him since that day. And then everything happened so fast. He pulled my bra way back, like a slingshot and left it. SHLASH! It felt like whip. It hurt so much that I screamed. I was utterly shocked. Everyone turned to look at me. I turned to look at the motherfucker who did this and he was laughing his ass off. I jumped him and the damn fool was still laughing. We were thrown out of class. I couldn't even explain myself to the teacher because it was just so embarrassing. (I was somewhat new to the bra thing).

Most nerve racking: I was fourteen. It was a summer evening, all my friends were gone and I was bored as hell and very pissed off. By chance I found my uncles secret stash - a mint box containing weed, which I afterwards figured it was actually skank "white widow" - and stole half of it and some big sheets. I didn't even smoke at the time and didn't know how to roll a joint. I just had the basic impression of how it's done by movies. I went to the rooftop and somehow rolled a brave, big joint, I held it like a flute (since my design was ridiculous) and lit it up. I smoked it very fast, chocking after each hit, since I knew I had to hold it in, waiting for the magic to happen but nothing. Then I got up to leave and... the magic caught up with me. I fell down and stayed down, for I don't know how much time but I didn't faint. I was just very dizzy. I attempted in multiple intervals to descend the external, spiral stairs but it was impossible. They were moving! I was afraid that I would fall to my death. Then the night fell. My mother knew I was up there and called for me, just to make sure. She told me to come down. I told her that I was looking at the stars. She told me that I was crazy. There were no stars. A thunderstorm was coming. I looked up. She was right. "I'm coming!" I yelled and started crawling down the stairs. I was moving like a snail, holding at the bars like my life depended on it, feeling like throwing up with every step I descended. It was by far the most danger I ever felt.

11. Iain Sparrow

The first time I smoked anything was spending the night at my best friend's house when his parents were out for the night. We were both 13 at the time. We got into the liquor cabinet and found a big green cigar... it was a seaweed cigar, and we smoked it, drank some bourbon, and then puked our guts out.o_O

12. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Lol. Are there seaweed cigars? Got to try it sometime. Sounds delicious.

13. Iain Sparrow

Oh yes, they do exist... for what purpose I know not.:)

Smoking a cigar is like smoking a whole pack of cigarettes at once.

14. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Happiest: Losing my grandmother. (She'd been sick since I was a kid and suffering more than living.)
    Saddest: Losing my grandmother.
    Most embarrassing: I'd just read"As I lay dying" by Fawkner and was interested in stream of consciousness and picked various characters in literature to play with. One of them was Alex from a clockwork orange and a page of it ended up falling out of my notebook and ended up in the guidance councilor's hands. He'd already called my parents before I put the "ultraviolence" scenes into context with the rest of the story. Yes, the page they found was as psychopathic as you'd think it was.

15. Denegroth

Denegroth Banned

Happiest? I was never happy as a teenager. Being a teenager convinced me happiness is a myth. I spent my teenage years expecting to turn eighteen and get a draft card in the mail sending me to Vietnam. When I turned eighteen I got a draft card in the mail. I still have it. I use it as a bookmark for a 1936 edition of the Boy Scout Manual. (I'm an Eagle Scout, by the way.)

Saddest? The saddest day of our lives then was the day we learned Bubba Kiger had died in Vietnam and was coming home in a box. His brother Frank was a good friend of ours. Bubba was a couple of years older, so he went first. Frank was inconsolable. So were we.

Embarrassing? That was when I learned Richard Nixon had been elected president. I couldn't believe I lived in a country with people in it who could look at pure evil and say, "We want him for our leader."

Nerve wracking? Trying to convince adults who believed the government should be blindly obeyed to see the war in Vietnam was unjust, and a profit-making operation for a corporate structure willing to fuel their money machine with a continual stream of eighteen year old boys fresh out of high school. It was actually more difficult than convincing people black people should be allowed to vote.

I grew up during a time which robbed us of our childhoods (those numbered among the ones with a social conscience.) It was during the Civil Rights Movement as well, and I grew up in the south where every day there was news of a lynching, or a church burning, or assassination by rifle fire. I don't recommend it. Had we had a choice we'd have picked something more...conventional, if there is such a thing.

16. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Well, at least you know nothing like that could ever happen now. :unsure:

Albeit, S~A~W and Denegroth like this.
  17. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

Happiest: when I had my first real French kiss with my girlfriend after school and knew I was the man at 18.

Saddest: when I went through a depression at 16-17.

18. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

The happiest moment of my teenage years was the moment I turned 20 and stopped being a teenager.