1. alw86

alw86 Active Member

Best Font/Size/Spacing to use in a letter to encourage reader engagement?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by alw86, Apr 5, 2021.

Long story short, I need to send a letter to a public figure and would like to maximise the chances that they at least start reading it. This person isn't active on social media, so it has to be a physical letter. They are by no means an A list celebrity or anything, but nevertheless the sort of person I would expect gets a fair few cranks and chancers writing to them. I'm not a crank or the usual kind of chancer looking for money or a career boost, but I am going to be asking them for a favour (of a kind which, based on what I know about this person, I suspect they might be inclined to at least consider). This is one of those 'the chances of getting a favourable reply are infinitesimally small but not actually zero' situations, so I'd like to give myself the best possible shot.

I'm obviously going to be trying to make the text as concise and engaging as possible. However, I'm wondering if people have any advice on the best font/size/spacing to use, to make it as reader-friendly as possible? The whole thing is likely to reach a good thousand words, I don't think I can make it shorter than that and still cover everything I need to get through.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

12 pt, Times New Roman, 1.5 spacing?

alw86 likes this.
  3. alw86

alw86 Active Member

Thanks, I guess simple is always the way to go!