Tags:
  1. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

Best place to get book cover art?

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Kstaraga, Jul 8, 2021.

Just curious, where are some great places to get some book cover art? Needing some good recommendations or a variety of options. I would make one myself, but I'm not sure if in the long run I'm that skilled with graphic design.

2. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

After seeing multiple recommendations, I went to www.fiverr.com. They have a category of "gigs" specifically for book cover design, either print or e-book, or both.

https://www.fiverr.com/search/gigs?query=book cover design&source=main_banner&acmpl=1&search_in=everywhere&search-autocomplete-original-term=book cover design&search-autocomplete-available=true&search-autocomplete-type=suggest&search-autocomplete-position=1&ref=gig_price_range:0,50

I sorted through a metric boatload of ads, finally ended up contacting five, and narrowed the field to two based on the responses. From there, I flipped a mental coin and gave one of them the gig to do the cover for my first book. I was extremely unhappy with the result. She made some changes, and I was still extremely unhappy. I chalked it up to miscommunication -- English is not the artist's first (and possibly not even her second) language. I paid her for what she did, didn't use it, and did the cover myself.

For my second book I went to the other of the two I had identified the first time around. I found her to be easy to communicate, responsive, and quick to grasp what I had in mind for a concept. She generated both print and e-book covers in half the expected time, and IMHO the cover is spectacular. It evokes precisely the feeling I wanted.

I won't name the first cover artist (the one I was unhappy with), because other people who have used her have been pleased with her work. I can't recommend her but I probably also shouldn't diss her by name.

On the other hand, I can't recommend the second woman I used highly enough. Her name in fiverr is Izabeladesign:
    https://www.fiverr.com/izabeladesign?source=gig_cards&referrer_gig_slug=design-professional-book-cover-or-ebook-cover&ref_ctx_id=314bd60c1f3ae96e4b7147278d1bdcb5

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  3. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Facebook groups or you can try searching for premade covers. This site has some of the largest selection for premades: https://thebookcoverdesigner.com/ (skill varies as well as price). Not that you have to go a premade route (instead of custom) but looking through the covers there could lead you to a designer you like.

4. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

Thanks, all!

I will definitely consider Izabela and look at the premades. I've been through a few premade sites, but of course they're always a hit or miss because what you need just may not be there.

Thanks again :)

marshipan likes this.
  5. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

Still looking. I forgot that I got banned from Fiverr - it's been years since I've been on there. Tried doing my own gigs before, but they literally banned me for no reason. To this day, my e-mail can't be registered, either and it's not up because I can't request a password as it doesn't exist. So lame that website...anyway...still trying to keep an eye out for premades, but nothing seems to scream my book. =(

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

You may be being too picky about what "your book" is... the purpose of a cover is to communicate genre and make the reader want to read the blurb...it is not to accurately depict the exact plot.

If you can't use Fiverr, i'd suggest 99designs and upwork as other options for cheaper designers but do bear in mind that you get what you pay for... if you have very specific requirements you might be better biting the bullet on cost and commissioning an actual designer

7. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

You might try contacting Izabela through her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/izabela.bocevska

8. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

I have found stuff on the premades website before, but I wasn't able to buy it at that time and it went quickly. The book covers I have found that screamed my book haven't lasted long - I usually seem to find them when I don't have the money lol.

Some of the premade websites when I have looked for fantasy genre for a book cover that is less than $100, it isn't always the biggest pool of covers, unfortunately.

I've heard of upwork, but I'm not sure about 99designs, I'll have to check it out.

Yeah, I know the phrase "you get what you pay for." Know it all too well, but I really can't afford to spend $100+ on a book cover, either...it's just not doable :( as much as I'd love to afford top knotch, I'm unable to.

9. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

I could probably do that. Thanks! :D