1. NevadaMartin

NevadaMartin New Member

Newbie Writer Seeks Input

Discussion in 'Agent Discussion' started by NevadaMartin, May 17, 2011.

Received interest from agent. Informed that I am seeking coaching as first time author. Agent has stated interest in coaching for fee and representing on commission. Wrong for me to ask coaching fee to be part of deal with payment to be paid as part of any book deal commission to confirm true interest?

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

I don't think it's unreasonable of him to ask for a fee for any 'coaching' he does...it isn't part of an agent's usual responsibilities so should be treated separately to the commission he takes, and if he's willing to give up his time to help a writer in a way that isn't directly related to selling work, he should be paid for it. All of this assumes, of course, that he's on the level in the first place. If he checks out and is reputable, and you genuinely want him to help coach you (which, by the way, I'm not sure is a great idea, there's nothing that says a literary agent is a good writer, or a good teacher) then you're gonna have to pay him for it.

3. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

I'd definitely check him out through other sources such as Query Tracker just to see if he's on the up and up. I'm honestly surprised though. I never thought Agents would have the time to coach new authors but if it's true then that's cool.

4. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

Yeah check out his previous book sales. If he's made some worthy sales then he's a good agent who coaches on the sideline. If he has no sales, he's a writing coach trying to be an agent.

Either way, if he does offer professional assistance with your writing he deserves to be paid.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There are quite a few "agents" out there who aren't really agents - they scam people with fees for useless services. Beware!

6. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Cogito, you know the market better than us, I assume: do these "couches" really exist? Are they valuable ro just scammers? And how they're supposed to "coach" authors?

The only thing that comes in my mind is to prepare them for interviews with publishers.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

legit agents do NOT solicit fees for 'coaching' their clients!

anyone who would even discuss doing so is not a legit agent...

and, fyi, all agents rep their clients' work on commission...

go here and learn what being/having an agent means and what to protect yourself from:

http://www.invirtuo.cc/prededitors/pubagent.htm

1 person likes this.
  8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Stay away, imo. An agent should be paid for one thing only - placing your book. Then he takes a commission.

9. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Hah, what a sweet deal. What most agents do when they take on first time authors is pretty much coaching. If they didn't think the author/work was worth the time invested, then they wouldn't take on the client. To get bonus cash for doing their job, sweet!

My guess is the agent set up this first-time author by expressing reservations, asking specific questions leading the writer to eagerly attempt to prove themselves by declaring "yes, I am so dedicated to this that I'm looking for coaching/mentoring/training/advice!" Just so happens the writer lucks out, because the agent can offer just those things... for a price.

Not an agent I'd personally do business with.

Though, let's be clear that these days agents do also often work in other capacities, as an editor or teacher or lecturer, etc. They'll be up front about it, though, services and costs clearly indicated, no just happening to offer services you need conveniently when you mention such a need, and not so much by going to the writer with interest in such services, but the other way around.