Tags:
  1. mustu123

mustu123 New Member

My first Murder Mystery..[Help]

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by mustu123, May 8, 2013.

Hello everyone,
    I am planning to write my first book. I have a plot ready in my mind. Please read the plot below. And it would be great if I could get comments from you guys on certain twists and turns i could include in the story. I am also open to suggestions for plot enhancement.

Plot:
    A software engineer with interest in literature and completely depressed with his current life decides to write a murder mystery. For help and research he approaches the local cops who allow him to take notes for his book. The on-going investigation is revolving around a serial killer and things get complicated when the serial killers latest victim turns out to be the software engineer's ex-girlfriend.
    The serial killer is killing only ladies who have cheated on their husbands/boyfriends.
    Initial investigation points towards the software engineer as the killer. There are two cops (1 male and 1 female). I am also planning to add a romantic angle to the lady cop and the engineer.

I would love to have some comments and suggestions as I am just a rookie and this is my first book.

2. mg357

mg357 Active Member

I have a suggest what if the software engineer character in your book witnesses a crime and the female cop is assigned to protect him while the bad guys are being tracked down by the police and after the bad guys are caught there is a trial and after the trial is over with the software engineer character asks the female cop out on a date then the romance can grow and develop between the two characters.

3. mustu123

mustu123 New Member

hmmm but if I make him a witness to the crime, I cannot make him my initial suspect.
    What i was planning was that the female cop is already married with her marriage having problems. So during the investigation, she falls for the engineer. And now since even she has 'cheated', I'l try to make and look the engineer a bad guy (temporarily) and make him the initial suspect.

4. bluejt2000

bluejt2000 Member

The summary you provided is not a complete plot. I can only offer the following suggestions:

• Your next step is to work out who your actual killer is and why and how he committed the murders.
    • You then need to work out how your sleuth solves the crime.
    • You already have his motive for solving it--the police suspect him. The police are also an antagonist, as they will attempt to block him. The female detective could be the sleuth's confidante/source of information as well as the romantic interest.
    • You will also need a list of suspects, one of whom will be the killer; a list of clues that lead eventually to the killer; and a set of red herrings, which initially throw your sleuth and the reader off the trail.

This will give you the framework for your story, or the skeleton of a complete plot, which you can then begin to flesh out.

5. mustu123

mustu123 New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    Well actually i do have that figured out.. The actual killer is the lady cops partner. why and how are also decided.
    For solving the crime--I have certain ideas for that as well.

So apart from all that is mentioned, anything else that i can add/modify to make it much more better?

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. What matters is how you write it: the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's absolutely no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development? to understand the difference between plot and story line.

And don't ask other people to come up with your story for you. Exercise your own imagination instead. Your own creativity and confidence will both benefit.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto what cog said...