1. mgold

mgold New Member

What should I get paid?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by mgold, Aug 17, 2011.

I was recently asked to give a quote for what I wanted to get paid for writing for a website. They get about 100,000 unique visitors everyday. It's an automotive focused website. I assume the expectation is to produce something everyday or every other day. What would be reasonable?

2. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

What sort of things are you required to write? How much time do you spend on your work?

3. TobiasJames

TobiasJames New Member

First things first, lad, do them the courtesy of finding out a little more about the nature of the work you'll be doing for them, before you start making demands for payment. ;)

It will reflect far better on you if you ask them the necessary questions first and offer them a quote based on their answers, rather than plucking a figure out of thin air and negotiating from there.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all of the above!

plus, once you have that info, you should google for the going rate being paid for such work... as a beginner, you should probably quote a rate at the lower end of the spectrum, to have the best chance of getting the job...

that said, before you do anything with this offer, make sure it's 100% legit, as there are more scams on the internet aimed at know-little-to-nothing writer wannabes than you can possibly imagine... so, check them out thoroughly and do the same with anyone who claims they'll pay you for your work...

5. mgold

mgold New Member

I would imagine the writing would be everyday. In the description it is says they need someone to blog or write almost daily. So it would be quite a big time commitment. I will be writing industry updates, features, and eventually vehicle reviews I assume.

6. JSLCampbell

JSLCampbell New Member

Wouldn't it be based hourly? lets say they except you to do writing 3 hours a day. I'm pretty sure the pay would be calculated per-hour? In which case, it needs to be above minimum wage remember, so that's perhaps a starting point. But, I don't know all the technical details or what the laws might be in your country, or anything like that. All I can say for sure is to take mammamaia's advice and thoroughly make sure they're 100% legit first.

7. VaWineSnob

VaWineSnob New Member

Pay for blogging is typically based on how many views your blog receives, typical is a penny per view.

8. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

It depends on the site, of course. My guess, and I mean no offense, is the work wouldn't and shouldn't pay very much. Many writing jobs, especially entry level where the writer has to ask an internet forum what they should be paid after the site owners apparently ask them for a quote, are the kinds of things generally accepted to even be on an internship/volunteer basis by writers hoping to start gaining some writing credits, not thinking writing blogs for a website is going to be their full time job, but more a stepping stone. Basically, anything they're willing to pay you is probably more than you should expect or hope in your situation, as there are probably a line of other writers willing to do it for less, or free, looking for a byline credits that may some day lead to a job where the company gives you an offer trying to lure your talents, not the other way around where you have to effectively enter into a comparison of who will do the writing for the least amount of monetary reward.

9. mgold

mgold New Member

Numbers!

I have been writing for another automotive website basically for free. I have already been producing high quality content. So this is a step-up for me!

I think a standard article they would want is around 350-400 words. I could ask for around $20-25 per hour. I do not think that is unreasonable for what they are asking in terms of a writing commitment.

10. TobiasJames

TobiasJames New Member

LOL!! Good luck with that! :s

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

assume nothing!

do what i said and ask the people who want to hire you for the info you're lacking...

12. mgold

mgold New Member

I did send them questions and I am still waiting to hear back. They probably just wanted a low figure! :)