Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Looking for Writers who want a Story Editing/Ideas Partner

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by StoryForest, Oct 8, 2019.

Hi, are there any experienced writers who need a story editing partner? I’m great with stories whether it is idea generation, structure and planning, plot twists, character arcs, theme creation, scene setups etc. but I need help in the writing department. Are there any writers interested in working together with the goal of getting a novel published?

I’m very collaborative. It doesn’t matter if you want to start a brand new story or work off of an existing one that you’re stuck on. I can come in anywhere in the process. My focus is on helping my partner come up with stories that they want to write about because the ultimate goal is to push through and get it published!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

What writing help do you need?

3. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Hi, Some Guy - It’s nothing specific, I just think two heads are better than one especially those with different skills sets that can complement each other. I’m not looking for a writer to read or critique my work, but I can help someone critique theirs from a story perspective or help them discover where their story can go next.

4. Some Guy

I'm game to try. PM me a gmail for Docs. Collaboration is more fun there.

5. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Great! I just responded, looking forward to working together.

6. Zombie Among Us

Zombie Among Us Active Member

Hey, StoryForest, your offer sounds intriguing. I've never finished anything big before, and a bit of help with that sounds great. I'd consider myself pretty good with the writing portion, so if you're good with idea generation, then I think a collaboration could work. How about we PM about it?

7. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Sure, just send via PM.

8. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Is this request restricted to "experienced" writers only? I'm great at ideas but I really struggle with getting it started and fleshed out. Some people make it look so easy.....

If you're willing to work with inexperienced....here I am! If not, no worries.

9. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Hi Cdn Writer, it's mostly for experienced writers but if you have just a few quick questions on how to get started, I can try to help with that as well. Just post here or send it via PM. :)

10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Can we clarify what you mean by a story editing partner ? If you are taking payment or any percentage of royalties in return for editting or critique that would be a massive rule break because its essentially selling a service

If you mean exchanging beta reads without reward other than a reciprocal read then that's fine, equally if you were looking to actually co write with someone then that'd be okay too but it would be good to be clear about what it is you are asking for?

11. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

I’m looking for a collaboration partner as well as offering editing/critiques with no request for payment to help others learn how to create better stories.

Among all the users that I’ve talked to, there has been only one instance where money came up. It was not during initial engagement but two months after. Initially, we stared discussing one story concept then she asked if I could also review another manuscript idea of hers. After I did that as a friendly favor with no request for payment, we went on to discuss other story ideas. This went on for several weeks until I was faced with a task that would require me to create a full-length novel plotline with her from scratch. My response was that this would be like a co-creator relationship and if the work will be published, then ownership and profit from sales would have to come into the picture. I have no intention to sell my services but would be interested in collaboration where ownership and profit would be shared among the creators.

Just for the purpose of privacy - the user being referred to was no one on this thread but had reached out via PM. :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Some Guy likes this.
  12. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Actually you sound a lot like the kind of partner in writing I'm looking for at the moment. Is there a particular genre you had in mind for this sort of endeavor? Also, has the position already been filled my this other person you were doing free beta-reading for? I don't have anything I need read at the moment, but i would enjoy working on almost any genre other than erotica as a collaboration. PM me if you have any thoughts on it.

StoryForest and Some Guy like this.
  13. Some Guy

I did a kind of workshop dialogue with him on Docs. It was interesting. At no time did a mention of services or anything to do with payment or co-authoring come up. I have yet to see his work, but am open any time.
    BSM, you're welcome to see the bit we worked on. PM me if you want a link.

StoryForest likes this.
  14. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Thank you, Some Guy! I am very grateful to you for stepping up to share your experience with me. As always, I'm happy to review more of your work (for free lol) as I remember you have a really fascinating and intricate world with great ideas.

Some Guy likes this.
  15. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Thanks, EFMingo! I will PM you. :)

16. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Good luck with this everybody. It sounds like a great idea. I am busy trying to finish a M.S at the moment so unfortunately cannot take part. It think the moose has made a fair point as always. It has also been an opportunity for you all to clarify that no money will be changing hands for services. Maybe in time you may share a little of something so we can see what you come up with?

Some Guy likes this.
  17. Some Guy

I've seen a bit of his work (unless I'm confused). Good stuff. :) Worthy of posting a few K.

18. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

The overall assumption our members make is that help is freely offered on the forum, by everyone, without any strings attached. Any deviation from that needs to be clearly defined at the outset of the relationship—and preferably in the OP of any thread.

No one should enter into a collaboration, assuming all they'll be doing is exchanging or receiving critiques, only to discover—later on—that their partner wants to be credited as a co-author or editor because they've 'helped.'

If both agree to formal co-authorship at the start of the collaboration, that's fine. The moderating team isn't opposed to co-authorship agreements being set up, between forum members. But co-authorship must be agreed upon by both parties before any work is exchanged. And preferably the intention to seek formal co-authorship should be made clear in any original post that offers collaboration.

19. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

It is also worth saying that co-authorship implies just that - that both parties are authors of the work.

Professional editing (as opposed to beta readers etc) is a service that authors generally pay for, and a royalty share in return for editing is just another form of payment. We should be clear that offering services for which one expects any kind of payment is against the site rules and not permitted.

jannert likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.