1. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

BetaBooks.co

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Laurin Kelly, Mar 25, 2021.

The last couple of days I've been seeing some posts on social media drawing very positive attention to a Beta Reader platform for authors - https://betabooks.co

Has anyone here used this site? Any pitfalls on the surface to be aware of? There is a free trial, it looks like, with a monthly fee after that of $14.99. And it their FAQ clearly states that authors retain all copyrights to anything posted on their platform.

I know that finding Betas (which this platform does offer assistance with via their Beta Directory) has been a particular challenge for some of the members here, so I thought it might be useful, unless someone else gets a weird vibe from it that I'm missing.

2. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

Interesting - do beta readers get paid? I know it wouldn’t be much. Just curious about their model.

3. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Banned

i know someone who tried it and it didn't work out for what they wanted.

4. alw86

alw86 Active Member

$14.99 strikes me as a pretty hefty fee, especially as it's per month and not per read, so you'd be paying even if you got no readers. I haven't used it myself but there is a group on FB where several friends of mine have found good betas for free, that would be my first port of call if friends/word of mouth wasn't an option.