1. mth0csc

mth0csc New Member

The Object of Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by mth0csc, Nov 10, 2011.

Let's say there is a problem with the network. Do you "troubleshoot the network"? Or do you "troubleshoot the network problem"?

Both seem acceptable, according to Merriam-Webster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/troubleshoot), which gives the following examples:

<troubleshoots TV receivers> <troubleshoot a problem>

However, if "toubleshooting the network" is sufficient, "troubleshooting the network problem" would sound a bit redundant, right?

What's your opinion on this, if I am not making a fuss about nothing?

2. Faust

Faust Active Member

As an IT person, we just troubleshoot the network as often one error creates another. For example a broken cable can create communication errors that causes a program to freeze. So we generally begin a 'top-down' approach to solving the issues by starting with one level (Usually the 'physical') and working our way down (usually the 'software' level) until they are all resolved.

Hope that helps :)

But from a grammatical point of view, "troubleshooting the network" works just fine. Troubleshooting the network problem sounds redundant as doesn't troubleshooting mean you are addressing the problem?

3. mth0csc

mth0csc New Member

My thought too.

A follow-up question would be: When is it appropriate for us to "troubleshoot a problem" (as in the M-W example shown above) instead? When we are not sure or don't want to be specific about the object which has the problem? In that case, would it be simpler to say "I am troubleshooting" than "I am troublshooting a problem"? I hope I don't sound all too pedantic...

4. Arathald

Arathald New Member

I don't see "trobuleshooting the problem" as odd-sounding, though "troubleshoot the issue" sounds slightly more natural. I think either toubleshooting the network or the issue works fine, with subtly different shades of meaning. Tech people *do* tend to be concise with such things, so "troubleshoot the network" or "troubleshoot the issue" would be fine, while "troubleshoot the network issue" sounds a bit wordy (though not redundant)

5. Jetshroom

Jetshroom Active Member

I use "troubleshoot the problem" if the problem's source hasn't been identified.

That's me though.

Also, unsecure network is correct in an IT sense because an insecure network sounds like it needs a hug. I like that.

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I only troubleshoot because it is a technological terms that refers to both computers and computer generated problem.
    troubleshoot for me indicates that there is a problem that need ''shooting'' ie solving rather.