1. FallenShandeh

FallenShandeh New Member

better way to say "said sternly"?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by FallenShandeh, Jul 1, 2014.

I don't like using too many adverbs when I write, but I honestly cannot think of a better way to put this sentence.

“Castiel,” Harding said sternly, “you’re needed. There’s nobody to cover for you, and being worried about your boyfriend isn’t a good enough reason to skip work.”

More worried about the dialogue tag than the rest.

Anyone?

2. xtracker85

xtracker85 New Member

Perhaps you try:

"Castiel, you're needed," Harding said with a stern voice. "There’s nobody to cover for you, and worrying about your boyfriend isn’t a good enough reason to skip work.”

FallenShandeh likes this.
  3. FallenShandeh

FallenShandeh New Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH OMG I've been stressing over that for ages, that's perfect.

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Or perhaps

Harding frowned at his [friend/coworker/underling]. “Castiel, you’re needed. There’s nobody to cover for you, and being worried about your boyfriend isn’t a good enough reason to skip work.”

5. FallenShandeh

FallenShandeh New Member

I should clarify this is a phone conversation, Cas is calling in sick. His boss, Tracy Harding, needs him, because they're already understaffed.

6. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

How about just "said?"
    You could always add in that there was a long pause. Something like:
    Harding said nothing for what seemed like an eternity. "Castiel," she said. "You know very well there is no one to cover for you. If your boyfriend's circumstances are so dire, perhaps you need to reconsider whether you can continue working."

7. FallenShandeh

FallenShandeh New Member

Thank you :)

Harding doesn't speak like that. She's a professional, but she's very casual about it. She's friends with most of the doctors who train under her. Cas is different because he's uncomfortable with friendships with colleagues at all, and higher-ups especially. But I could use the narration around what she would actually say :)

8. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Yes, of course -- you should make the narration fit what your character would actually say, how they would say it, etc. to comport with the situation and their personality. Your instinct to avoid adverbs is correct -- often they're not needed, and it can be more effective to describe what is happening instead of just telling us that she was using a stern voice or whatever.

9. FallenShandeh

FallenShandeh New Member

Why am I even stressing this much about a fanfiction? lol

My main project doesn't get stressed over this much. What am I doing? XD maybe it's because my fanfiction, while not finished yet, already has readers?

10. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

“Castiel,” Harding said, voice more than a little stern, “you’re needed. There’s nobody to cover for you, and being worried about your boyfriend isn’t a good enough reason to skip work.”

“Castiel,” Harding said, voice stern, “you’re needed. There’s nobody to cover for you, and being worried about your boyfriend isn’t a good enough reason to skip work.”

“Castiel,” Harding said, voice as stern as an [Insert any number of things here], “you’re needed. There’s nobody to cover for you, and being worried about your boyfriend isn’t a good enough reason to skip work.”

“Castiel,” Harding said, voice conveying a stop-being-an-idiot tone, “you’re needed. There’s nobody to cover for you, and being worried about your boyfriend isn’t a good enough reason to skip work.”

“Castiel,” Harding said, voice full of sternness, “you’re needed. There’s nobody to cover for you, and being worried about your boyfriend isn’t a good enough reason to skip work.”

The possibilities are endless. :agreed:

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Said sternly? Is that like talking out yer arse? ;)

Jhunter likes this.
  12. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

icwhatudidthere. :rofl:

13. FallenShandeh

FallenShandeh New Member

Thanks all, you've been hugely helpful :) I got the chapter written and now I'm working on a later one. I'm depressing myself and making myself cry with this so oh god I can only imagine what it's going to do to my readers...

14. Lilly Baillie

Lilly Baillie New Member

If the character, Harding, is a big sassy, you could use;

“Castiel,” Harding SNAPPED, “you’re needed. There’s nobody to cover for you, and being worried about your boyfriend isn’t a good enough reason to skip work.”

Just don't use the capitals, just wanted the edit I made to stand out.

15. EBohio

EBohio Banned

I see you didn't notice that the last reply to this thread was in July 2014. I hoped she figured it out by now.

16. camphore

camphore Member

Snapped is what popped into my mind when I read it. Hope it worked out for her.