1. SlowToShow

SlowToShow Member

Favorite keyboard for under 50?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by SlowToShow, Jun 30, 2017.

I don't like my keyboard, so I'm looking for a new one. I've been using an Insignia for about three months. It's a ten dollar cheapo. The keys are too low, too wide at the top, and slightly too annoying. I'm considering a Tomoko, but I figured a thread on the topic would be helpful in sussing out alternatives.

I can't bring myself to spend more than fifty bucks. It's just typing. Any suggestions, alternatives?

2. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

You can get a good keyboard for 30-40 bucks these days. I have an ergonomic (split) board that I bought a few months ago; it took about a week to get used to it, but I like it (it's an MS 4000, in case you're wondering). Logitech makes good keyboards, as does Microsoft (yeah, I know). If all else fails, do what I do - check out the sites that sell hardware and look at the reviews and ratings.

3. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

jannert likes this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I almost like that. However, I would like it better a) if the keys were stepped (there's an ergomatic reason for that) low at front and higher at back. And I'm not sure b) that I like the round keys much.

However, I think it's an excellent idea. For me, the flat keyboards are simply awful to work on. My fingers slip on the keys, my hands get tired working flat.

I use an old white Apple wired keyboard that IS stepped and works a treat. Furthermore, it's got double-sized shift keys on both right and left sides. I hate the tiny left-hand shift keys that appear on so many keyboards these days. Why do they do that? I think you can buy these now for between £10-30.

You can get lots of older keyboards on eBay for a song and a dance. And most of them work fine with more modern computers.
    keyboard.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  5. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

Favorite keyboard for under 50? - can't help with recommendations but thanks for making me chuckle with the heading, I totally mis-read this and thought you were looking for advice on keyboards for young people rather than the over 50 years of age... who, if you're like me, don't want all the extra buttons that now seem to be there... just the basics will do. Don't know why this made me laugh but it did. Maybe time to put the stopper back in the bottle.

matwoolf likes this.
  6. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

Honestly, if you don't want to spend much cash then just go to somewhere that keyboards are sold, see how they feel and buy what works for you. Until you get up to the 100ish range then the only real differences between keyboards are in the shape of the plastic parts and how well they fit your hands/arms so pick the one that feels most comfortable to you. You can find ones with taller keycaps and palm rests and all kinds; just shop around and see what works. And if you aren't going macro/mechanical then don't spend more the $20 on a keyboard. If it doesn't have better switches in it there's no reason to pay more than the lowest common denominator. It's all the same stuff, just find what fits.

7. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I use this kind.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0114LL0NO/?tag=writingfor07a-20

Basically I wanted a clackity-clack mechanical keyboard that lit up. I gave up on the wireless aspect. It just wasn't that important to me. I left the keys all white on mine (they pop off very easily for cleaning). It comes with some red ones you can switch on there for gaming I suppose, but that's just not my bag.

Anyway. Very wise purchase. I haven't regretted doing it.

8. Michael Pless

Michael Pless Senior Member

I can't vouch for US prices, but I bought this: http://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/wireless-performance-combo-mx800?crid=27

- about 18 months ago and have been quite pleased with the two. I paid about AUD$100 for the two off eBay Oz. The devices both use AA-size rechargeable batteries although the keyboard batteries are under screwed-on flap. The KB has great feel, is backlit and despite my using it daily, a single charge lasts for about a month. I don't know if you can locate KB only, but it's worth a Google. Logitech are pretty good quality items.

9. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I go through keyboards like a beast. Cheapest way I've found is to hit up yard sales and hock shops. They usually have some old Dell or Microsoft keyboards that people are trying to get rid of. They're generally pretty solid with maybe the exception of the WASD keys being a bit spongy and usually have a CAPS lock indicator. Something that I find missing on most newer keyboards. If they have a few I can usually talk them into bundling a few I like for a couple of dollars a piece and then I have a spare or two in case I forget how coffee works again.

10. fivetoesten

fivetoesten Member

I would go with a mechanical keyboard with cherry mx switches. You can choose your clackiness. I'm typing on a pretty clacky cherry mx blue coolermaster quickfire rapid (tenkeyless). You could also just find an old ibm model M (with bucking spring switches) at a thrift store and use an adapter.

11. LostThePlot

Man if I could find a Model M keyboard at a thrift store I would be the happiest nerd in the world. I think I'd probably prefer to find a Space Cadet keyboard but I would be erect for a week to find a Model M for cheap.

And yes, I do absolutely agree that if anyone was willing to spend the money then they should be getting a mechanical keyboard. There's just no contest IMHO. These days they aren't that expensive even, there's lots of competition so prices have come down a lot. You don't need to get one with lights and sirens and macros and stuff (although I do really appreciate having those things myself) you can get the 'basic' and see a really major upgrade over a crappy membrane keyboard. It just feels good to type on and once you get used to it you will work a lot faster.

I used to really covet a Das Keyboard with blank keycaps. In my teens I made a blank keyboard (which is to say I sanded the letter off my existing keyboard) and that's when I really learned to touch type properly and that's something that people really undervalue. Teaching yourself to just look at the screen and trust your fingers to know where they are going will make a really big difference to your output as a writer. I still would quite like a Das Keyboard but at the same time I'm really happy with my Razer Black Widow Ultimate that I got during their rediculous 24 hour sale a few years ago and it's just... It's baller and I'm really happy with it.

It also can't be over-emphasized how helpful a good mouse is as well. I presently have a Razer Naga (the one with 12 buttons on the side) which is mostly for gaming but I used to have a Sharkoon Fireglider which worked just as well for writing. The reason that it matters is being able to set a dedicated button for 'delete' on my mouse really helps editing. It sounds stupid but it legitimately helped me so much cutting down the number of transfers from keyboard to mouse. I have seriously worked my right elbow bloody just jumping from keyboard to mouse and back again all day long.

12. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I, too, keep seeing the thread title and thinking, "Why would younger people need a different keyboard?"

13. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

It's kind of funny you said that. I actually had to get my grandparents one of these.

14. LostThePlot

Trust me when I tell you that nothing will put people off of trying to use your computer faster than having a blank keyboard.

15. fivetoesten

fivetoesten Member

I hate to admit it, but I also have one of these. It's a modernized Model M. Unicomp bought the patent, or something.

You know you want one.

16. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

i actually use this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NCNQKI2/?tag=writingfor07a-20 i actually like this, its pretty cheap, yeah, but i've had no issues so far, even with the extensive use i've given it, plus i tend to hit the keys heavily so, its a little more adept at handling that. (plus i like the clackity clacking sound i get while writing)

17. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I got the same one as @jannert.

upload_2017-8-9_15-46-29.jpeg

jannert likes this.
  18. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Thats looking a bit clean and tidy matt ;)

matwoolf likes this.
  19. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

!!!

matwoolf likes this.
  20. SlowToShow

SlowToShow Member

I bought a HyperX with red switches. It's a dream in terms of typing.