1. Jeff Countryman

Jeff Countryman Living the dream

Bifocal Contact Lenses - Cool but hard to get used to

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jeff Countryman, Mar 25, 2017.

[​IMG]

I've been using them for about 10 days now. They say it takes 4-6 weeks to get used to them. Basically, one eye is for close up and the other eye is for distance - the brain has to take both images and merge them into one clear image. This 'getting old thing' sure is hard to do :) Love the advancements in technology like this though.

Any other bifocal contact lens users??? What's your experience?

2. Bill Chester

Bill Chester Active Member

I have lens implants in both eyes--the right set for reading distance and the left at infinity. I can see close-up and distance, both in focus. Even though the right eye is blurry at a distance, I still see stereoscopic depth. For reading, I have glasses that correct the left eye.

If not for ophthalmologists, I'd be blind.

3. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I got the wrong glasses because my wife came with me. I was doing the test and she corrected me all the way through - she was saying 'of course that's not a C, that's a Z you idiot,' so I just 'went with it.' I'll go again in a couple of years.

4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I got Varilux (no line bi- or tri-focal) glasses a few years ago. Took some time to get used to, but now I'm completely natural with no problems.

Doubt I could get bifocal contacts, my astigmatism is too strong. A decade or so ago, they told me they could get me to 20/35 with contacts, but I'm near 20/20 with up to date glasses, so it wasn't worth the tradeoff.