1. NewWriterLookingForAdvice

NewWriterLookingForAdvice New Member

Big Decision on what i should do for a love couple's bio

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by NewWriterLookingForAdvice, Dec 23, 2022.

I'm currently doing a Biography as a first chapter for my main character. I'm explaining to the reader my main character's backstory and i'm now stuck on something with his girlfriend.

Context: My Main Character is 100% German but his Nationality is American. He moved back to Germany with his parents once his Mom (From Germany) and Dad (Not from Germany but has German ancestry) had enough money to live a wealthy life in their native land. My main character finds himself in a situation that he is bullied for not being able to adjust to German customs despite being fully German. He later on finds a girl that he befriends who later becomes his future girlfriend.

Now this is the big question: Should his girlfriend be German? Or should she be from a minority group that was living in Germany during that time? (For extra details, the time era is the 1900s. During that time, Germany had many groups of people. French, Polish, Dane, and Lithuanians are examples of the list of ethnic groups living in Imperial Germany.)

2. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

So he is bullied for being different - for being an outsider. I don't think it matters what nationality the girl is, but she's likely to be more sympathetic to him if she is an outsider, too. There are different kinds of outsiders.

3. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    Both options seem very doable:
    -a German girlfriend who finds his lack of familiarity with German customs to be endearing, and wants to help him adapt. Easy to bond over it.
    -a non-German girlfriend who can sympathize with his situation, and they seek solace in one another's company as they navigate the social stuff together.

I'm not sure about opening a story with a biography of the MC, though. Unless you aren't considering traditional publishing - then it doesn't matter how you want to get things started.

4. LadySerpentine

LadySerpentine New Member

I guess this depends on the rest of the story. As mentioned already, the relationship could work with either:
    - a German girlfriend who takes him under his wing
    - a non-German girlfriend who bonds with him over being an outsider

So, is the girlfriend involved in the rest of the story? Do they settle into Germany, or do they move away? Does MC end up embracing his German heritage? Or does he find his own identity, outside of his family's culture? The direction of MC's future might help you in deciding what elements shape his adolescence.

5. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

which part of the 1900s? that's kind of a big range

6. NewWriterLookingForAdvice

I will take those ideas into consideration. Thank you

7. NewWriterLookingForAdvice

1908-1910

8. Rake

Rake Member

Currently Reading::
    Queen of Ashes, The Dark Half
    I think you are looking at this relationship in regards to plot rather than constructing a story around this particular emotional focus. I would get on with the story and discover what you need of his girlfriend before making a final decision. With a different ethnicity you will be able to introduce conflict without trying too hard. However, there is the option of having his shortcomings bouncing off a traditionalist - a 'you don't live up-to angle.' Find out what helps your plot when it comes to writing the dialogue.