1. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

Internal conflict - Ring of apology - Plot variation

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Megalith, Feb 9, 2015.

So I’m writing a short story about a man who finds a ring, while in a drunken stupor, during his bachelor party. He doesn’t remember the event but is told by his friends, that he believed at the time that it was a gift belonging to his dead father. He is astounded by the claim and decides to find the original owner to put whatever did happen that night, behind him.

I know how this story ends. It’s the middle that has got me second guessing myself. As it stands right now he calls the bar where he found it and gets a lead. When he arrives he finds that it is a stripper bar and that the people inside are trying to punk the ring from him. But is it realistic for some strangers to be so interested in a simple golden band to team up in a somewhat elaborate plan to convince the MC to give up the ring? Even if we are dealing with some addicts here, how much would a golden ring made of pure gold be worth? And would they be so bold as to chase him to beat him up for the ring when he didn’t give it to them? Would you believe this under any circumstances? Or is it a little too forceful?

This is the only part of the story that has major outer conflict. And the only point behind it is to characterize the MC as someone who wants to get to the truth of this matter, not because he values truth, but because this is an important subject to him. And as the story progresses it becomes more and more important. Most of the rest of the story is him thinking about his past and how the events leading up to his wedding, correlate to this idea that this ring is his fathers.(Suggestions for these parts would be much appreciated. I have some ideas but somehow I think they are not enough.)

The reason MC cares so much is because his Father died at a young age and he believes that the bad habits his father kept up until his death meant he didn’t particularly care for himself or his family. MC blames him for the things that are lacking in his own life and that poor lifestyle he had to grow up in. But as these events unfold he comes to realize that maybe his father did love him, besides everything his father had put his family through.

In the end he leaves before the wedding ceremony, completely unprepared, to the graveyard his father is buried in. He wants to know before the wedding ceremony for sure, if he is going to accept it as a gift from his father and put it on his finger as his wedding ring. Not only this, but he gets a lead from a family member, at the wedding, that his father was buried with the ring.

I’m hoping that giving you as much detail as possible will help you help me. I really need some ideas for the middle section of this story. I don’t think I have quite enough to drive MC over the edge. ;) Thank you.

2. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Hey Megalith,
    Sounds like an interesting idea. My first thought about the middle section is that it would be a fantastic chance to create a minor character(s) with his/her own miniature back story for desiring such a wedding ring. Perhaps a guy who can't afford a ring for his girl friend hears that this guy is looking for the owner (perhaps he is the one who answers the call) and figures it as a good opportunity to get a real ring without having to pay anything. All he has to do is Convince the MC that the ring belongs to him. Perhaps there is some conflict, then the minor character tells the MC the truth and they talk *boom-character building moment!*

Anyway, hope that inspires some ideas for you!

Megalith likes this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Having cashed in a gold ring recently, you're probably talking no more than a value of $100, probably more like $30-$40.

Megalith likes this.
  4. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

Well I knew it wasn't going to be very much but dang, less than a hundred.... Only a Meth head would be so desperate.... Well thanks guys I think I know what I have to do for that scene. It should work out though, I'll put in some convincing motivations for sure :)

And if anyone has any ideas for coincidences that would make MC believe that this ring might indeed be his father's than please do not hesitate to voice your opinion here :)