1. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

Black Library Discussion & Reviews

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Bone2pick, May 27, 2021.

It's high time this forum had a dedicated thread where fans of Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40k (&30k), as well as other Games Workshop properties can discuss our appreciation of Black Library fiction. Might you have a favorite Black Library book or author? Then be sure to tell us what or who they are. If you've read a Black Library book recently and have a hankering to leave a review, please do so here. And if you have a question or two for any of our forum's Black Library readers, don't hesitate to ask.

Book Reviews
    Flesh and Steel, by Guy Haley

The Unremembered Empire, by Dan Abnett

Fabius Bile: Primogenitor, by Joshua Reynolds

Gotrek & Felix Omnibus, by William King

The Talon of Horus, by Aaron Dembski-Bowden

Scars, by Chris Wraight

Fabius Bile: Clonelord, by Joshua Reynolds

Alpharius: Head of the Hydra, by Mike Brooks

Vengeful Spirit, by Graham McNeill

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  2. Bone2pick

A book review to get things rolling. :read2: :agreed:

After straying from Black Library for a few years to read other things, I recently returned with Flesh and Steel by Guy Haley. What initially attracted me to this story was that it was from BL's Warhammer Crime imprint, which I hadn't read before. From what I can surmise, Warhammer Crime is a line of books for featuring the rampant crime and corruption within the 40k setting. So think noir cyberpunk detective/police stories, as opposed to 40k standard fare—grimdark military shoot'em ups.

Besides never having read a Warhammer Crime story, I'd also never read anything from Guy Haley (though I'd heard good things). And I was pleased to discover his prose, at least for briskly-paced genre reading, was up to snuff. For the record, that is a benchmark I'm perfectly happy with. Haley's prose consistently painted immersive scenes, occasionally made me smile because of its voice and vivid description, and never got hung up with exposition or anything similar. That's more or less what I mean when I describe prose as "up to snuff".

The book has two main characters: a male Imperial probator (detective) named Noctis, who is rather archetypical (disaffected booze-guzzling sleuth), though a good enough version of one. And a female tech-priest (cyborg) named Lux, who is an investigator for the Adeptus Mechanicus. I found Lux to be the slightly more compelling of the two.

As far as what I most enjoyed from the book, number one would be the gingerly handled romantic tension between the main characters. I feared Haley would rush the two together, but to my pleasant surprise he did not. Noctis and Lux's chemistry and relationship arc are the brightest parts of the story in my opinion. And the second part that I most enjoyed was the book's thorough depiction of the strange and delicate partnership between the Mechanicus and the rest of the Imperium.

As to what I thought the weakest part of the story was, that would be the actual crime itself. The driving force of the story. It was perfectly plausible and well-thought out, but it lacked emotional stakes. And by that I mean so long as the main characters survived working the case, it wouldn't much matter if it was solved or not. Neither character would have been haunted if they failed to bring the principal criminals to "justice". And I felt that was a big misstep.

Rating: 3.5 stars. Nearly all the individual parts of the story were "good enough" but none of them were special. And unfortunately those parts didn't come together to create a book greater than the sum of its parts. I'm happy I read it, but I'm hoping for more out of the next Warhammer Crime I read.

Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55509453-flesh-and-steel?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=9LwOc5MSsL&rank=1

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  3. Bone2pick

I recently finished The Unremembered Empire by Dan Abnett. For those who might not know, Dan is one of the most, if not the most, prolific Black Library authors. The man can seemingly produce a genre novel as fast as Bob Ross could paint a landscape. More importantly, the publisher's readership by and large love him.

With that in mind, I was excited to ease back into the Horus Heresy series with something from him. As I mentioned in my review of Flesh and Steel, I hadn't read anything from Black Library in years. Betrayer was the last HH story I read, which was the 24th book (including a few anthologies) in the series. The Unremembered Empire is the 27th installment. I opted to skip the ones in between, as I have done in the past with anthologies and certain authors I don't enjoy. *cough* Nick Kyme *cough* That did end up being somewhat of an error in judgement though, because while reading TUE I got the impression I would have benefited from reading Mark of Calth first. It wasn't a big deal, but I figured I should mention it.

I'm pleased to say this book exceeded my expectations. Dan's characterization of Roboute Guilliman was brilliant. The Ultramarines Primarch was farsighted. He was tormented. He was heroic. He was vulnerable. He was magnificent. With Guilliman Dan took an exceptionally powerful, traditionally "good" hero and made him as compelling as any morally grey character in a similar genre. That feat alone requires talent.

Outside of Guilliman there were lots of other terrific character showings and arcs. I'm not including names to avoid spoilers. But I want to note that Dan spread the awesomeness around, even to many of the book's lesser/supporting, non-POV characters.

The pacing is perfect. No exaggeration. The plot is high-stakes yet personal, and full of surprises. Speaking of plot, Dan is a master at knowing precisely what "cards" to reveal to his readers, which ones to keep secret, and which ones to hint he might play. That skill (intuition?) helps him craft a totally captivating, page-turning reading experience whenever he fires on all cylinders—which he did in this book.

The second half of The Unremembered Empire transitions from a science-fantasy thriller into an action horror. Things get scary. Things get bloody. And at the end of it all, the principal characters, those who managed to survive at least, are significantly changed. And in terms of the bigger picture of the Heresy this book is must read.

Rating: 5 stars. This was nearly all that I could hope for out of this franchise. I can't think of any story out of Black Library that I've enjoyed more. I've always been a fan, but after reading The Unremembered Empire I now hold Dan Abnett in even higher esteem.

I do have one caveat though: if you haven't read anything from the Horus Heresy series TUE shouldn't be your entry point. It's built off of too much that's come before it.

Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18143885-the-unremembered-empire?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=7VNsshFpLi&rank=1

4. Bone2pick

Back with another review. I actually have several Black Library books in my reading pipeline, so you can expect more reviews after this one. That said, today's post will cover Fabius Bile: Primogenitor by Joshua Reynolds. Primogenitor—if I'm not mistaken—is the first installment of a trilogy featuring the 3rd Legion's infamous Chief Apothecary. And I'm pleased to report it's chock-full of Chaos Space Marine awesomeness.

The book has two main characters, one of which is Bile (obviously), and the other is Oleander Koh, who also happens to be an Emperor's Children apothecary. In fact, Oleander served as one of Bile's "students" prior to the events of the story. One of the cool features of both main characters essentially being military medics/field surgeons is that Reynolds has them perceive problems—be they tactical, social, or anything else—similar to how a physician would perceive a wound or illness. This helps give the story a fresh style when compared against other 40k books.

"We are all damned, but do not think that makes us equal. I saw Chemos at the height of its glory, and was with the Phoenician at the moment of his apotheosis. I walked through the fires of Isstvan and made a coat from the skins of my brothers. I am father to a new age of gods and monsters." ~ Chief Apothecary Fabius Bile

Primogenitor shines in several respects, but Reynold's dialogue is its brightest spot in my opinion. Every conversation left me with the impression that it had been finely tuned. And every exchange, no matter how brief, always offered something interesting. Even the barbs and threats, as copious as they are, help define the volatile and long-spanning relationships within the story.

The deeper into the book you read the deeper the conversations get. That's when the heart and soul of the story finally reveals itself — through debate/argument over the historical successes and failures of the traitor legions (specifically the Emperor's Children) and whether or not they are presently on the "right" path or not. And if not, will they ever be? Could they ever be? As wicked as the protagonists undeniably are, Reynolds shows us that their tortured souls still long, and in some cases hope, for a more noble existence.

Beyond dialogue, Primogenitor has top-notch, immersive description. A worthy plot. Mysterious and very capable antagonists. And above average quality action scenes. Even better than the actual combat, is the unrelenting threat of combat. Because the protagonists are Chaos Space Marines, and because Reynolds is a talented author, he makes you feel like violence could erupt at nearly any moment in the story.

Rating: 4.5 stars. Compared against the outstanding 5 star book I reviewed before this, Primogenitor was an ever so slight drop-off in quality. It didn't have quite the level of surprise, emotional exploration, and character arc resolution. But it's still a fantastic Warhammer story; I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I would strongly recommend it to any 40k reader.

Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29430435-fabius-bile

Not the Territory likes this.
  5. Bone2pick

Another post, another review. This one is a slight departure from my previous reviews, as it pulls from the Warhammer Fantasy universe. I have to admit that, before reading this book — which is actually a three novel omnibus — I hadn't read so much as a single WF story. I've always found 40k to be the more compelling of the two settings, and I can't imagine that will ever change. That said, I recently felt an urge to start shuffling some Warhammer Fantasy books into my to-read list, and what more conventional way to kick things off than with the first Gotrek & Felix Omnibus.

Goodreads link: Gotrek & Felix

For those who might not know, Gotrek & Felix are a (somewhat) comedic Sword & Sorcery duo within the Warhammer Fantasy setting. Full disclosure: comedy heavy action-adventure stories generally aren't my cup of tea — I prefer more dramatic/serious tones and stakes. But Gotrek & Felix are such popular characters from Warhammer Fantasy — they're practically synonymous with it — and I wanted to give them (and author William King) a chance to win me over.

I'll start with saying: I like the two main characters. They wouldn't make my short list of my favorite Sword & Sorcery protagonists, but they're compelling enough to hold my interest and cheer for. One could argue that Felix is the only "legitimate" main character, and that Gotrek is merely a supporting character, as the former receives the lion's share of character development, and we're never offered Gotrek's POV. I think I remember reading more than one Goodreads reviewer complain about that. I wouldn't complain about it, though, because the way that I see it: the disparity in character development is by design and facilitates their stories.

To expand on that, Gotrek's role (oddly enough) reminded me of Santa Clause in the 1994 remake of Miracle On 34th Street. In that movie Santa was a main character in the sense that (1) he was aligned with the other protagonists, and (2) the story wouldn't work if you removed him. He was inarguably essential. Yet Saint Nick's character arc was flat; he didn't undergo significant change. The actual character development in the film happened with the other main characters. Santa, as the living, breathing spirit of Christmas, was functionally the engine for the film's plot, as opposed to the one who most benefits from overcoming the central conflict. And the same is true for Gotrek. The slayer is the embodiment of combat, courage, and adventure, and serves as the engine for the duo's plots.

An overall problem I had with the stories relates to King's prose — it was pedestrian at times. And that's not a criticism I often level, as I have a higher tolerance for plainish writing than your typical literature enthusiast. To be more clear, his writing was clean enough, but it never sparkled. It didn't pack much punch. And as a result it didn't paint vivid, striking imagery. So that was disappointing.

Because the omnibus features three novels, I've divided my ratings accordingly.

Trollslayer Rating: 4 stars. My favorite book of the omnibus. An introduction of the characters via dark fantasy adventures, all of which had a pleasing blend of comedy, action, and horror. Trollslayer's fast pace, plentiful thrills, and satisfying endings made up for the vanilla writing.

Skavenslayer Rating: 3.5 stars. The second book smartly fleshed out Felix's backstory, but it offered only one enemy for our duo. Another knock was the skaven being more cartoonish than the monsters in Trollslayer. As a consequence, the stakes didn't feel as high.

Demonslayer Rating: 2.5 stars. Poorly paced with too much travel time, and two uneventful/unmemorable voyage layovers. There's also a skaven (yes, them again) subplot that feels uninspired and unnecessary.

Ultimately I'm happy to have read Gotrek & Felix's first omnibus, but I'm also happy to put them behind me and keep rolling through my to-read list. Do I intend to pick up their second omnibus in the future? Maybe. But likely not for a while.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Grimwyl likes this.
  6. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

What a great thread!

I'm a big fan of Gotrek and Felix. I've read all of them. Well, there's a couple new ones I need to get to still. All of the old omnibus ones is what I mean. The concept is so fun.

And I agree with you on Dan Abnett. He's unusually good. He can build up characters SO fast. It's very strange, and really, worth studying. He can drop in a new character and detail them in such a way that you really care about them quickly. He gets that done in less than page. It's remarkable. (And then he kills the character and you feel awful, haha.) He knows how to write action too. There's an aspect to his writing that is very cinematic, for lack of a better word. AND he's got that statured British voice. Just the way he phrases his sentences really works.

My favorite work by him is Eisenhorn. I guess that's pretty much a gold standard if you're a W40k fan, so I can't pretend it's a surprising choice. If you haven't read it though (dear reader) and really like action sci-fi, it is very highly recommended from me.

This (below) is the book that got me into Warhammer 40k. It has a really good selection of short stories and really shows the hopelessness of what humanity's facing. When you really think about how they're facing defeat on every front, it makes sense that humans would become so ruthless. If we can't have it, then no one can.

For me, the title sold it. (titles do matter)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Bone2pick likes this.
  7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

You might skip the remaining King books and go straight to Nathan Long. His Blackheart books are fun too, though the series ended prematurely.

Bone2pick likes this.
  8. Bone2pick

I'm currently reading Aaron Dembski-Bowden's The Talon of Horus, and after it the first Eisenhorn book is next on my list. :read2:

Seven Crowns likes this.
  9. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Gosh, I haven't read any 40k books in such a long time (and never read any Warhammer Fantasy, even though I am a fan of that setting also). The only authors I remember by name are Dan Abnett and Graham McNeil. I enjoyed the latter's Ultramarines stories very much, as I recall (Nightbringer, Warriors of Ultramar, and especially Dead Sky Black Sun). I also fondly remember some of the Horus Heresy novel, namely the first three which deal with the fall of the Warmaster himself, the Thousand Sons ones, and Mechanicus, plus certain others I'm surely forgetting. I own maybe twenty of those books, but I haven't read them all. I really should fish them out of that cardboard box and try to find some extra shelf space. I fell out of the 40k thing for a number of years, but I've been getting back in there.

I'd love to read some Imperial Guard stuff, preferably something in a Military Fiction vein (I know, how are you ever gonna find that in the 41st millennium?). I did read one Ciaphas Cain novel, and that's not quite what I have in mind. Big battles, campaigning, ensemble cast, camaraderie, footslogging, that sort of stuff. I'm guessing Gaunt's Ghosts is good for that type of thing?

10. Bone2pick

I've only read a handful of 40k stories not centered around space marines, and of those I don't remember any having a military campaign focus. So unfortunately I can't offer a recommendation.

11. Bone2pick

Checked another book off my Black Library to-read list. I'm now keeping a separate list just for their stuff. While I'm always happy to dig into a highly rated BL story, I was especially pumped to read and review this next novel for two big reasons: (1) it's by an author who has written some of my favorite 40k fiction, and (2) it features Chaos Space Marines/Legionaires, the faction I've always found to be the most compelling. I'm referring to the first installment of the Black Legion Series, The Talon of Horus, by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, aka ADB.

Goodreads Link: The Talon of Horus (Black Legion #1)

I'm disappointed to report the book elicited mixed feelings from me. Much more so than any of my previous reviews. A truly bittersweet read. On the bright side, its positives range from really good to outstanding. The best being Abaddon's characterization/evolution. ADB's portrayal of him was so smart and so adroitly executed that I believe its impact will benefit the 40k line going forward, if it hasn't already. For what it's worth, I don't consider myself generous with that level of praise.

Outside of Abaddon's portrayal, ADB's setup and given motivations for the creation of the Black Legion were also great. And that was critical, as those are the crux of both the story's heart and plot. Everything about the founding of Abaddon's Legion makes sense, and just as importantly, it casts the Warmaster's lot in a more dignified light.

In terms of prose, I've always considered Aaron's to be a cut above the average BL author. He has a distinct voice. Very masculine phrasing, if that means anything to you. He seemingly can't help but inject a roguish charm and rock 'n' roll edge into his writing. His authorial voice does have a gentler side, though. And while it's rarely elegant, it's sincere, passionate, and offers a rewarding perspective.

The pacing of the book was a minor issue for me. It's first person POV, and the story frequently breaks for lengthy-ish introspection from the main character. Admittedly, I enjoyed much of it. But there were times when the introspection came at the expense of narrative tension. And upon reflection, I wish some of those pages were used for additional plot or character moments.

A bigger issue for me was that outside of Abaddon — who isn't introduced until nearly two thirds into the story — I wasn't enamored with any of the characters. The main/POV character, a Thousand Sons sorcerer named Khayon, has some qualities that appealed to me, but also aspects that rubbed me the wrong way. Power level being one of the latter. His bonded companions (a daemon wolf and female dark eldar [think succubus]) being another. As to the rest of cast, a handful of Chaos Space Marines were moderately intriguing, but none of them were given an especially memorable moment. I was particularly disappointed that Khayon's longtime companion and former mentor, a brother Thousand Sons sorcerer, never had a defining scene. That still strikes me as an egregious wasted opportunity.

Khayon's starship hosts a unique machine spirit that I also have mixed feelings towards. I'll leave it at that, because explaining it would require a spoiler-filled paragraph or two, and I'd rather just elaborate on my power level gripe and wrap up this review.

I understand that Chaos sorcery is an awesomely potent force. I honestly do. And I acknowledge the 40k setting is populated with all sorts of demigod tier beings. That's partly why I love it so much. But when I read stories from this genre I need the protagonist(s), no matter how powerful they are, to be pushed to their limits. And I by and large feel Khayon wasn't. His sorcery is ridiculously versatile, accessible, and provided an all-too-convenient solution to many of the problems he faced. For those who might want specifics I'm including brief examples/spoilers. To be clear, it's not any single feat of sorcery that was the problem (well, maybe...) it's that they're all in his magical toolbox, and it's wide open as to what else is in the box.

He can read minds. He can easily disintegrate an Astartes — a Legion champion for that matter — despite suffering from a heavily bleeding gut wound. He can pull a mortal back from the brink of death (female dark elder) and provide them with sorcery-powered life indefinitely. He can rewire a rival Legionaries' brain and make them completely under his control. He can instantly summon a greater daemon capable of tearing apart twenty battle ready Chaos Space Marines. He can telekinetically haul a massive starship across space and then hurl it at a planet. Keep in mind these are all in-book feats.

Rating: 3.5 stars. On one hand I view The Talon of Horus as significantly better than the overwhelming majority of 3.5 star books, but on the other hand the parts that disappointed or bothered me left quite an impression.

12. Bone2pick

Finished the 28th installment of the Horus Heresy series, Scars by Chris Wraight. I hadn't read Chris before, but the Black Library readership generally speaks well of his work, so I was happy to give him a shot. And as a bonus, this book brought me back to my favorite era/corner of the 40k universe — the Horus Heresy. I can't remember if I've already revealed that, for me, the HH is the juiciest part of the setting. The filet mignon, if you will. The crème de la crème. But in case I haven't, I feel it's worth mentioning.

Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18143803-scars

Compared against the other Legions, I've long felt the White Scars were one of the least interesting. They were definitely in my bottom tier, along with the Imperial Fists and World Eaters. So I'm grateful that Wraight's Scars made enough of a positive impression to bump them out of my Heresy cellar.

In my opinion, the greatest "big picture" achievements of the novel are (1) it serves as a proper introduction of the Legion's Primarch, Jaghatai Khan, and (2) it provides a logical and satisfying reason as to why the fifth Legion has largely been removed from the early events of the Heresy. The series' readership needed both of those things from this book, and Wraight delivered. So Kudos to him for that.

He also delivered a worthwhile plot, with sufficient tension and the right amount of action beats. And he explored many of the distinctive aspects of the White Scars, such as their Mongolian-inspired culture, their Librarians' (Stormseers) unique perspective of the Warp, as well as their relationships with some of the other Legions. Scars had several gripping scenes, but the brightest spot — the most "Heresy epic" moment — was Jaghatai Khan's encounter with Magnus the Red, Primarch of the Thousand Sons. Their dialogue was so significant and emotionally charged, that I would argue it was actually the book's climax, rather than the demigod duel that soon followed it.

In terms of criticisms, I felt that outside of Jaghatai, the personalities and voices of the White Scars Legionaries were too similar. Almost monolithic. And while the plot, action, and character arcs were all good, none of them were top of the class Black Library quality.

Rating: 4 stars. A worthy and important installment to the Horus Heresy series, but only offers one truly special scene.

13. Bone2pick

Chaos (aka Renegade) Space Marines have long been my favorite 40k faction. I've likely already divulged that somewhere in this thread, and if so I apologize for repeating myself. I merely bring it up in order to elaborate on why. Despite what you might suspect, it's not on account of their obvious 'edgy' qualities: their fearsome look, their battle savagery, their nigh rockstar villain status within the setting. Okay, admittedly some of those things do factor into it. But they aren't the primary reason.

That would be their pathos. Traitor Astartes rejected what they swore to uphold, what they were (literally) transformed to defend, and what their magnificent God-Emperor demanded of them. They sold their souls and sealed their contracts with the transhuman blood of their battle brothers. In some instances they did so with laughter on their lips, others with tears on their cheeks. For those sins they are damned and rightfully hated. And they all-too-often hate themselves — also rightfully. Their history, present, and foreseeable future is utterly tragic.

To some extent they remind me of a handful of people in my life — mostly extended family members and childhood friends — who had so much potential, so much beautiful promise in their youth, but due to their devastatingly bad choices, wasted it. Sadly, there are no do-overs in this world. Those individuals can never amount to what they could have been, and never outrun the fallout of their failures. But I hold out hope that some of them, through great effort and recompense, will manage to rekindle a bit of that laudable fire that once burned so brightly inside them. An ember for a measure of self-worth. For peace.

Do most Black Library stories featuring Chaos Space Marines successfully explore that theme? Of course not. Some don't even attempt to. But Fabius Bile: Clonelord by Josh Reynolds does, and it delivers much more than that.

The sequel has an outstanding cast of distinct characters — even better than the previous installment — and each one is smartly given individual attention. The action is excellent, often offering surprises. And in every instance I can remember, the combat helps develop one or more of the characters.

"I am — I was — the last crusader, and this was my city on the hill. The pinnacle of renewal, cast down by barbarians. The banner of science, trod into the dust of ages by the boots of brute ignorance." ~ Chief Apothecary Fabius Bile

Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/37120505-fabius-bile

Like the previous book in the series, the dialogue in Clonelord proves to be its choicest cut of meat. Each character speaks with their own interesting voice. And every conversation adds something worthwhile, and builds anticipation for future conflicts. Simply and honestly, it's the best dialogue I've ever read from Black Library.

The book also raises a notable thought provoking-question, one I can't remember ever reading before. I'm putting it in spoilers though, because it strongly hints at Fabius's central dilemma.
    If there was someone from your past who you lost forever, who you once loved, revered, and needed, but who failed and abandoned you in your most trying time, would you bring them back into your life and attempt the relationship again, with the benefit of a clean slate, if you had the power?

Rating: 5 stars. This is my Chaos Space Marine story. It's the one I've been waiting for.

14. Bone2pick

Mike Brook's Alpharius: Head of the Hydra was my first taste of The Horus Heresy: Primarch's series — I've got a lot of catching up to do — and, unfortunately for me, the shortish novel proved thoroughly unappetizing. Even more so than a typical Warhammer book, I had hoped this story would leave me satiated. Four stars or better, to be precise.

There're a couple of reasons for that: the first and primary one being that the Alpha Legion has long been one of my three favorite Legiones Astartes (Death Guard and the Iron Warriors being the other two). The second reason being that, outside of Dan Abnett's Legion, I hadn't read a good story with the Twentieth Legion as the protagonist. So this one needed to deliver the goods.

Goodreads link: Alpharius (The Horus Heresy: Primarchs #14)

Sadly, it didn't even come close. In what ways did Brook's Head of the Hydra disappoint me? His prose for starters; it was subpar in nearly all aspects. His sentences were too often prosaic, overly explanatory, and constructed with abysmal word economy. I could offer an abundance of examples of the kind of writing that I'm referring to, but a handful will likely be enough to convince you. In the spoiler below are excerpts from the book where Brooks dutifully reminds his readers that Primarch Alpharius — in case anyone might be unaware — is in fact superior to normal humans.

Page 10 I soar on, avoiding the blasts of gun emplacements thanks to my reflexes, against which no mortal enemy could hope to triumph.

Page 10 (referring to himself) A mortal could not have managed this manoeuvre; it is doubtful they'd have even survived it.

Page 45 However, I was not a mortal, and my bursts of stubber fire found and dropped the first, the second...

Page 46 Hugrid was only mortal, and so I was several steps ahead of him.

Page 54 My senses are many times sharper than those of a normal human, but even so, I would struggle in these conditions.

Page 133 I wasn't the Wolf King or the Night Haunter, but my senses were still far beyond those of a mortal.

Even when read in isolation, none of the above are up to snuff writing in my opinion. And together they strike me as unforgivably uninspired, and frankly amateurish. I expect better from even the middle tier Black Library storytellers.

As you might imagine, Brook's bush league prose resulted in his action scenes being an absolute slog to get through. Considering the story's genre, that's fairly damning. Combat was described very mechanically, and in nearly every instance lacked emotional stakes. Additionally I found his dialogue insipid. And while his characterization of Alpharius did portray the Primarch's superhuman guile, it offered little else. I never felt Alpharius's gravitas, and if his flaws were put forward I either missed them or have already forgotten them.

Rating: 1.5 stars. I didn't see any evidence from this book that Mike Brooks possesses the necessary writing chops to produce a novel, be it Warhammer fiction or any other fiction, that would be worth my time.

15. Bone2pick

Continuing with the Horus Heresy series (at least with the books I deem essential), my latest read was Vengeful Spirit by Graham McNeill. Before I get into my review, I'd like to mention that McNeill's Storm of Iron, published back in 2002, was the first Black Library novel to impress me. The first one to leave me thinking: Finally, a proper 40k story. More importantly Storm of Iron was the main reason why the Iron Warriors became, and remain, my most favoritest Legion. As I've already mentioned in an earlier review, I'm especially sweet on the Alpha Legion and Death Guard, but the Iron Warriors are securely at the top of my Traitorous Trinity. And I'll always carry a level of gratitude towards Graham for that.

Vengeful Spirit (for me) proved to be a typical McNeill-caliber book; by that I mean it has a fair amount to praise, and nearly as much to criticize. I'll start with the outright good:

The description. This has always been one of McNeill's strengths. The way he might write a starship coming apart, or drop pods burning through a Hive World's atmosphere, or a godlike Primarch unexpectedly entering a room, generally falls within the 'very good' to 'wonderfully cinematic' range. Furthermore, his 40k vocabulary is second to none. His comprehensive knowledge and presentation of the technology, voidcraft, military equipment, and warp metaphysics within the universe creates a vibrant, fully realized setting.

The book's primary plot, which features the Sons of Horus, was decently compelling. In a big picture sense the narrative events are worthy of a Horus Heresy novel. But McNeill stuffed the book with somewhat minor POV characters and subplots, and not all of them earn their pages. Some of the better storylines include "Little Horus" Aximand's, Knight House Devine's, the Ultramarines', and a certain disaffected Legionary's that I won't name/spoil. Some of the poorer storylines include the Blood Angels', the combat medic's, and the Death Guard's.

Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18775295-vengeful-spirit

In my estimation McNeill's dialogue generally runs in the range of 'good enough' to 'disappointing.' As a storyteller, this is his biggest obstacle to greatness. And this limitation is one of my biggest issues with Vengeful Spirit. Horus Lupercal and Ezekyle Abaddon, two of the series most iconic and influential characters, especially suffer from uninspired dialogue.

The climax is okay, but it doesn't deliver any jaw-dropping surprises. And I can't help but feel that it should have.

Rating: 3 stars. A reasonably enjoyable yet admittedly bloated installment. The writing quality is mostly there, but it juggles too much.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  16. Bone2pick

I finished Pharos, the 34th Horus Heresy installment by Guy Haley, and I was emphatically disappointed. Not with the writing/prose — Haley is competent enough in that respect. The storytelling (plot, characters, climax, etcetera) however, left everything to be desired. My complaints mostly boil down to me feeling that the book has an unconscionable lack of character development. And that missing ingredient (unsurprisingly) spoiled nearly every one of Pharos’s storylines.

When I neared the end of the book I couldn’t help but question some of Haley’s choices. Questions such as: Why were the Primarchs not given more page time? Why were the Night Lords so uncharacteristically inept? Why was Captain Corvo, who plays a large role in the climax, introduced so late into the story? Why is Pollux pictured prominently on the book’s cover when he plays a relatively minor role? Who even is the book’s main character?

One compliment I will pay Pharos — I wish I could give it more — is that its few scenes featuring Primarch Sanguinius were legitimately Horus Heresy worthy. It’s too bad he didn’t play a more central role, considering he’s a bonafide legend within the canon, and has more personal and political concerns to wrestle with than any other character in novel.

Rating: 2 stars. Hopefully this is the worst story I’ll ever read from Haley.

Goodreads link: Pharos (The Horus Heresy #34)

~~~​

After Pharos I read Fulgrim: The Palantine Phoenix, a Primarch series novel by Josh Reynolds, and I was once again impressed with Mr. Reynolds. This is only the third story I’ve read of his, yet I’m ready to place him in my top tier of Black Library authors, along with Abnett and Aaron Dembski-Bowden. I’ve seen enough. He’s intelligent, his themes are powerfully delivered and pose worthwhile questions. He writes more compelling dialogue than anyone at Black Library. He has a clear understanding of the Warhammer universe. And most importantly, he understands human concerns and motivations.

I was bummed to learn Reynolds no longer writes for BL. While I acknowledge it’s unlikely, I hope someone over there will convince him to come back. If only for another book or two.

Anyway, in this shortish novel Fulgrim attempts to bring a sovereign world into the ever-expanding Imperium via diplomacy. For me, this premise proved to be an interesting new flavor of Heresy-era story. It offered the readership an example of how a Legion and its Primarch, in some instances, make efforts for peaceful annexations as opposed to drop podding ceramite boots on the ground. Reynolds wisely doesn’t hinge the book on whether Fulgrim is successful or not. Instead his tale reveals if the Phoenician is actually as committed to peaceful transitions of power as he believes himself to be.

One of the talents top tier Black Library authors all share, is that they can lead the faithful Warhammer readership into new narrative terrain, and by and large receive praise for doing so. Earning adulation, rather than howls of objection. It’s a tricky tightrope to walk, and it requires perfectly attuned instincts. Reynolds has this ability.

Rating: 4 stars. Very good and surprisingly very fresh, though not quite as succulent as his Fabius Bile books.

Goodreads link: Fulgrim (The Horus Heresy: Primarchs #6)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    Seven Crowns likes this.
  17. Bone2pick

Finished an omnibus.

Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium, Sandy Mitchel. Despite this being 40k, and highly rated by the readership, and written with a character voice and overall prose I enjoyed, I wasn’t the target audience for this character/series.

My rub is that Commissar Cain is a man with a snappy sense of humor, an understandable (and comical) reluctance to put himself in harm’s way, and has the security of many more layers of plot armor than a typical Black Library protagonist. In short, his stories are lighthearted action comedies. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that, but I prefer my 40k fiction to take itself serious — biblically serious. Maximum danger, maximum stakes, unabashedly melodramatic.

Rating: 2.5 stars

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/588333.Hero_of_the_Imperium

18. Bone2pick

I recently jumped back on the Horus Heresy train to read The Path of Heaven by Chris Wraight, and was rewarded for doing so. It’s a fine installment. I was particularly impressed with Wraight’s characterizations of his principal antagonists, Primarch Mortarian and Lord Commander Eidolon.

The White Scars get thoroughly bloodied in this story. Noteworthy sacrifices were made. And the stage was left artfully set for a universe-defining showdown on Terra. Rating: 4 stars

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/28956049-the-path-of-heaven

19. Bone2pick

Finished another one.

The Master of Mankind, Aaron Dembski-Bowden. This Horus Heresy novel turned out to be a game changer. A rare Black Library offering that actually adjusted my understanding of the 40k setting. Specifically my knowledge of the Emperor’s vision for the Imperium, His emotional attachment (or lack thereof) for His Primarchs, and when and how the warp-free future for mankind became impossible.

ADB was in top form when he wrote this. The characterizations, the world insights, the stakes of the plot... All exceptional. Anyone who enjoys reading 40k fiction should read this book. Rating: 5 stars

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33303512-the-master-of-mankind

20. Bone2pick

Finished two books.

Mortarion: The Pale King, David Annadale. With the Death Guard being one of my three favorite Legions, this volume of the Primarch Series was a must read. After finishing the book I can’t quite judge it as top-shelf 30k fiction — at least two additional character-driven chapters, especially in the later half of the book, would have greatly improved it — but overall Annadale’s story was very satisfying. And I appreciate that he took the opportunity to emphasize some of Mortarion’s commendable aspects, such as the Primarch’s benevolence and humility in victory. Rating: 4 stars

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60483879-mortarion?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=OmNSsQZgQi&rank=4

The Flight of the Eisenstein, James Swallow. This was a reread, and unfortunately it wasn’t as good as I remembered. Stiff dialogue. Unremarkable characterizations. And an underwhelming climax. On the plus side, I appreciate what the novel’s plot added to the canon. Rating: 2.5 stars

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/80155.The_Flight_of_the_Eisenstein

21. Bone2pick

Attempted to read two books, but only finished one.

Praetorian of Dorn, John French. This book is confusing and awful. Snatches of scenes. Underdeveloped characters. Nothing connected with me — I was never invested. I forced myself to get halfway through it before quitting and forgetting. Rating: DNF

Fabius Bile: Manflayer, Josh Reynolds. The grand finale of Reynolds’ Chaos Space Marine series staring the 3rd Legion’s mad genius apothecary. The first half of Manflayer doesn’t quite stack up when compared against the author’s better output — especially the chapters featuring the Drukhari (dark eldar). And Reynolds’ normally first-rate dialogue isn’t as sharp throughout the whole book, which was a bit disappointing.

That said, Reynolds manages to tighten the plot and up the stakes in the second half, and he delivers a great ending to drop the curtain on one of the few, truly remarkable 40k series. Rating: 4 stars

The previous installment, Fabius Bile: Clonelord is in my estimation the crown jewel of Reynold’s work with Fabius. It is a stunning stained glass window within 40k’s towering cathedral of canon. In case anyone might be interested, I would include Reynolds’ Fulgrim: The Palantine Phoenix as part of the Fabius Bile series. And my suggested reading order would be: (1) Fulgrim: The Palantine Phoenix, (2) Fabius Bile: Primogenitor, (3) Fabius Bile: Clonelord, and (4) Fabius Bile: Manflayer.

~~~​
    “Are you mad?”​

Fabius looked down at the flowers that crept across the nearby vines. “Madness is a matter of perspective as well as context. The actions of a lunatic may well prove sane, when viewed at a distance.”​

Skalagrim growled deep in his throat. “The question was rhetorical. I know you’re mad. But what I do not know is when you crossed the line from mad to suicidal.”​

Fabius turned back from the flowers. “I am tired of running. I ran from Terra. From Arden. From Harmony. From Urum, Lugganath and Solemnace. I have spent my life running from the knife. Running from the stone.” He crushed the blossom. “The running ends here. My story ends here, for good or ill.” ~ Fabius Bile: Manflayer

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  22. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

My only trip into the Warhammer universe was with the BloodBowl books. They were a fun read years ago, the computer game version of the books is fun, especially the play by play from the commentators.

Bone2pick likes this.
  23. Bone2pick

I’ve read a few Warhammer books over the last few months, none of which (thankfully) were bad. Here they are:

Sanguinius: The Great Angel, Chris Wright

The Deacon of Wounds, David Annandale

Perturabo: The Hammer of Olympia, Guy Haley

The reason I came back to update this thread, though, is that I just finished Assassinorum: Kingmaker by Robert Rath, and it‘s awesome :superagree: (4.5 stars). It’s a black ops thriller with loads of court intrigue. The story is very smartly plotted, as well as impressively paced. It has several surprises, ranging from heroic to tragic. And the three main characters are distinct, flawed and compelling. Everything about the novel struck me as inspired and polished. I’m excited to read more from this author.